IGNORED

Wildly erratic odometer

Riderdrumr

On my way to work this AM, I knew I would be turning 10k miles. Since it would be while I was on the NJTP I knew it would be easy to know within the 1/10th when it would change. (Yes, I know I could've used the tripmeter but I have them set for something else) I started tracking at 9,993. It turned 9,994 at the xx1.9 marker. Fine. At the next mile I looked down at xx2.8 and it had already changed to 9,995!!! Wth??? OK, BMW. You have my attention. So now I'm looking down a lot. Luckily for me traffic in the right hand lane isn't that bad at that time of the morning on a Friday. Long story short, it changed in as few as 6/10th's and in as many as 14/10ths! Yes, it appears to average out but my well thought-out question to all of you is: WTH..?!?!?

Supposition here, but its probably being stored in KM in the internal storage and then being converted to miles for the display.  Perhaps there is rounding taking place there.

Edited by alegerlotz
fix typo

5 minutes ago, alegerlotz said:

Supposition here, but its probably being stored in KM in the internal storage and then being converted to miles for the display.  Perhaps there rounding taking place there.

Interesting theory...

In thinking more about this, .6 mi is roughly 1km (more precisely .6214 mi = 1.000 km), and twice that (1.2428 mi) is 2km.

Based on this, I definitely think that the internal Odometer storage being in KM is pretty likely and the discrepancy you're seeing being due to the conversion factor and level of precision being displayed.

Have you tested with the trip odometer?  That displays the 10ths of a mile as well, so it should be accurate to the mile and potentially differ a bit at the 10ths digit.

Edited by alegerlotz
add a thought.
2 hours ago, Riderdrumr said:

On my way to work this AM, I knew I would be turning 10k miles. Since it would be while I was on the NJTP I knew it would be easy to know within the 1/10th when it would change. (Yes, I know I could've used the tripmeter but I have them set for something else) I started tracking at 9,993. It turned 9,994 at the xx1.9 marker. Fine. At the next mile I looked down at xx2.8 and it had already changed to 9,995!!! Wth??? OK, BMW. You have my attention. So now I'm looking down a lot. Luckily for me traffic in the right hand lane isn't that bad at that time of the morning on a Friday. Long story short, it changed in as few as 6/10th's and in as many as 14/10ths! Yes, it appears to average out but my well thought-out question to all of you is: WTH..?!?!?

Afternoon  Riderdrumr

If your odometer has otherwise been accurate (or close) over the last 10,000 miles then my first guess is that the road mile markers in that area were not accurate. 

I have seen this before in other areas as mile markers get knocked down then put back up in the wrong place, or an overpass (or something)  causes the location of one or more to be placed differently.

If I use mile markers for anything more than a guess I use at least 10 miles as they usually average out over that distance. 

Run your GPS against your odometer & see how they stack up against each other.