Sign in to follow this  
wallyging

Replace fuel strip with warning switch on 2012 R1200R?

wallyging

In 47,000 miles the fuel strip on my 2012 R1200R has been replaced eight times and is bad again. I just recently purchased the bike, and my tech tells me the fuel strips in the R bikes always go bad so replacing them is never a permanent solution. So I'm looking at alternatives.

I am about to install the fuel strip spoof devised by TXJames over on ADVrider, but before I do I thought I would ask if anyone has replaced the fuel strip with the warning switch (p/n 16 14 8 547 989) that BMW uses on the later model R bikes and R nine T bikes up to 8/16. From what I've read the instrument panel is different on those bikes and I'm sure the computer is programmed differently for switch than it is for the fuel strip, but perhaps there is a way to modify the circuitry of the warning switch and/or reprogram the computer to make the warning switch turn on the low fuel warning light. If not, the spoof should at least keep the warning light from staying on all the time.

Apologies if this issue has been addressed before - I searched the forum here extensively but didn't find anything. 

dirtrider
27 minutes ago, wallyging said:

In 47,000 miles the fuel strip on my 2012 R1200R has been replaced eight times and is bad again. I just recently purchased the bike, and my tech tells me the fuel strips in the R bikes always go bad so replacing them is never a permanent solution. So I'm looking at alternatives.

I am about to install the fuel strip spoof devised by TXJames over on ADVrider, but before I do I thought I would ask if anyone has replaced the fuel strip with the warning switch (p/n 16 14 8 547 989) that BMW uses on the later model R bikes and R nine T bikes up to 8/16. From what I've read the instrument panel is different on those bikes and I'm sure the computer is programmed differently for switch than it is for the fuel strip, but perhaps there is a way to modify the circuitry of the warning switch and/or reprogram the computer to make the warning switch turn on the low fuel warning light. If not, the spoof should at least keep the warning light from staying on all the time.

Apologies if this issue has been addressed before - I searched the forum here extensively but didn't find anything. 

Afternoon Wally

You are not going to be able to reprogram your computer or dash but with some research & some trials you might be able to get that low fuel switch to change the circuit resistance in the fuel strip spoofer enough to allow it to make the dash show low fuel level & have the low fuel light to come on.

You would also have to figure out how & where to mount that low fuel switch so it actually trigger at the correct low fuel level. 

You could probably bring the low fuel switch inputs & outputs  out of inside the tank through the exiting fuel strip wiring passthrough in the fuel pump assembly.

It sounds doable  but probably not worth all the effort if you have functioning trips sets. 

wallyging

Thanks, Dirtrider, that is helpful. I'll have to check out the inside of the tank some day to see if there might be a way to mount the switch and, if so, experiment with resistance values.

I just found a modified spoofer on ADVrider that adds a third resistor to simulate the heater which makes it possible to spoof the computer without cutting into the wiring harness. I'm going to give that a try and see if it works on the R bikes like it does on the GS models, and will post my results.

fuel strip spoof.jpg