IGNORED

LCD Screen goes dim after sitting in the sun!

Quint

This has happenen to me every time I've let the bike sit for than about 20 mins: start up, and the LCD screen is so dim, I can hardly see it. After 15 mins or so of riding, it seems to darken up enough to read again.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it a BMW gremlin, or more a characteristic with LCD displays? Does anyone have an answer?! dopeslap.gif

They all do that. It's a characteristic of LCDs. Though they could have chosen a different one that wouldn't change so easily.

I never had a problem with the LCD screen on my VFR. I haven't so far had that problem with my RT either but that may be just because I haven't left it long enough in the right conditions. However a friend of mine did have problems with the LCD screen on his GPS. If he left in the sun too long it was hard to read.

Fenlanderstrasse

Yeah that's a LCD characteristic - limited temperature tolerance, it also loses contrast at low temperatures.

They all do that. It's a characteristic of LCDs. Though they could have chosen a different one that wouldn't change so easily.
Well I don't think it's a characteristic of all LCD displays in general. I have a $39 LCD time/voltage/temp aux. display on my 12GS just below the factory display that gets all the same sun, and temps and it isn't phased by it a bit.

But you are correct, the BMW factory displays do all do it. Poor choice of LCD manufacture IMHO.

Don't need no stink display to go ridin' anyway!

Archived