IGNORED

R1200 throttle body cam/pulley temporary reinforcement

PNWrider

There has been a fair amount of commentary on this forum and others about the R1200 plastic cam / pulley failure.  While I was resolving some problems following a clutch R&R, I posted some photos of the left side throttle body of my 2011 R1200.  Dirtrider immediately told me that I had a serious throttle body issue that was not related to the problem that I was having at that point.  During forum messaging Hati suggested I post an alternative temporary repair.  

Apparently the cracking and eventual total failure of the plastic cam / pulley component of the throttle body is fairly common.  There is some conjecture that eventually all of the plastic cam / pulley will crack and fail.  

The following photo shows the plastic cam / pulley with a radial crack at about 3 o'clock.  Every photo I have seen so far on the internet of a failing cam / pulley has the first radial crack at the 3 o'clock position.  This crack location appears to be the logical location due the opposing stress created by the pull of the throttle cable and the resistance of the throttle return springs.  Dirtrider, who has replaced a number of completely failed plastic cam / pulley assemblies has written that the 3 round 'dots" on the disc are the plastic pins that secure the "sandwich" of the two sides of the plastic cam / pulley on either side of the metal throttle stop / throttle shaft and plate assembly.  

Apparently the pins are all that connects the plastic and metal components.  Total failure occurs when the plastic cam / pulley fails as well at  9 o'clock.  At that point there is no throttle setting other than idle speed.  

The real long term solution to the plastic cam / pulley failure is replacement.  The Bing Agency is now selling new plastic cam / pulley with the the throttle stop and throttle plate shaft. Dirtrider as a comprehensive step by step message on this forum on how to do this replacement. However for several reasons, I needed to get my R1200 back in service.  

This short term fix is based on a 22mm x 1.5 fiber washer.  The glued in place disc does not foul the throttle control spring on my throttle body.  The fiber material is very tough and similar to that used in steam line gaskets.  The fiber washer was glued to the plastic disc with Locktite  gel superglue.  I have used this particular adhesive where there is slight gap filling needed and ability to resist shock forces.  

Obviously this is an experimental fix and is not recommended : the plastic cam / pulley may fail in the same way as if I had done nothing,   I plan to replace both the right and left throttle body plastic cam / pulley assemblies later this spring.  In the meantime, I will write if the fiber disc fails or what is its apparent condition when I replace it.  

throttle body with dismounted cable.jpeg

IMG_1286.jpg

• Like 1

Nice. Do you have a link to a source for those washers?  Also, a link to @dirtrider's write-up would be useful for future folks looking to solve the problem. 😁

I'll see if I can get a manufacturer and part number for the fiber disk. 

In regard to purchasing the aluminum cam / pulley units vs the Bing plastic ones, I guess there is some cost - benefit analysis that comes into play: will I still be riding this R12RT in 8 to 10 years from now??

17 hours ago, Rider1260 said:

How much are the replacement plastic cams ? or how much to have Bing install them ? 

Evening  Rider1260

Cams are $20.75 each

Shafts with cams are 56.50 each 

Call TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE 620-767-7844 for shipping prices & install prices.

Problem with having Bing USA install the cams/shafts, or just the cams, is that they JUST remove the old parts then throw in the new parts with no air flow calibrations, or even any pre or post install measuring so they might be OK or could be way off as far as base air flow settings go. (at least that is what Bing USA told me last time that I called & talked to the guy actually  doing the replacements).

Might as well do that yourself & save some time & money. 

At least using my replacement method there is a good chance that you will  get the base air flow close to what the factory had. 

Now I have been told (but not confirmed by me) that IF you ship your throttle bodies to Bing in Germany that they will install the new cams, or cams/shafts, then re-calibrate the base air flow (that sounds costly). Probably have to call Bing in Germany  to confirm (don't confuse  Bing USA with the real Bing in Europe as the Bing USA  is kind of an independent deal).