lawnchairboy

Voter registration

Warren Dean
1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

As a Constitutional right, those that are eligible to vote should.  As a Constitutional right, certain requirements can be placed to ensure that only eligible voters are the actual ones voting.   I can walk into my voting precinct and say I'm Carroll Shelby, they'd write that name down and let me pick the winners........how in any world is that acceptable?  Whether it happens or not ain't even close to a point, voting is putting people in charge and only eligible voters should be doing that.

The voter fraud may be the call to enact photo ID, but I still believe it should be a requirement to "prove" you are who you say you are

Take away my ability to purchase a weapon SIMPLY because bad PEOPLE do bad things with them is Constitutional right suppression.

No disagreement with you, but, if you were concerned about who got elected and it was a requirement to get an ID, I'd venture a SWAG that you'd find a way to fund the ID.

Nothing is perfect, no system is perfect but to add an additional layer to vote for those actually concerned about who is in charge seems just a wee bit more reassurance that you are who you say you are.

Me purchasing a weapon is not a problem, but I have to deal with the get a permit, provide proof of who I am and pay various fees on top of the price of the weapon.  None of my weapons have hurt anyone, none will hurt anyone that doesn't deserve it (yes, I'd bet my life/kids life/wifes life on that).   Apples and oranges, yes, but it goes to the point of some Constitutional rights have restrictions.

For all my absentee ballots while active duty, I had to have an officer sign to verify I am who I said I am.  This is active duty military that raised their right hands to support, defend and die for the Constitution, if we require active duty personnel to have someone (a trusted officer/notary) verify why, the average citizen, should get a pass.

Very nicely said, Richard. Nice indeed. :18:

Selden

The agreement was not that he would ever change his residence,......look it up.

I looked it up before posting. That's why there is a lawsuit.

The property is taxed as a private club — not as a residence, according to Palm Beach County property appraiser records. Trump’s own attorney assured local officials in Palm Beach before they voted to approve the club in 1993 that he would not live there. 

Rougarou
14 minutes ago, Selden said:

I looked it up before posting. That's why there is a lawsuit.

Ok, I misunderstood, I thought you were implying that he agreed not to change his residence from NY to FL, not changing Mar-a-lago from club to a residence,....my misunderstanding

Anyway, from 1993, 27 years ago, have you ever changed your mind on anything?  Renegotiated an agreement, revisited an issue.......  His family lives on the grounds, he lives on the grounds, yet the place is still a members only club,....I see no concern.

As far as the agreement, my short look up was because he changed from NY to FL and NY doesn't want to lose his tax money, so they did some digging.

Meanwhile, when I was active duty, I changed my residence from LA to TN (never lived there, but did buy property) because I didn't want to pay state taxes anymore, granted, my taxes were slightly smaller than Trumps, which is probably why LA never came after me, but all is good now, as I'm paying NC taxes with two properties.

Hosstage
4 hours ago, Rougarou said:

The agreement was not that he would ever change his residence,......look it up.

No, I believe it was that Mar-a-Lago would never become a residence, for anyone.

Edit: never mind, I missed follow up conversation on this.

Hosstage
2 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Anyway, from 1993, 27 years ago, have you ever changed your mind on anything?  Renegotiated an agreement, revisited an issue.......  His family lives on the grounds, he lives on the grounds, yet the place is still a members only club,....I see no concern.

The only reason it was allowed to exist is because it was promised that it would never be a permanent residence, no member can stay for more than 14 consecutive days, something like 30 total per year. Technically, if he and his family are living there, they are violating their conditional use permit.

The big sticking point with the locals is that it is located on a marine preserve, and the original agreement promised that no piers or structures would be built in the water, but of course now the property management (DJT) has applied for a permit to build a pier.

The locals are not happy.

Yes, people change their minds after 27 years. That's why agreements are written and signed, so that short memories don't forget what the goal is.

• Thanks 1

lawnchairboy
11 hours ago, Rougarou said:

As a Constitutional right, those that are eligible to vote should.  As a Constitutional right, certain requirements can be placed to ensure that only eligible voters are the actual ones voting.   I can walk into my voting precinct and say I'm Carroll Shelby, they'd write that name down and let me pick the winners........how in any world is that acceptable?  Whether it happens or not ain't even close to a point, voting is putting people in charge and only eligible voters should be doing that.

The voter fraud may be the call to enact photo ID, but I still believe it should be a requirement to "prove" you are who you say you are

Take away my ability to purchase a weapon SIMPLY because bad PEOPLE do bad things with them is Constitutional right suppression.

No disagreement with you, but, if you were concerned about who got elected and it was a requirement to get an ID, I'd venture a SWAG that you'd find a way to fund the ID.

Nothing is perfect, no system is perfect but to add an additional layer to vote for those actually concerned about who is in charge seems just a wee bit more reassurance that you are who you say you are.

Me purchasing a weapon is not a problem, but I have to deal with the get a permit, provide proof of who I am and pay various fees on top of the price of the weapon.  None of my weapons have hurt anyone, none will hurt anyone that doesn't deserve it (yes, I'd bet my life/kids life/wifes life on that).   Apples and oranges, yes, but it goes to the point of some Constitutional rights have restrictions.

For all my absentee ballots while active duty, I had to have an officer sign to verify I am who I said I am.  This is active duty military that raised their right hands to support, defend and die for the Constitution, if we require active duty personnel to have someone (a trusted officer/notary) verify why, the average citizen, should get a pass.

Voted absentee myself for 22 years, same drill

• Like 1

Rougarou
7 hours ago, Hosstage said:

The only reason it was allowed to exist is because it was promised that it would never be a permanent residence, no member can stay for more than 14 consecutive days, something like 30 total per year. Technically, if he and his family are living there, they are violating their conditional use permit.

The big sticking point with the locals is that it is located on a marine preserve, and the original agreement promised that no piers or structures would be built in the water, but of course now the property management (DJT) has applied for a permit to build a pier.

The locals are not happy.

Yes, people change their minds after 27 years. That's why agreements are written and signed, so that short memories don't forget what the goal is.

And that's why things can be re-negotiated.  Nothing is forever.

The property is large, Mar-a-lago is STILL a country club, but seems to have facilities for residences.  

Re-zone it as a residence/business and leave it at that......I really don't see the issue......even with the pier.

Hosstage

That's because you don't live there and weren't part of the original negotiations. 

Rougarou
23 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

That's because you don't live there and weren't part of the original negotiations. 

That matters not.

Take away the pier concern and the people would still whine about what this guy does.

In looking up the "non-concern" of this, even the local news sites call it the "President's personal residence". 

The bottom line is this would be a non-player if NY hadn't started digging to maintain/gain his state taxes.  The only issue that would be of concern would be the pier, and that, is likely not due to marine preserve but as a political "getcha" move.  I guess each and every pier there was built "prior" to being called a marine reserve, which was designated over 70 years ago,....ya, uh-huh, sure

image.thumb.png.0a60dd3be3ee8e065abf3367c36fb182.pngimage.thumb.png.fab897810657c7f2c63ae27c852b0d8e.png

• Like 1

MikeB60
14 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Never once in 26 years did i have to have an officer verify who I was to get an absentee ballot from the voting officer. Must be a Marine Corps thing. 

Rougarou
6 minutes ago, MikeB60 said:

Never once in 26 years did i have to have an officer verify who I was to get an absentee ballot from the voting officer. Must be a Marine Corps thing. 

Nope, look up,...lawnchairboy had the same issues.

I never got a ballot from the voting officer, it came in the mail, but in order to send it in, I had to have a zero verify I was me.

MikeB60
5 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Nope, look up,...lawnchairboy had the same issues.

I never got a ballot from the voting officer, it came in the mail, but in order to send it in, I had to have a zero verify I was me.

I misspoke I got the forms from the voting officer and mailed those to the state.  Never needed anything else from an officer to submit the ballot to Tennessee. 

Weird, not sure why the Navy/Marine Corps would have a different requirement than the Army.  Wonder if it was a state requirement.  

Rougarou
2 hours ago, MikeB60 said:

I misspoke I got the forms from the voting officer and mailed those to the state.  Never needed anything else from an officer to submit the ballot to Tennessee. 

Weird, not sure why the Navy/Marine Corps would have a different requirement than the Army.  Wonder if it was a state requirement.  

May have been a state thing, I dunno, but I did absentee in both Louisiana and Tennessee and had a zero sign off on both.

Selden
14 hours ago, lawnchairboy said:

Voted absentee myself for 22 years, same drill

Our absentee ballots arrived in today's mail, and I realized a benefit that I had never considered. As I go through the ballot, I can do a much more thorough job of investigating each and every candidate that I would at a polling place. I may never vote in person again.

• Like 4

Red

Origone votes by mail 100%.  Has done for decades.  No obvious voter fraud.  It worries me that all the votes in the household may be voted by Pa who tells all the off spring and spouse to vote this-a-way then all the submissives sign their ballots.  But hard to prove.  I would prefer vote-in-person.  Well maybe til this year when I don't have to mingle with all those 'other' people to vote.

Red

Origone votes by mail 100%.  Has done for decades.  No obvious voter fraud.  It worries me that all the votes in the household may be voted by Pa who tells all the off spring and spouse to vote this-a-way then all the submissives sign their ballots.  But hard to prove.  I would prefer vote-in-person.  Well maybe til this year when I don't have to mingle with all those 'other' people to vote.

Red

x

Red

x

Red

x

Rougarou
10 hours ago, Selden said:

Our absentee ballots arrived in today's mail, and I realized a benefit that I had never considered. As I go through the ballot, I can do a much more thorough job of investigating each and every candidate that I would at a polling place. I may never vote in person again.

You can do that anyway by pulling up your local county's ballot.  It list the same thing.

roadscholar
5 hours ago, Red said:

x

5 hours ago, Red said:

x

5 hours ago, Red said:

x

Point taken : )

• Like 1

Selden

You can do that anyway by pulling up your local county's ballot.  It list the same thing.

That's true, but voters standing in line generally don't appreciate someone taking 30 minutes to cast their ballot. Not to mention the difficulty of remembering all the choices at the polling place. With a history of multiple hospitalizations for asthma and pneumonia, plus current management of asthma and bronchiectasis, I'm trying to stay away from public places as much as possible, because I don't like my survival odds if I contract COVID-19. Last month I sent my PCP and updated advance health care directive, and added NO VENTILATOR.

• Like 1

Hosstage
3 minutes ago, Selden said:

That's true, but voters standing in line generally don't appreciate someone taking 30 minutes to cast their ballot. 

When voting at the booth, that is not the time to start researching the candidates. That should be done long before one gets to the polling place. The list of candidates can be found pretty easily before the day of polling.

Rougarou
34 minutes ago, Selden said:

That's true, but voters standing in line generally don't appreciate someone taking 30 minutes to cast their ballot. Not to mention the difficulty of remembering all the choices at the polling place. With a history of multiple hospitalizations for asthma and pneumonia, plus current management of asthma and bronchiectasis, I'm trying to stay away from public places as much as possible, because I don't like my survival odds if I contract COVID-19. Last month I sent my PCP and updated advance health care directive, and added NO VENTILATOR.

25 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

When voting at the booth, that is not the time to start researching the candidates. That should be done long before one gets to the polling place. The list of candidates can be found pretty easily before the day of polling.

Why wait, go at "dead" times, if ye be worried about remembering who to vote for, mark your sample ballot up, bring it and use as your reference.. 

From what I gather, you live in a rural community, as I do, and for the past four years, I've lived here, I've voted, I've never been in my polling place more than 10-15 minutes,....from the time of arrival to departure.  Also, I've never encountered a line.  The longest part of the voting process, for me, is the actual voting (remarking everything).......walk up, state "I'm Selden", vote, and leave.

And if you're looking at/seeing names for the first time on the ballot when you arrive, you kinda been doing it wrong:whistle:

Selden
43 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

I won't disagree with that, but my short-term memory isn't as good as I would like. I am currently taking a language course through Babbel. One of the exercises involves flashing four boxes, without text, then the informant saying a phrase, and I have to pick the box that matching. I know the language well enough to understand what was in every box, but by the time I hear the informant, I often am unable to remember which text was in which box only 30 seconds later. My absentee ballot has 37 choices.

Filling out an absentee ballot at home means no rush, no forgetting, no coronavirus exposure, and no 15-mile round trip to town. That works best for me.

• Like 1

Colorado Jeff
On 5/19/2020 at 7:49 AM, szurszewski said:

I’m not disagreeing with you, but you might be surprised to find how many adults in the USA do not have picture ID.

My mother-in-law did not have a picture ID for the last 15 years of her life.  Her drivers license expired and they never bothered to get a different ID.  They had retired to a small town and been there for 30 years.  Everyone knew her from the local Walmart to the bank, addressed her by her first name every time we went someplace with them.  No need for an ID.

Rougarou
23 minutes ago, Selden said:

no 15-mile round trip to town.

hehe, that sounds like my wife when I ask if she want's Subway,.....but that's all the way across town,.........a whole 5 miles:whistle:

Hosstage
10 hours ago, Selden said:

I won't disagree with that, but my short-term memory isn't as good as I would like. I am currently taking a language course through Babbel. One of the exercises involves flashing four boxes, without text, then the informant saying a phrase, and I have to pick the box that matching. I know the language well enough to understand what was in every box, but by the time I hear the informant, I often am unable to remember which text was in which box only 30 seconds later. My absentee ballot has 37 choices.

Filling out an absentee ballot at home means no rush, no forgetting, no coronavirus exposure, and no 15-mile round trip to town. That works best for me.

I'm sorry to hear you're having memory issues, that must get very frustrating.

I'm not against absentee ballots, and I can certainly understand why it works for you, I was just commenting that the info on the candidates and the choices that will be made at the booth should be pretty much decided before getting there, not pulling out the phone and researching in the booth. That doesn't mean that I don't occasionally rethink my choices while staring at the check boxes! And honestly, I couldn't tell one judge from another, so I rarely cast a vote on those.

Selden
14 hours ago, Hosstage said:

I'm sorry to hear you're having memory issues, that must get very frustrating.

They aren't new; I've always been this way.:4607:

I can be working on something, put down a tool or part, and spend the next 15 minutes trying to find it.

• Like 1

Hosstage

You are not alone in that regard!

Rougarou
4 hours ago, Selden said:

They aren't new; I've always been this way.:4607:

I can be working on something, put down a tool or part, and spend the next 15 minutes trying to find it.

A. D. D. .......what’s this discussion about 

• Haha 1

Hosstage
3 hours ago, Rougarou said:

A. D. D. .......what’s this discussion about 

Something about how mean the current administration is! Or was it how inept the opposing party is? I keep losing track.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

lawnchairboy

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/02/11/can-america-safeguard-vote/

what could possibly go wrong with mailing it in.?

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2018/12/ballot-harvesting-added-over-250000-votes-in-orange-county-flipping-four-seats-blue/

H

i guess I should say 'phoning it in'...   I realize harvesting is a different ball of wax.

Selden

My wife and I turned in our ballots today. Piece of cake. I look forward to never going to a polling place again.

• Like 2

Selden
41 minutes ago, lawnchairboy said:

I would not consider the Gateway Pundit a reliable news source:

"Overall, we rate The Gateway Pundit Questionable based on extreme right wing bias, promotion of conspiracies and numerous instances of publishing false (fake) news." 

image.thumb.png.351a407274a0df26707396d55b980b6f.png

However, Gateway Pundit does rate slightly higher than Alex Jones' InfoWars.

Paul De
2 hours ago, Selden said:

lol. 

Absentee voting has been in our state for many years and I have voted this way 3 or 4 times now.  I would say it was easier except my voting ward is a two minute walk from my primary residence.  You can get a ballot at your local city hall, however you have to have a some type of state issued photo ID toi get the ballot, just like in person voting.  It needs to be validated by a second person that you filled out your own and were not coerced. Validation must be another registered voter, and yes it can be your spouse.   Voter fraud is not an issue here, no matter if you vote in person or absentee.

realshelby

Well, if Trump says it enough, Voter Fraud is a problem. 

Yet there are so few cases over this vast United States that have been proven. And those numbers found have little chance of effecting even a local election. 

There has always been vote buying, vote fraud. Always will be. 

This is simply another diversion tactic. 

• Like 2

Patallaire

I say, vote early and vote often with mail in votes. :5170: Otherwise go to a polling place, show ID and be counted fairly. 

• Like 2

Paul De
1 hour ago, Patallaire said:

I say, vote early and vote often with mail in votes. :5170: Otherwise go to a polling place, show ID and be counted fairly. 

Don't know about all states, but in Wisconsin you have to show a state issued photo ID of some sort, or your US issued passport regardless, if you vote in person or mail in an absentee ballot. No cases of mail in voting fraud in the years it has been in place in its current form where you no longer need a reason to vote absentee. To register the first time you will also need a utility bill, property tax record, rental documents ect again regardless of voting method. Now it is simply called early voting.   Worked great for us as we hid out in the Northwoods away from the CVD-19 hotspot for our primary in April.  Will do it for the general election as well.  Regardless of voting method we here are counted fairly once and only once.

Rinkydink

For the life of me I don’t understand why any American would be against ANY common sense plan of action to keep our voting process honest and aboveboard. As much $$ that our government wastes why not go ahead and pay for the people’s IDs that can’t seem to leave their house to get one. We seem to be able to get $1200 to everybody. Were they able to get to the bank and cash those checks without IDs? I haven’t heard any calls of racism in that regard. 

Hell, they even want to give illegal aliens (yes I refuse to  use the term undocumented) the right to vote. Splain it to me Lucy. 

Wow, just wow

• Like 2

realshelby

Because it ( voter ID ) isn't about keeping our voting process honest and aboveboard. 

It already is. 

WE don't need more laws and more money spent on something that is working quite well. 

No, this is all about keeping a certain segment of United States Citizens from voting. Not racist, not picking on citizens that are poor. The Right Wing just does not want them voting as they typically don't vote Republican. Simple as that. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Rougarou
27 minutes ago, realshelby said:

Because it ( voter ID ) isn't about keeping our voting process honest and aboveboard. 

It already is. 

WE don't need more laws and more money spent on something that is working quite well. 

No, this is all about keeping a certain segment of United States Citizens from voting. Not racist, not picking on citizens that are poor. The Right Wing just does not want them voting as they typically don't vote Republican. Simple as that. 

Has there been any right winger that has specifically said that "we want voter ID laws so that minority's and poor cannot vote" in any recent times.  If no, than what you have is an "assumption, speculation, conspiracy", nothing more.   I think its opposite where the right wing are vying for the minority votes,.....but that's just what I see.

You say it's "not a problem", how do you know?  just because something can't be proven doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist,......look at Lance Armstrong, how long did it take to "prove" a problem,....look at big tobacco, how long did it take to be "proven" to be a problem........Are any of the fraudulent voters gonna "fess up" saying "ya, I voted ten times in ten counties",. ......likely not.

• Like 2

realshelby

I know it is not a problem because you cannot find enough cases of voter fraud being prosecuted to amount to a problem. That is a fact you can study yourself. 

Again, this is simply a distraction to try to force photo ID as a requirement to vote. It won't do much if any to effect voter fraud. It WILL effect how many vote. And guess how many of those United States Citizens that don't get a photo ID in time to vote are in a demographic group not favorable to the Republican Party? 

Republicans vying for minority votes? Sure, they need all they can get. But certainly you realize that the group of minorities they are after don't fit the demographics of those that might not currently have a photo ID?

roadscholar

Then there's the (ex) Broward County supervisor of elections.  :grin:  :facepalm:

snipes-stickers--557x600.jpg

• Like 1

Rinkydink
46 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

Then there's the (ex) Broward County supervisor of elections.  :grin:  :facepalm:

snipes-stickers--557x600.jpg

Add to that...giving a candidate the questions pre-debate. 

Nope, everything is aboveboard, legit, fair, honest, and on the up and up. 

Why is it the right is always blamed for trying to rig elections but at the same time we are to believe the left are all for fairness in our voting process. 

Sorry, I don’t trust any of them. 

Rougarou
1 hour ago, realshelby said:

I know it is not a problem because you cannot find enough cases of voter fraud being prosecuted to amount to a problem. That is a fact you can study yourself. 

Key word, "enough".  Just because it's not overall proven (here, let's use "prosecuted"), doesn't mean it isn't happening. 

As with much "crime" if a small amount are getting caught, there's likely a larger amount getting away with it........speed much? (and it doesn't seem to be a "problem")

Again, this is simply a distraction to try to force photo ID as a requirement to vote. It won't do much if any to effect voter fraud. It WILL effect how many vote. And guess how many of those United States Citizens that don't get a photo ID in time to vote are in a demographic group not favorable to the Republican Party? 

How do you know it won't effect voter fraud, are you Nostradamus or a Pre-Cog, you can fully predict x won't affect y?

Republicans vying for minority votes? Sure, they need all they can get. But certainly you realize that the group of minorities they are after don't fit the demographics of those that might not currently have a photo ID?

So you're saying that the republicans don't want the poor minority votes and are not trying to get those also.  By showing how much the democratic party has "done" for the poor and minority, methinks the republicans ARE trying to get those.

realshelby
52 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

So you're saying that the republicans don't want the poor minority votes and are not trying to get those also.  By showing how much the democratic party has "done" for the poor and minority, methinks the republicans ARE trying to get those.

Nope, didn't say that at all. Those are your words not mine. 

From voter fraud to fake news to everyone Trump hires is worthless to everyone else should be blamed for this or that. That and more is the tale of the Republican Party today. I have distanced myself from that. Not that I won't vote Republican, I do when they are the best candidate. But Trump is ruining the standards that built this country. Too many follow him blindly. No one would be worrying about voter fraud if Mitt Romney had run and won the election. All a bunch of shadow games and diversion tactics. 

• Like 1

lawnchairboy
21 hours ago, Selden said:

I would not consider the Gateway Pundit a reliable news source:

"Overall, we rate The Gateway Pundit Questionable based on extreme right wing bias, promotion of conspiracies and numerous instances of publishing false (fake) news." 

image.thumb.png.351a407274a0df26707396d55b980b6f.png

But OK with WaPo?  

seems to be some consistency in the two stories.