IGNORED

Hippy Hippy Shake? Getting a new hip.

scout6

Okay gang.  I am getting my right hip replaced in late February.  I have searched and read the forum for more information from riders on downtime (riding).  Those of you who have ridden with me, might remember that I do not like to get off the bike much.  I am hoping this helps.  So, if you have any knowledge you'd like to drop on me (that isn't already posted), please do.  

Susan and I are planning to be at the FART in April, Spring Torrey in May, and the MOA in June. 

Thanks in advance.  Rob

Depends on how they are putting the hip in.  Two approaches, anterior and posterior.  Posterior is the old way, from the backside with quite a long incision and lots of instability in the joint till the muscles heal up.  Lots of hip precautions as well so you don't dislocate your new joint.

Anterior is from the front, and is a much more recent procedure.  I had bilateral hips done about 10 years ago with the anterior procedure.  Incision is about 4-5 inches long and the generally spread the muscles apart to access the joint.  Recovery is about 3-4 weeks as opposed to the posterior which is 6-8 and there are minimal hip precautions that you have to follow. Much less chance of a dislocation as well.   Only thing my surgeon told me was "dont do anything stupid"  or words to that effect.

Listen to what your Dr says, but I would think that with the anterior approach you could be back on the bike maybe by April if you heal up well.  If they are planning on the posterior version, I would think riding would be out till sometime in May or June.  

I did a quick search and found this link: https://bonesmart.org/hip/minimally-invasive-hip-replacement-techniques-and-procedures/

It looks like the procedures have evolved a bit,  they are now doing posterior approaches with smaller incisions which helps in shortening recovery.   But whatever method is used,  don't shortcut your recovery just to get back riding.  You want this hip to last as long as it can.