IGNORED

If I owned a restaurant...

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta

I'd install cell signal blocking technology.

On Christmas Eve evening, we dined at Morton's in downtown Chicago.  Last year we did the same, except last year, one table over, a mother and daughter were celebrating their birthdays and we celebrated with them.

This year, the neighboring tables had two female diners at each.  For almost the entire time we were there, all four of the women stared into their phones in the iPose, talked to each other very little and acknowledged us not all.   Granted they weren't talking into the phones, but they might as well as had their food delivered by GrubHub. 

I miss the ambiance of the old-time pubs and steakhouses where strangers became friends for the evening or the NY delis where many strangers sat at long tables and actually talked each other.

Get off my lawn!

• Like 2
John Ranalletta
44 minutes ago, Rinkydink said:

0DD78043-97F9-4A8F-A055-CA21656BAFC7.jpeg

Stopped at Nordstrom's coffee shop and watched a family of four at the next table.  Mom, dad, sis and bro - all head's down in their phones.  The family that phones together....

• Like 1

Sure, researching info on the painting, that's it.

I'm with John, I hate the phone in restaurants, and almost everywhere.

I think phone booths should be brought back, you want to make a call, you go to the booth.

I don't mind, since my hearing is bad, I have trouble in loud spaces when either my wife and I are out or we're at the same table with friends, hearing the conversations.  If everyone around me are staring at their phones, that's a benefit to me as I can then be part of "our" conversation.

I don't much care to "meet" the table/s next to me.

aggieengineer

I know a person who installed a cell phone signal jammer in his small business just to keep his few employees from wasting the day. A violation of FCC regs, I know, but well-justified in my opinion. 

Using them in a restaurant, or especially a theatre, is indicative of how far social skills have fallen. 

John Ranalletta
11 minutes ago, aggieengineer said:

I know a person who installed a cell phone signal jammer in his small business just to keep his few employees from wasting the day. A violation of FCC regs, I know, but well-justified in my opinion. 

Using them in a restaurant, or especially a theatre, is indicative of how far social skills have fallen. 

Not against the law to make them leave them in their lockers.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, aggieengineer said:

If you need to do that, you might want to take a look at how you design and manage the workflow of your employees. 

Furthermore, if I found out I missed an emergency call from a family member because of an illegal jammer, there'd be a lawsuit the size of the solar system aimed at that business owner.

John Ranalletta
5 minutes ago, Antimatter said:

If you need to do that, you might want to take a look at how you design and manage the workflow of your employees. 

Furthermore, if I found out I missed an emergency call from a family member because of an illegal jammer, there'd be a lawsuit the size of the solar system aimed at that business owner.

How'd we ever survive the pre-cellphone era? "Paging Mr. Smith to the courtesy telephone..."

• Like 1

This happened a bunch of years ago, but fits your topic.  My wife had recently taken a job in another city about 2 hours away to get her career change rolling.  We had tickets for a wine tasting that were going to go to waste and my wife suggested sell them or take a friend. In a work conversation a coworker friend to us both said she was interested in going with me but not in both tickets as the event was too far out of the city.  My wife gave the thumbs up to take her. She was recently single again and back in the dating scene.  So I picked up the coworker friend at a fun night spot part of town and I drove to the wine tasting. After the wine tasting and returning to the city we decided to catch some music at a pub right where her car was parked.  I having been married for almost 20 something years at that point and happily way out of the dating/clubbing scene had an eye opener how things had changed.  It was the front end of the smart phone era and I mused how things had changed and my coworker laughed and asked what I was referring to. I noted that the young 20 something couple across from us had their noses in their phones ever since we sat down.  We surmised that the music was loud enough and could be texting rather than speaking to each other.  I said that is so sad.  She wanted to understand my response and I told her that the guy was missing out on the opportunity to use the loud room to be able sit closer to her, maybe whisper in her ear in a non threatening way.  Those phones had killed of one of the single person's ways to nurture intimacy.   We parted ways after the band's set ended and I felt glad to not have had to compete with a phone to try to connect in a more human way with a woman I was interested in.   Haha, on the other hand, I also missed out on getting the random sexy pic from a woman wanting my attention and as an early 20 something I sure would have of rolled with that!

I have owned/partnered in 3.  If I could fix one thing it would be familys that leave the table and floor looking like a war zone.  I sold out many years ago and did well...but if people live at home like they leave a restaurant...………..  I know this was about cell but thought I would share that.

My wife and I look around every time we are in a restaurant.  My unofficial observation is 75% or more of all cell phone owners look at their phone at least once during dinner.  We often see tables of 4-6 where all are on their phones at the same time.  

8 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

Not against the law to make them leave them in their lockers.

Since most of the rooms I work in you cannot have a cell phone anyway (or any transmit/receive device), I just leave it on the bike all day.......even my work email signature states to not call my cell phone during working hours.

Joe Frickin' Friday
19 hours ago, Antimatter said:

As John noted, an employer can set the rules for what the employee can and cannot do while on the clock, including forbidding the use of cell phones.  If there's an actual emergency and the employee needs to be reached by family, they can call the employer's landline, just the same way it's been done for decades.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Many businesses install televisions, which have an ability to shut down conversations that's exceeded only by cell phones. Even when they don't shut down conversations, their incessant noise is intensely irritating to those who would rather have some peace and quiet.  

Some years ago a guy developed and began selling TV-B-Gone, a remote control which, with a single press of the button, would spray the "off" code for dozens of different brands of television, turning off pretty much every TV within its line of sight.  I never bought one, but I could see where it might be a nice thing to have if (for example) you're the only person in a waiting room and the TV is spewing the Home Shopping Network with the volume turned up to 11.

John Ranalletta
55 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Home Shopping Network with the volume turned up to 11.

My dentist and barber have TV spewing morning pap or afternoon soaps.  I have no qualms about turning down the volume without asking; and, will yell, "Turn off your phone" in theaters to embarrass people who read their texts during movies.

I think the larger issue is lots of folk can't stand silence and periods where they have no distractions.  Perhaps, it's a function of age, but I am more and more offended by noise, whether it's the guy in the next apartment slamming his door a couple of times a day, the neighbor's dog constantly barking or loud cars.  It's an intrusion.

6 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

am more and more offended by noise, whether it's the guy in the next apartment slamming his door a couple of times a day

Ooh...the monster in the dark fear of apartment living...an arsehole neighbor! :eek: 

John Ranalletta
10 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Ooh...the monster in the dark fear of apartment living...an arsehole neighbor! :eek: 

Unavoidable part of the picture as we hover, deciding the next move.  God forbid BUYING a condo with a loud neighbor!  Once my dream was a house in the middle of 50 acres, but who wants all the work that goes along with that.  That (buying implements, cutting acres of grass, etc.) is just another form of distraction.

• Like 1

John, grass is quiet. :grin: We have a bunch of new apartments in town (traffic now sux btw) and a few weeks ago we had a call to one of them for an unknown medical. As we were walking in, this distraught tired looking young lady said, 304, right? She was correct.  Appears she had the good fortune of pinning the tail on the arsehole neighbor. :grin:

Edited by TEWKS
Better description

Loud TVs in public places are a pain in the ass. I go into different clinics and waiting rooms all the time for work, and almost always the TV is blaring some crap. The Price is Right seems to be on most of the time, blasting bells, music, cheering crowds, buzzers, it's obnoxious. I often just go over and turn it down. If I'm actually sitting there for an appointment, it always gets turned down.

Then, some kid will start watching videos, loudly, on a phone or iPad, and that just boils my blood. I stare daggers at mom, but it usually does no good. I'm not dink enough to turn mine on to some offensive content, but I'm sure tempted.

Get off my lawn!

23 hours ago, Antimatter said:

What if the place just had lousy cell service and you missed your call? 

At the very minimum, a sign at the entrance asking patrons to curtail their phone use. I'm sorry, you will have to talk to the people at your table. The horror!

Enjoying the outdoors in Colorado after a day of riding

Not a lot different in sitting in a restaurant staring at a cellphone :facepalm:   :classic_laugh:

057-X2.jpg

• Like 2
John Ranalletta
1 minute ago, big-t said:

Enjoying the outdoors in Colorado after a day of riding

Not a lot different in sitting in a restaurant staring at a cellphone :facepalm:   :classic_laugh:

057-X2.jpg

Checking bank balances to see if they can afford the diesel to get home...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My 20 Y/O came in this morning with his phone that apparently crapped out overnight. The look off utter despair on his face was unbelievable. :facepalm: In a way I guess I failed the boy, problem solving is not his strong suit.

31 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

My 20 Y/O came in this morning with his phone that apparently crapped out overnight. The look off utter despair on his face was unbelievable. :facepalm: In a way I guess I failed the boy, problem solving is not his strong suit.

When my 10 year old grandson gets in trouble I don’t take the iPad he’s addicted to away from him.

I take the charger and watch him sweat the receding battery percentage. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

Unavoidable part of the picture as we hover, deciding the next move.  God forbid BUYING a condo with a loud neighbor!  Once my dream was a house in the middle of 50 acres, but who wants all the work that goes along with that.  That (buying implements, cutting acres of grass, etc.) is just another form of distraction.

We do, while we don't have 50 acres, we do have seven and looking to get the three next to us (as a buffer).  We do have to pastures that we lease out for horses(they approached us).  As for cutting the grass, that's my time.  Three hours+ of riding the John Deere 318 with the headphones jamming tunes,.....I'm in heaven!!  Home/land maintenance, it's therapeutic.....it's the big thing the ole lady and I have in common and what we spend the most of our time together doing.....when we finish this little closet add-on, I look forward to whatever else we come up with to do.

58 minutes ago, Rinkydink said:

When my 10 year old grandson gets in trouble I don’t take the iPad he’s addicted to away from him.

I take the charger and watch him sweat the receding battery percentage. 

Our nine year old grandson gets one hour a day on our internet, after that, he's cut off.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Living the Dream said:

Our nine year old grandson gets one hour a day on our internet, after that, he's cut off.

That’s grandparents for you - always spoiling the grand kids. Our son (currently 11) gets 30 minutes a day on his iPad (up to him if he uses it for internet, or just games or whatever) if he remembers to ask for it and if we say yes. He does get that extended when he has a school assignment or project to work on, but that’s rare. 

It’s been the same time limit for the last few years - I keep waiting for him to ask for a “raise” ...

• Like 2

Now back when most of us were kids, mom & pop said "get outside and be back by dinner time" right? We climbed trees, had rock & stick fights, caught a skunk (true) rode bikes for hours on end. Now, was the "get outside" the same as "go play with your iPad"? In other words, get out of my hair! :grin:

This question goes back to my earlier post and problem solving. How can rocks & sticks teach a kid to problem solve better than a computer that could navigate you to the moon and back?

1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

Now back when most of us were kids, mom & pop said "get outside and be back by dinner time" right? We climbed trees, had rock & stick fights, caught a skunk (true) rode bikes for hours on end. Now, was the "get outside" the same as "go play with your iPad"? In other words, get out of my hair! :grin:

This question goes back to my earlier post and problem solving. How can rocks & sticks teach a kid to problem solve better than a computer that could navigate you to the moon and back?

As too many kids play on computers/pads, those "mechanical" skills are fading.  How many kids go outside and build a "fort" or "push cart" out of junk laying around?  One can argue that with a physicist dad's help, a kid can 3D print a Lamborghini, but, can that same kid, "without the help of youtube or any instructions", change an alternator, pull an A/C compressor, change brake shoes, change a valve cover gasket at 14 with minimal tools (by minimal, it's the cheap issued socket set, pliers, adjustable wrench).  Can that same computer kid look at a mechanical problem and see "how" to solve it?

I think the go outside and play thing "did" force us to problem solve our "real world" issues as some of us did not have that father figure to teach us these things, so we had to learn on our own.

image.png.2efe06d771bbe88ad082f50da694041f.png

Agree 100% that hands on (anything) is the best way to learn and figure out things. I take pride in fixing something with nothing, or almost nothing. :thumbsup:

John Ranalletta
32 minutes ago, Living the Dream said:

As too many kids play on computers/pads, those "mechanical" skills are fading.  How many kids go outside and build a "fort" or "push cart" out of junk laying around?  One can argue that with a physicist dad's help, a kid can 3D print a Lamborghini, but, can that same kid, "without the help of youtube or any instructions", change an alternator, pull an A/C compressor, change brake shoes, change a valve cover gasket at 14 with minimal tools (by minimal, it's the cheap issued socket set, pliers, adjustable wrench).  Can that same computer kid look at a mechanical problem and see "how" to solve it?

I think the go outside and play thing "did" force us to problem solve our "real world" issues as some of us did not have that father figure to teach us these things, so we had to learn on our own.

image.png.2efe06d771bbe88ad082f50da694041f.png

When we visited my grand kids, I brought a little 2-cyl engine kit to motorize an old bicycle.  Joe's pretty handy - he was building a miniature skate park out of card board - so he and his dad should have some fun with that.

image.thumb.png.837d19cb61523c492cb052e67a7bd30e.png

• Like 2
aggieengineer
On 1/2/2020 at 7:48 AM, John Ranalletta said:

Just think though, anything that disturbed the pleasure of your day would be "in range". Back in the '80s during our military days, my wife and I had a house in a Southern California neighborhood. Nice place, but we could hear the neighbors argue in their own house. We were happy to move home to Texas and get some distance between us and the rest of the world. I bought some noise-cancelling headphones and positively enjoy spending a couple of hours on the tractor while listening to Beethoven. 

John Ranalletta
49 minutes ago, aggieengineer said:

Just think though, anything that disturbed the pleasure of your day would be "in range". Back in the '80s during our military days, my wife and I had a house in a Southern California neighborhood. Nice place, but we could hear the neighbors argue in their own house. We were happy to move home to Texas and get some distance between us and the rest of the world. I bought some noise-cancelling headphones and positively enjoy spending a couple of hours on the tractor while listening to Beethoven. 

Here's the thing: It's all very personal.  At my age, taking on a "homestead" has its appeal, but I don't want the maintenance and the upkeep.  It means little to me to stand on the front porch of my estate as king.  I'm in the fourth quarter of this game with a desire to travel, engage with others and the world on my terms, an enjoy quiet when I want it.  

What I really want is a taser and license to shock people who are making noise, whether it's the person in the hotel room above who walks like bigfoot; the neighbor whose dogs constantly barks, the idiot with the boombox car stereo who thinks everybody enjoys 115 dbl hip hop, et al.; the family at a restaurant last evening who hooted and yelled, disturbing the other patrons whenever their stupid NFL team made some play or other.  Some people just deserve a good slap.  Thankfully, they stopped when the pub turned off the TV volume in favor of a live guitar player/singer - who played much too loudly for comfortable conversation with friends.  

We just sold our house (see "The Great Dispersion" thread).  Downsizing was the driving factor but close behind was noise emanating from adjacent properties that had no prospect of abatement.

• Like 1

Ok, I found the perfect homestead. Small~quiet neighbors~minimal yard maintenance~fishing~a relaxing evening paddle. :thumbsup: And to keep this on topic, all cell phones go in the lake! :grin:

Dhl4KG_WAAEUvwZ.jpg:large

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

Ok, I found the perfect homestead. Small~quiet neighbors~minimal yard maintenance~fishing~a relaxing evening paddle. :thumbsup: And to keep this on topic, all cell phones go in the lake! :grin:

Until the jet skis appear 😳

6 hours ago, TEWKS said:

the perfect homestead:grin:

This is my homestead (it really is a homestead: 20 acres acquired from the state of Alaska 30 years ago.)  I built the cabin, and it's fun to think that I carried it (most of the materials) up the big hill on my shoulders.  

It's amazingly quiet, and no light pollution.  A winter night with a full moon is magical.  It's ~1.5 hours by boat or snowmobile from the nearest road.

HS_after.jpg

IMG_2096.JPG

IMG_3294.JPG

• Like 2

At 70 we enjoy our 2.5 acre heavily treed and fenced homestead and when the urge to explore hits (coincides with grandkids don’t need us) we saddle up our latest steed and travel, and use solar plus generator to boondock at remote locations....pretty rare that we’re interested in crowding into a noisy restaurant....A31DD0AC-1CFC-43AA-8E93-BA371D7088A5.thumb.jpeg.d0423ef45ae9e8221a5eae746d31c4a1.jpeg

1 hour ago, Ken S said:

This is my homestead (it really is a homestead: 20 acres acquired from the state of Alaska 30 years ago.)  I built the cabin, and it's fun to think that I carried it (most of the materials) up the big hill on my shoulders.  

It's amazingly quiet, and no light pollution.  A winter night with a full moon is magical.  It's ~1.5 hours by boat or snowmobile from the nearest road.

HS_after.jpg

IMG_2096.JPG

IMG_3294.JPG

...and now I’m really regretting having not taken you up on the offers to visit!

21 hours ago, TEWKS said:

With climate change, your front yard will soon be underwater.

I would like a restaurant w/o any music.

I know I'm an old phart, but having to yell to be heard because the music is so loud is a PITA.

• Like 3
John Ranalletta
47 minutes ago, Bud said:

With climate change, your front yard will soon be underwater.

A friend and climate-change zealot suggests the Midwest will be overrun shortly with climate change refugees from coastal areas.  I'm buying land right now and waiting for the influx.:18:

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/28/783349974/this-florida-keys-neighborhood-has-been-flooded-for-nearly-3-months

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Bud said:

I would like a restaurant w/o any music.

I know I'm an old phart, but having to yell to be heard because the music is so loud is a PITA.

So, if you made a trip to visit Neuschwanstein Castle, you may take a tour bus and get dropped off right at this nifty little restaurant:

image.png.93f59285ee82eb81512a2f44842c40c9.png

You can hear the music from the street and there's nothing like Scandinavian Death Metal at 11.  As we walked in, we did happen to notice that many of the "gray hairs" were getting their food orders quickly and departing quickly.  The wife's comment to me was " this is your kinda place",.....ah,yup.  No need for conversation, just enjoy the thrashing!!,.......it's not a conversationalist kinda place.

• Like 1
aggieengineer

Which brings up another question.....why do so many upscale restaurants find the need to play nonstop Frank Sinatra music? Ugh!

1 hour ago, aggieengineer said:

Which brings up another question.....why do so many upscale restaurants find the need to play nonstop Frank Sinatra music? Ugh!

So, the little restaurant that I posted above, after I have my 'kraut, I go to relieve myself.  There's a little window to the parking lot and I notice a beautiful Ferrari sitting outside.  Well, I'm in Europe, maybe more prevalent.   Several hours later, after the trek up to the castle and back, I'm back in the restroom, the Ferrari is still there.  I query the tour guide as he knows the owner.  The response was, "He sold his Jaguar and Porsche to get the Ferrari,.....I guess selling sausages is a good business",.......it's all about the location.

37 minutes ago, Living the Dream said:

I query the tour guide as he knows the owner.  

Bike tour guide? :lurk: That should come along with some pretty cool pics, I would think. :grin: My in laws were told and thought for the rest of their living days, we went on a bus tour of Europe. Nope! :revit: :grin: