IGNORED

The Apple Credit Card

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta

Was attracted to this card because Apple and Goldman Sachs say users' purchasing data is never sold to merchants; and, the cash-back is comparable to my current Chase card.  So, I applied on the Wallet app on my iPhone for a card (the only way to get one AFAIK).  Easy-peazy!

The card arrived in a in a package, in a presentation box inside of another container.  The card appears to be pure metal - thick and heavy.  After receiving the card, I called the 800# to order a second card for my SO and was told if she wanted an Apple card she must apply on her iPhone.  I ask if she did so, would that card share the same account as mine and the answer was "NO!".  I asked how many statements I'd receive and the answer was "2".  At that point, I asked the rep to cancel the card; used my band saw to cut it to pieces and ended my short experience with that card.

I'm not sure what Apple's rationale might be.  Many families want to share a cc account - an impossibility with the Apple card.

Recently, Apple was accused of discriminating against females who apply for the card re: credit limit.  In the instance that generated the claim, the female member of a two-person household was given a much lower credit limit when she applied than was given to the male. They were both employed and share credit history, income, etc., thus, no apparent reason for the discrepancy, except....

I believe credit granting entities calculate "household" credit limits.  I wonder if GS pulled a credit check on the female which reflected the male's credit limit and they doled out a credit limit lower than the male's to keep the total household credit within some limit.

Anyway, YMMV

it's funny to me that they make the card itself of premium quality, because their goal is clearly to have you not use the physical card unless no other option exists.

As for the new heavy metal cards, all the young military folks (Army and Air Force) I see at work seem to have the Amex version of that - feels like it could make a good weapon...