IGNORED

"Cars" thread issue

realshelby

Could just be on my end? When I open the Cars forum the globe thingy at the top never stops spinning. And you cannot get back out of the thread without clicking on the home page or going to another site. Every other thing here works fine. When I click and hold the "back" button to look at history it is a continuous list of that page that you cannot get to the end of. Does this on both computers I typically use.

2 hours ago, realshelby said:

Could just be on my end?

No, I  think your end is ok 

Lots of content on the web is "linked" in from other servers.  I have noticed that particularly in the cars forum, there is a "waiting for api.smugmug.com" message  which is pointing to what is causing the behavior you are seeing.  This indicates the browser is waiting for information from smugmug on what data it should use from smugmug to display the page.  And apparently smugmug is slow in delivering which causes the page not not completely load until smugmug responds.  

A lot of this type of processing goes on in the background so even though it may appear the page has loaded it it still processing data.  This can be particularly noticeable on topics that contain a lot of external links and have a lot of posts.  A slow internet connection or slow computer may also contribute, but the main cause is waiting for linked systems to respond.

You can see the items the browser is processing to load the page in the lower left of the browser window (at least in Chrome and Firefox on Win10)

Unfortunately there is nothing on this end which can fix that ... short of finding which pictures are from smugmug and find an alternative host .

As for navigation, the first, last and individual page links seem to work around the problem.

My concern was a virus. I understand your explanation of the page taking time to load even though it appears to be loaded. The history going on endlessly and not being able to back out of the thread normally looked suspicious to me.

Thanks for you help!

Assume a similar thing is going on when too many YouTube vids are loaded into a single post such as Whip's music vids? Every device I have, phone, ipad and PC freezes up.

2 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Assume a similar thing is going on when too many YouTube vids are loaded into a single post such as Whip's music vids? Every device I have, phone, ipad and PC freezes up.

Yes, that is similar .... but in this case, network speed and PC memory and speed are a greater factor.  I say that because on my setup (ultra fast internet and a fairly recent IMac) its slow to load but it doesn't freeze ... and yet I can reproduce the smugmug situation every time ... 

However, I have noticed that FireFox loads the videos faster than Chrome or Safari.   However there is no difference in Cars .... which again points to local rather than external causes for the videos 

I assume you're going directly to the last unread post rather than just accessing the forum and trying to scroll down?

8 minutes ago, chrisolson said:

I assume you're going directly to the last unread post rather than just accessing the forum and trying to scroll down?

Yes, that's what I'm doing. Seems to be four and above videos, before it gets bogged down. I'm probably not being patient enough before reaching for the ejection handle. Kind of like "what do you mean a whole two minutes to microwave a bowl of soup" ? :grin: