IGNORED

Abs fault revisited

joeb

Hi all. 2003 r1150rt.  116k.  Back in Oct, Nov, I posted about an abs fast flashing fault warning. The consensus at that time was either low volt or low fluid. I've just been getting back to the bike and did a voltage check on battery with bike switched off,

11.8 - 12 volts. With bike running 13 .4 +/-.

I rode the bike and immediately the flashing lights stopped as normal. After 5 miles they came on. Kind of a pattern. If it was low fluid wouldn't they always stay on , why would the fluid show normal then get low ? I see no indication of leakage. 

Would the battery levels I'm showing be low enough to trigger warnings . Battery is at least 6 years old with original generator. I've looked at another thread where another member is discussing similar issues but the focus there has been on sensor gaps and resistance.  Haven't really considered that in my case ......yet.

Any ideas ?? Thanks much as always.

37 minutes ago, joeb said:

Hi all. 2003 r1150rt.  116k.  Back in Oct, Nov, I posted about an abs fast flashing fault warning. The consensus at that time was either low volt or low fluid. I've just been getting back to the bike and did a voltage check on battery with bike switched off,

11.8 - 12 volts. With bike running 13 .4 +/-.

I rode the bike and immediately the flashing lights stopped as normal. After 5 miles they came on. Kind of a pattern. If it was low fluid wouldn't they always stay on , why would the fluid show normal then get low ? I see no indication of leakage. 

Would the battery levels I'm showing be low enough to trigger warnings . Battery is at least 6 years old with original generator. I've looked at another thread where another member is discussing similar issues but the focus there has been on sensor gaps and resistance.  Haven't really considered that in my case ......yet.

Any ideas ?? Thanks much as always.

Afternoon Joeb

Your 1150 (I-ABS) system is much different than the older 1100 ABS-2 systems so your (I-ABS) brake system is pretty immune to low system voltage conditions (especially with the engine running & alternator charging).

With the voltages that you are showing  I would put a low voltage problem way/way/way down the list of possibilities. 

As far as riding for a ways THEN the system defaulting, that could easily be a low module reservoir level (those can act up after riding for a while).

Unless you get a brake failure code read out (dealer computer or GS-911) then it is basically a guessing game & top guess is a low module reservoir with next guess being a wheel  speed sensor acting up.

Thanks, so do you think just filling the module under the tank would be the next step, or go to a dealer for an error code display ? Not familiar with the wonders of a GS-911, Would that definitively diagnose the issue ?

It's been a while since I've bleed the brakes. As  I remember once I get to the module I think I can remove the caps and check level or add without getting air in the system. Is that correct ?

3 hours ago, joeb said:

Thanks, so do you think just filling the module under the tank would be the next step, or go to a dealer for an error code display ? Not familiar with the wonders of a GS-911, Would that definitively diagnose the issue ?

It's been a while since I've bleed the brakes. As  I remember once I get to the module I think I can remove the caps and check level or add without getting air in the system. Is that correct ?

Evening Joeb 

A brake system bleed with a full fill of the under fuel tank reservoirs would be a good (something you can do) starting point. 

Otherwise you can try to check the wheel speed sensors but without a failure code or codes it is difficult to pin the problem down.

A GS-911 could definitely be a help in finding the problem BUT even a GS-911 can't always "definitively" diagnose the issue. 

Other than the typical failures like low reservoirs, or intermittent wheel speed sensors, then the other outliers are much more difficult to find without a failure code or codes.

The 1150 (I-ABS) systems  are also noted for internal pressure sensor failures & that is something that you can't repair yourself. (A GS-911 usually shows this failure though).