IGNORED

2012 RT only starts In neutral.

TEDZ

With the clutch lever pulled in, the starter won’t kick in unless the bike is in neutral.  The neutral light and the gear indicator function.  The side stand is up when trying to start it. Bought it out of state, so didn’t get a test ride.  I’m thinking a bad clutch lever switch.  Any other ideas?

11 hours ago, TEDZ said:

With the clutch lever pulled in, the starter won’t kick in unless the bike is in neutral.  The neutral light and the gear indicator function.  The side stand is up when trying to start it. Bought it out of state, so didn’t get a test ride.  I’m thinking a bad clutch lever switch.  Any other ideas?

Morning TEDZ

If the engine doesn't stall when you put the transmission  in gear  then it does point to the clutch switch circuit. Usually the clutch switch itself but not conclusive as it could be an open in the wiring or connector going to the clutch switch. 

Was your motorcycle shipped or trailered to you? If so was the motorcycle (incorrectly) restrained  with tie-down  straps to the handlebar area?  If so then possibly a strap damaged the wiring in the clutch switch area.

Makes sure that the switch connector is fully plugged into the switch, if still a no start then sometimes lightly (very little) bending the reed on the clutch switch to allow it to depress the little button in farther can  get them functioning again. 

It was on the top deck of the truck, so I didn’t see how it was strapped down.  I turned the small clutch lever adjustment knob out a turn, pumped the lever about six times, and it’s working now.  If it gets bad again, I’ll try adjusting the switch.  Thanks for the info.  Now to sell my 2008 RT.