IGNORED

Gentlemen, Start Your Injuns!

TEWKS

I got the chance to check out the new Challenger today in person. Very nice cruiser style motorcycle if you’re into such things. A test ride in the spring just for the heck of it! :java:

BF752BF1-CB7F-4AFD-972F-257AC271F6B0.jpeg

2F62C191-DF44-4775-B193-68917E313418.jpeg

1FEB3FAA-FE4D-4FA7-AF23-8E471DB78E9B.jpeg

• Like 1

I have been very impressed with the quality of fit and finish on the Indians for the past two years.  They are pushing it hard and it shows.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TEWKS said:

I got the chance to check out the new Challenger today in person. Very nice cruiser style motorcycle if you’re into such things. A test ride in the spring just for the heck of it! :java:

BF752BF1-CB7F-4AFD-972F-257AC271F6B0.jpeg

Now that's the first cruiser that I actually kinda like, I don't see myself ever getting one, but, that's a good look!!

In person, they look even better. :cool: I enjoy the ride and style of a cruise-tour motorcycle, doubt one will end up at home though. But a test ride! :revit: :thumbsup:

About a month ago, the local Indian dealer had a demo day on probably the coldest day so far this fall. Somewhere in the low 30's by the time I showed up after work.  But I figured what the heck, lets go ride one.  I ended up on a Scout bobber.  Not a bad little bike, not really little, probably about a 1000cc.  Very low seat which was fine,  but I couldnt really hack those forward cruiser pegs and controls.  Loved the smoothness of the engine and the tranny but it was Loud.  I thought the stock pipe would be a but more subtle, but no.  Glad I brought plugs.

The new Challenger was not in the showrooms yet.  I've looked at the larger Indian Chiefs and I just dont get the vintage style with the leather and tassels.  The fit and finish of all their bikes is pretty nice.  No problem there.   If they can come out with some other models with mids and upright seating, I'd give em a look.

I read somewhere that they may try to spank Harley's attempt at the Adventure Bike market. Not even a drawing yet AFAIK but, with Polaris' ATV background, they may have some ideas floating around.

10 hours ago, TEWKS said:

I read somewhere that they may try to spank Harley's attempt at the Adventure Bike market. Not even a drawing yet AFAIK but, with Polaris' ATV background, they may have some ideas floating around.

They may already have.  While I didnt ride it, I did sit on the FTR 1200.  I didn't ask for that one due to the 33 inch seat height vs my 29" inseam.  Don't want to drop a bike on a demo days ride.  Fairly upright ergos,  120 something HP.  

Indian_FTR_1200-2.jpg?w=1045&dpr=1.25&au

• Like 1

I am not a Harley Hater. Or lover. But I do like the looks of them when left stock and I imagine I would enjoy riding one. Just don't need one. 

That said, the Indian is a LOT better looking bike to me. And if specs mean anything it is a much better performing bike all around ( like electric windshield ) than the H-D competition. I know H-D followers are loyal, but this looks hard to beat. 

• Like 1

It seems like a nice cross between the Scout (frame and engine tech, some styling) and Chief (touring accommodations), with a fixed fairing that takes aim straight at H-D's Road Glide.  Those who like this sort of thing will find that this is the sort of thing that they like.

• Like 1

And now a couple of guys that actually get paid to talk about bikes. The Road Glide vs the Challenger, and the winner is.......:whistle: See, I could do that job! :classic_biggrin: No, they actually picked a winner. And if this style of bike doesn't float your boat, cheer up the scenery is beautiful! :thumbsup:

I did not ride it, sat on one. I find the plastic panels on fairing side to be appalling. Sitting on it they integrate nicely looking forward but what other people see from the side and front is what makes it a travesty.  What a horrid design if it is that at all. Compared to the Road Glide it looks like amateurs designed the fairing, started testing and had an oh shit not enough wind protection but too far along to remake the mold, quick get some black painted extensions now! The plastic boot on the rear bags is obnoxiously oversized but fortunately the whole bag is painted so you can just peel it off and put some PPF down there instead. Top it off somehow they made a water cooled bike as heavy as the air cooled models.  The to top it off, their controls feel cheap and if you buy a Dark Horse version they make you buy the crash bars separately.

tl;dr disappointing, too heavy, too pricey, and too much black plastic.

edit: over on Indian related forums there seems to be an issue with the ignition or such, Polaris has had more than one bike shipped back even after sending engineers to a dealer. So something is fishy. Suspicion by some is that rear cylinder decactivation is knocking the front down too but some are not so sure

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Wow, all that engineering on a very nice motorcycle and a simple throttle body sync slips through planting doubt where there shouldn’t be.

I may be a little guilty here on this. :facepalm:

For what it costs, IDK. It's over 28k, probably 29-30 when said and done. What can I buy for that? A K1600, gold wing. Both better bikes. A RT and save money and still a better bike. Yes, it's better than a HD, but it's still expensive, overweight and lacks proper storage. 

• Like 1