IGNORED

System Case Lids for R1150RT

jfremder

Paul Mihalka

R11xx system cases can have three lid sizes: standard mid-size, city lids which are flat and XL lids that give the bike a fat butt but hold a lot. They are all interchangable.

As described the variation in the three different lids is the depth of the lids and all three fit on the same base sections.

If you are interested in having more than one set of lids (eg a city set for regular commute and a touring set for trips) there is also a modification kit available which replaces the standard rivet or screw hinges with a quick change style. Makes swapping the lids a 10 second job.

• 2 weeks later...
As described the variation in the three different lids is the depth of the lids and all three fit on the same base sections.

If you are interested in having more than one set of lids (eg a city set for regular commute and a touring set for trips) there is also a modification kit available which replaces the standard rivet or screw hinges with a quick change style. Makes swapping the lids a 10 second job.

Is that an OEM modification kit, or after-market? Have you got a source?

Thanks!

R11xx system cases can have three lid sizes: standard mid-size, city lids which are flat and XL lids that give the bike a fat butt but hold a lot. They are all interchangable.

My RTP came with city lids, which of course, hold almost nothing other than a ticket book. grin.gif

I'm considering picking up additional lids for touring, and using the city cases most of the time. How much larger are the XL cases over the standard mid-size cases? Do the "fat butt" of the XL cases cause any stability problems at freeway speeds? Do most find the standard cases adequate for holding a couple of days of traveling gear?

I'm thinking that the XL case lids would work whenever I needed to carry more than the city cases will handle, but it's hard to find them used.

One last question: Are the system cases identical for all the BMW bikes, i.e. R & K bikes, R/RS/RT/GT? (I know the GS cases are a lot different.)

Paul Mihalka

Some answers: you can get the quick lid change kit from www.cyclegadgets.com. It's not cheap. I do mine with nuts and bolts. It takes me 5 minutes. I usually do it once a year when I go on my 2 week summer trip.

Lid sizes: I would not lane-split with the XL.

R11xxRS and RT take the same bags. R11xxR and GS use a different left bag. K bags are again different. The lids are all the same, just the inner half changes.

Is that an OEM modification kit, or after-market? Have you got a source?

Thanks!

Sorry for late reply Scott but I see Paul has provided the link.

Archived