IGNORED

So, this is what happens when you hire smart people and they turn against you?

John Ranalletta

2 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

just think what a large group of pissed off Google employees can do given their control of data

But they can only do so with access to systems and code .... and big brother Google is watching .  " ... Within three hours of the code going live, Spiers said, she’d been put on administrative leave".  Unless they're a grade 10 hacker , they're pretty much done manipulating stuff.

On the other hand, another mass walkout might cause some issues and certainly be unsettling .

Its an interesting case ... "union busting" or a did she truly go outside the scope of her job to further a political cause ?  Although possibly the former, it would seem that there is enough corporate wiggle room to make a case for the latter.

John Ranalletta
37 minutes ago, chrisolson said:

But they can only do so with access to systems and code .... and big brother Google is watching .  " ... Within three hours of the code going live, Spiers said, she’d been put on administrative leave".  Unless they're a grade 10 hacker , they're pretty much done manipulating stuff.

On the other hand, another mass walkout might cause some issues and certainly be unsettling .

Its an interesting case ... "union busting" or a did she truly go outside the scope of her job to further a political cause ?  Although possibly the former, it would seem that there is enough corporate wiggle room to make a case for the latter.

This is going to be interesting. Google reportedly hires legal firm with "union-busting"  rep. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/20/technology/Google-union-consultant.html

As this develops, it remains to be seen if Google begins to pull back perks.  If not, they make up the platform or starting point from which negotiations begin. OTOH, pulling them back in anticipation of an organizing attempt is usually ruled an unfair labor practice.

The approach with Spiers, whether warranted or not, is textbook, i.e. make an example of rabble rousers early to scare the majority who can't afford to lose their jobs or benefits.  We'll see if this gets to signature cards.

5 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

The approach with Spiers, whether warranted or not, is textbook, i.e. make an example of rabble rousers early to scare the majority who can't afford to lose their jobs or benefits. 

Yep !

John Ranalletta
10 hours ago, Bill_Walker said:

That's exactly when things started going in the tank.

“Don’t be evil” was bullshit from the start.  G’s Eric Schmidt was once asked about search users’ privacy, he as much as said users were stupid to expect it. 

John Ranalletta

Boom!  The noose tightens.

The federal labor board ruled this week that employers can block workers from using email to organize, in a decision that companies, including Google, have asked for.

The National Labor Relations Board said in the 3–1 decision that “employees have no statutory right to use employer equipment, including IT resources,” for union activity, giving management leeway to ban organizing on their work email systems. The decision undoes a previous ruling from the board decided under the Obama administration, which gave workers more latitude to use their work email for legally protected labor activity.

John Ranalletta
6 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

Boom!  The noose tightens.

The federal labor board ruled this week that employers can block workers from using email to organize, in a decision that companies, including Google, have asked for.

The National Labor Relations Board said in the 3–1 decision that “employees have no statutory right to use employer equipment, including IT resources,” for union activity, giving management leeway to ban organizing on their work email systems. The decision undoes a previous ruling from the board decided under the Obama administration, which gave workers more latitude to use their work email for legally protected labor activity.

How would management know unless they're reading intercompany mail...

Building a culture of trust!

14 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

How would management know unless they're reading intercompany mail...

Building a culture of trust!

I've always assumed the company  reads emails, especially with an employee that is not as productive as he should be, or the company is looking to get rid of. That's why I don't conduct personal business on company email system.

Even using the company computer to access your own personal emails on another system might be subject to monitoring.

Phone calls are a different thing, they cannot be monitored, except for the call log, unless the employee is notified that calls may be recorded.

As far as conducting union business on company email, or company time for that matter, were it my company I would have issues with it. Especially if trying to organize, rather than already having the union in place.

And I'm a union man.