IGNORED

BMW System V helmet

Green RT

I am planning to pick up a BMW System V helmet next week on a trip to Germany. (Actually, my daughter is planning on giving me one for a birthday present). Any comments on it? Are they as quiet as they claim (86 dB)? I don't know how that compares to my current Schuberth Concept. I am aware that the BMW helmets are not DOT certified and some dealers won't even sell them to you if they think you are bringing them across the pond. But I checked with my insurance agent and he says that since helmets are not required in Colorado, they don't even mention them. Any thing else I should be think about?

Thanks,

Schuberth claim 86.5 db for the C2 on their web site. http://www.schuberth.com/c2/index3.htm. I have one and am very pleased with it, although I find wind noise a little intrusive.

The Schuberth has the advantage over the System 5 of having the sun visor, but I was told by a BMW dealer that the reason BMW don't have that is to avoid additional noise introduced via the cavity that it retracts into.

As has already been mentioned, one of the UK magazines tested helmets for noise levels alone in the last month or two and found the Schuberth S1 the quietest, but the System 5 as I recall came next.

Okay, the first thing you need to think about is that there have been serious problems with the electronics frying in the rain. I have had to have mine replaced and last week, when I took my wife's to the dealer for the same thing, there were two other helmets waiting to be fixed. I also understand that there have been some others in England having the same problem. The helmet itself is great, and when they work, they work very very well. That said, the electronics may let you down and, in Colorado, you will not have the support to get them fixed.

Thanks Greg, Mark and John.

The electronics problem is troubling. My daughter lives in Berlin and I could always ship it to her to take back to the dealer, but that is a pretty long repair chain. I assume you are talking about the optional bluetooth communication system. Or is there some other electronics in the helmet?

The ADAC recently conducted a test of several flip front helmets, and the System V placed 4th overall. The Schuberth C2 placed first.

Be advised that the System V failed the impact absorbing test eek.gif

I have attached a file in Excel format that shows the results of the tests, it's in German, but I think most of it is easy to figure out.

675187-ADACHelmetTest.zip

John Bentall

Be advised that the System V failed the impact absorbing test eek.gif

According to the source document the System 5 got a bad mark for exceeding the EEC limits in one of the measurements relating to impact absorbtion.

Apparently it failed, and its predecessor the System 4 was poor in this respect also.

You can pick the C2 up in Germany for around 315 Euro.

i think BMW's comment about the visor is pure BS. With the visor closed, there is no "extra opening" to generate wind noise.

All BMW helmets are manufactured by Schuberth, if I am not mistaken...

C2 also passed all the EU tests.

What I can't figure out is what the diference is between the EU and US C2's!

You can pick the C2 up in Germany for around 315 Euro.

i think BMW's comment about the visor is pure BS. With the visor closed, there is no "extra opening" to generate wind noise.

All BMW helmets are manufactured by Schuberth, if I am not mistaken...

C2 also passed all the EU tests.

What I can't figure out is what the diference is between the EU and US C2's!

The 'justification' for not having the sun visor in the BMW helmets may be BS as you say, but there must be some reason why BMW don't have them in any of their helmets, when the Schuberth models do have them, since as you say Schuberth make the helmets for BMW.

These people will ship Schuberths to the US & elsewhere from Germany - http://www.moto-plus.de/. I bought my helmet from them at significantly lower price than I could find in the UK and they provided a good service. They list C2s at €349.

I doubt there is any difference between the EU & US C2s.

Thanks Greg, Mark and John.

The electronics problem is troubling. My daughter lives in Berlin and I could always ship it to her to take back to the dealer, but that is a pretty long repair chain. I assume you are talking about the optional bluetooth communication system. Or is there some other electronics in the helmet?

Yes, it is the optional Bluetooth. I am still waiting for my wife's helmet to be fixed. Fortunately (?) the weather has been crappy here for the past few days so we couldn't have gone out anyway.

Bought one in Munich last year at the large dealership near BMW hqs. They would sell cash and carry only. Good helmet, quiet and well made. Wore it for 1/2 hour before purchase but it's not the fit I thought. Probably not for Arai shapped heads.

• 1 year later...
Bought one in Munich last year ............but it's not the fit I thought. Probably not for Arai shapped heads.

Sorry to dredge this forum back to life after 2 years or so but was linked to it from a Google search about helmets and built-in sun visors!

I was struck by the comments about US / European spec helmets - there is a difference, which may account for comments here about fit. Helmets built for the US market assume a different basic head shape to helmets made for Europe; the US head shape is on average slightly longer front to back and slightly narrower, than the European. It's your more, ah, interesting genetic mix over there thumbsup.gif . Helmets made for Oriental and African markets assume a rounder basic head shape again.

So beware of buying a helmet from Europe, if you're in the US; and vice versa. Plus to be legal in the UK (i.e. to retain cover by your insurer for personal injury) a helmet must be badged / marked in ways (e.g. ACU Gold Standard) that a US variant almost certainly wouldn't be.

Bit of a minefield.

I am very pleased with my System V, which I purchased in the UK 2 years ago. It is quiet, well made (usual BMW standard which is normally of higher quality) , and I like the look.

I was wearing an HJC Symax previously. I liked it a lot, would buy another one, but there is no comparison to the higher quality of the BMW product, IMHO.

BMW helmets are now available for purchase from BMW dealers in Canada (just!). Although pricey, near $800C if I recall correctly for the sytem V. I presume they meet all of the required Canadian standards for safety.

Cheers.........Rod

I have one of thiose and also a Schuberth C2. I prefer the latter I noted that earlier threads talked about electrics and I take it that related to the bluetooth. as far as I am aware, both schuberth and bmw withdrew their bluetooth eqipped helmets and the Nolan and Caberg are the flip fronts if you need this piece of kit. can't comment on their use

I am very pleased with my System V, which I purchased in the UK 2 years ago. It is quiet, well made (usual BMW standard which is normally of higher quality) , and I like the look.

I was wearing an HJC Symax previously. I liked it a lot, would buy another one, but there is no comparison to the higher quality of the BMW product, IMHO.

BMW helmets are now available for purchase from BMW dealers in Canada (just!). Although pricey, near $800C if I recall correctly for the sytem V. I presume they meet all of the required Canadian standards for safety.

A friend of mine here in Edmonton just bought a new BMW Moto-X style helmet from the AD. He had to sign an agreement that he would NOT re-sell it to any person in the U.S., subject (IIRC) to a $1000 'penalty' if BMW Canada finds out he reslls it into the U.S.

Weird.

I was wearing an HJC Symax previously. I liked it a lot, would buy another

one, but there is no comparison to the higher quality of the BMW product, IMHO.

A friend of mine here in Edmonton just bought a new BMW Moto-X style helmet from the AD. He had to sign an agreement that he would NOT re-sell it to any person in the U.S., subject (IIRC) to a $1000 'penalty' if BMW Canada finds out he reslls it into the U.S.

Weird.

...........so much for free trade!!

A few years ago BMW system helmets were available in Canada. The Canadian dealers were told expressly not to sell helmets to customers from the US. Apparently BMW does not want its helmets sold in the litigious US market.

BMW cut Canada off from the System helmets when it became aware they were making it to the US. I was surprised to see in the 2008 Canadian accessory catalogue that BMW "risked" selling their helmets in Canada again.

Oh, and by the way, the NAFTA free trade agreement never applied to goods from outside North America. I only relates to goods manufactured in Mexico, Canada and the U.S.

I am also happy with my System V, bought for me by a board member who is in the US Army stationed in Germany. Including shipping and an extra shield it came to $619 USD.

Great fit, great quality (like you would expect since Schuberth makes it), and a great look.

Before I bought this one I was in London and stopped into the BMW dealer on Park Lane. I was ready to buy one on the spot but when the sales guy heard my US accent he asked me where I lived. I truthfully told him I was from the US; he then told me very politely that as a company owned dealer he was not allowed to sell helmets when it was reasonable to assume the lid would get exported to the States..of coruse I didn't know this or I would have given him my former UK address...BUMMER !

Where O where are Schuberth Helmets available from? I've Googled and cannot find even the manufacturer.

Anyone supply a link please?

Linz smile.gif

Christian_rider

Shuberth still designed to fit the round head? I loved mine but the fit was not so good. Too much pressure on the forehead. Any longer than two hours and there were issues.

Archived