IGNORED

ABS won't set on RT

wayneleslie

wayneleslie

I wrecked my 99 R1100RT about 2 weeks ago. It was a low speed slide out on some gravel and the only damage was to the system cases and the right mirror and right side panel.

However, since I've gotten it back together, the ABS lights won't go out when I start up. As part of the repair (while it was apart) I replaced the battery, so I suspect I'm getting enough current to feed the ABS system.

Any clues as to where to look to figure out this problem? The brakes work fine other than the ABS thing, and everything else seems to be working OK.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Check the clearance at the ABS wheel sensors. Also, you may have gotten air into the brake system requiring bleeding. Finally clean the sensors of any debris. This should about do it.

When I low sided on my '99RT a few years ago I tried everything to get the ABS to reset. I even borrowed a known good ABS unit to see if that would do the trick, to no avail. I finally broke down and brought the bike to the dealer. The dealer was able to reset it in 30 seconds with the comment "it must have been down recently".

Joe Frickin' Friday

Click here and go to page 71 to learn how to read the ABS diagnostic codes straight from the ABS module. The diagnostic connector is the flat 3-pin connector with the blue cap on it, sitting behind the fuse box under your seat. If you've got something other than a low battery (which should reset the next time you turn the key on), let us know what you find.

I wrecked my 99 R1100RT about 2 weeks ago. It was a low speed slide out on some gravel and the only damage was to the system cases and the right mirror and right side panel.

However, since I've gotten it back together, the ABS lights won't go out when I start up. As part of the repair (while it was apart) I replaced the battery, so I suspect I'm getting enough current to feed the ABS system.

Any clues as to where to look to figure out this problem? The brakes work fine other than the ABS thing, and everything else seems to be working OK.

Thanks in advance for any help.

My 99 R11S would not reset if I started the bike with high beams on or with the grip heaters on. A guy who writes tech articles for OTL told me that in his experience, some batteries seem to cause more ABS faults than others - he cited the Panasonic AGMs as a problem (I use them despite his warning).

wayneleslie

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I will take them in order and see what I find. Probably won't have a chance to work on the bike till this weekend. I'll let you know what I find.

wayneleslie

Latest update. Got the ABS working again! clap.gif I checked the wheel sensors and found them to be within spec. Also, the battery is new so I knew (or at least hoped) that wasn't the problem. Turned out to be a fault code in the ABS system. It was fault code 7 which is supposed to re-set every time you turn the key on, but for some reason mine wasn't. I'm guessing I got this code due to the wreck. Anyway, I cleared the code and everything is back to normal.

Thanks again to all for the help. This is a great forum with great people.

Uncle Beemer
Latest update. Got the ABS working again! clap.gif I checked the wheel sensors and found them to be within spec. Also, the battery is new so I knew (or at least hoped) that wasn't the problem. Turned out to be a fault code in the ABS system. It was fault code 7 which is supposed to re-set every time you turn the key on, but for some reason mine wasn't. I'm guessing I got this code due to the wreck. Anyway, I cleared the code and everything is back to normal.

Thanks again to all for the help. This is a great forum with great people.

So how did you clear it?
wayneleslie

Scroll up about 4 posts to the one by Joe Friday. There's a link in the post. It takes you to a wealth of knowlege on R bikes. I just followed the steps listed.

THANKS JOE!!!

Archived