IGNORED

2000 R1100RT Fuel problems

sscheffing

Hello, trusty 2000 BMW R1100RT (43,000 miles) no longer starts and has me stumped.  I'm no BMW service tech but I do my own wrenching since 1974.   Fuel pump will not turn on (for the 2 seconds)  when ignition is turned on.  Bikes remainging electrical systems are functions perfectly.  I have completed the following procedures:

Tested and swapped fuses and relays all are good

By passed side stand switch--it is working as designed

Replaced hall sensor (it was not toasted but appeared one wire had failed or was ready to)

By-passed bike electrics and attached 12V power to pump---it sounds like it is running fine.

Spark plugs are firing.

Bike will try to run with a little gas sprayed into throttle bodies.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  

1 hour ago, sscheffing said:

Hello, trusty 2000 BMW R1100RT (43,000 miles) no longer starts and has me stumped.  I'm no BMW service tech but I do my own wrenching since 1974.   Fuel pump will not turn on (for the 2 seconds)  when ignition is turned on.  Bikes remainging electrical systems are functions perfectly.  I have completed the following procedures:

Tested and swapped fuses and relays all are good

By passed side stand switch--it is working as designed

Replaced hall sensor (it was not toasted but appeared one wire had failed or was ready to)

By-passed bike electrics and attached 12V power to pump---it sounds like it is running fine.

Spark plugs are firing.

Bike will try to run with a little gas sprayed into throttle bodies.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  

Afternoon   sscheffing

I am about to go off the grid for a while so  I can get you started on your further troubleshooting but I might not be back for a while. 

Easiest place to start is to see if the fuel pump relay is being triggered by the fueling-computer so put a 12v test light (or a voltmeter) on the green/white wire going to one of the fuel injectors. See if you have 12v on the green/white injector wire for a couple of seconds  at key-on, then stays on during engine cranking.  

This will  hopefully will tell us on what side of the fuel pump relay that your problem lies. 

If no 12v at key-on and during cranking then make sure the red  wire (terminal 30) going to the fuel pump relay has 12v on it all the time (from fuse #6).

Then make sure that terminal (86) green/yellow wire going to the fuel pump relay has 12v on it at key-on (all the time that key is on).

This should get you started. 

No power at injectors at key on or when cranking. 
Fuse 6 has power on both sides.  Terminal 30 has no power at anytime.  Guessing wire from fuse to terminal 30 has a short. 
Thanks  for time and knowledge.  I will try to learn how to disassemble fuse/relay panel to inspect wiring.  

Thank you Dave, I have 12 VDC at both sides of fuse, but none at the fuel pump relay.  I have no idea how to get under the fuse/relay panel.