IGNORED

On board computer

peejay

I have recently acquired an R1200ST and have a query re the on board computer. I am sure that when I first had a demo ride the led saying 'ABS' flashed and disappeared after moving off. Now the led says 'Brake Failure'and disappears after moving off. The handbook also mentions the ABS pulling away test. What is going on?

I have a similar problem with my RT. Am curious to see what people have to say about this... when I start my bike, the IP flashes "brake failure," but it goes away on roll-off. I couldn't find this particular scenario in the owners manual.

???

BOB

The "brake failure" will blink until the wheels make a revolution. This is part of the ABS self test and is normal. The ABS light will also blink initially as part of the system start up test. I don't have my manual in front of me, but I'm sure I read something regarding this and that was how my dealer explained it to me when I picked up the bike.

I still get occasional brake failure on my led and no booster power fjor the brakes, only residual power and it pissed me off. The bike [05 ST] will then have to cool down or I'll need to do a whole shutdown and restart to regain my servo power.

This is not only a recurrent annoyance, it is quite dangerous. Last weekend as I left Bay Area techdaze, my bike had been sitting idle for several hours, upon startup my warning flashed on the led and I had no power. Sometimes it will reset itself just by riding off---not the ABS warning, this is normal and always shuts off once you get rolling. This is actual loss of brake power. In this instance Roburt's driveway was dangerous anyway, uphill, downhill, sand and water runnig across it, I could have lost it. This is the first time in over a month it has happened but it has happened before and again I will need to take it to the dealer, an inconvenience for a $16000 motorcycle. frown.gif

My sales person told me the same thing. After the wheel makes a revolution (or two?), the brake failure light will go off. Nothing to worry about!

Some new model R1200X (including mine) have had a problem with the front ABS sensor wire routed actually rubbing on the disc.

This led to the ABS going out and the wire and sensor being replaced under warranty. This is probably not what you are describing but it is probably worth a look.

It did result in intermittent ABS flashing but this occurred while riding, not just at startup.

Not sure if it fits but it is important to turn the ignition on, and let the bike do ALL of its self checks - red triangle - yellow triangle - etc before you start the bike. Initially the battery symbol will appear reflecting the drain on it from starting and after a bit that goes away. As you start moving the wheel sensors are checked and if all is good the flashing ABS light will go out.

If the battery is a bit low from taking short trips where a full charge cannot be applied then it can cause weird things to happen, indicator wise. If that may fit your situation, you might try a long ride or a charger to bring the battery up to snuff.

ABS failure indicators on older BMWs were invariably due to battery condition and ordinarily resolved with a good long run or a charge.

FWIW, and well intentioned

Marty

Thanks guys for your comments. Still not sure why the LED flashes the words 'Brake Failure'instead of 'ABS' as it did the first time I demo'd the bike.

As mentioned above, the "brake failure" flasher is part of the self test and goes out once moving (this is documented in the manual I have 06 RT). Also, could it be that the bike you test rode was an 05 and you now have an 06? If so they may have made a change to the indicators. Finally, although unlikely, the manual also states that ABS indicators may differ according to country location. It may also be possible that the test ride bike was fitted for a different locale. At any rate, not a problem in my opinion.

Thanks guys for your comments. Still not sure why the LED flashes the words 'Brake Failure'instead of 'ABS' as it did the first time I demo'd the bike.

Has the bike been back to the dealer for any work? This may be the result of a firmware upgrade, to bring it into line with the indication on the earlier (1150) bikes.

Andy

I have a 2005 RT and both the bike I demo'd as well as the bike I bought gave a "brake failure" flash warning until the tire spins enough to end the self test.

So in my significant experience of 2 2005 RTs in the North Eastern United states they've been consistent.

I'll be happy to test ride other RTs in other areas of the country to check those as well. Just let me know where... grin.gif

The Brake test is performed at Power-up - the "fast flash" of the "Brake Failure" light is the servo and system test. If this completes, the flash will change to slow. Once the bike moves at ~1.5 mph, the ABS test will complete and the light will go out. If you are holding the brake lever (or have your foot on the rear), have a brake light failure, or have a system failure, the light will continue to flash fast and the servo system will not function. As stated above, make sure that you let the system go through all tests before starting the bike and try to keep your hand off the brake. If you are holding the brake lever, the system self test should complete ~ 2 second after you release it.

I remember reading in the manual that you may not apply the brakes until AFTER the startup sequence/self check is over, otherwise you will not get any servo-assist and the red failure warning will continue to flash. I thought that was annoying at first, but I adapted startup routine a bit and now I have no problem! smile.gif

My dealer instructed me exactly the same when I took delivery.

I remember reading in the manual that you may not apply the brakes until AFTER the startup sequence/self check is over, otherwise you will not get any servo-assist and the red failure warning will continue to flash. I thought that was annoying at first, but I adapted startup routine a bit and now I have no problem! smile.gif
........Still not sure why the LED flashes the words 'Brake Failure'instead of 'ABS' as it did the first time I demo'd the bike.

Somewhere I read that the brake warning signal shows "ABS" on Euro spec R12RTs and "Brake Falure" on US (and maybe Canadian) spec bikes. The brake circuits work the same way; only the words that show on panel are different. I have no idea how you might have gotten a US spec bike in the UK!

Brian

I still get occasional brake failure on my led and no booster power fjor the brakes, only residual power and it pissed me off. The bike [05 ST] will then have to cool down or I'll need to do a whole shutdown and restart to regain my servo power.

This is not only a recurrent annoyance, it is quite dangerous. Last weekend as I left Bay Area techdaze, my bike had been sitting idle for several hours, upon startup my warning flashed on the led and I had no power. Sometimes it will reset itself just by riding off---not the ABS warning, this is normal and always shuts off once you get rolling. This is actual loss of brake power. In this instance Roburt's driveway was dangerous anyway, uphill, downhill, sand and water runnig across it, I could have lost it. This is the first time in over a month it has happened but it has happened before and again I will need to take it to the dealer, an inconvenience for a $16000 motorcycle. frown.gif

I had the same problem on my r1200gs, ocasionally upon turning bike on I had brake failure and no booster power. It took me a while to figure out it was my brake lever getting sticky (sand, dirt in the lever) If the brake lever is held back just a tad upon start up the abs or boosters willnot kick in.

I clean the brake lever and I never have had that same problem.

Archived