IGNORED

Longer Vent Lines in Gas Tank

CraigB

I recently went through and replaced the fuel filter and all hoses inside the gas tank.  But I will be tearing back into the gas tank as I found a problem. Maybe with the longer vent lines I installed inside to make it easier to pull the lines off and put back on. Not much maybe around two inches longer. When I went to fill up on a ride today the tank only registers 1/2 full. I'm thinking that the longer lines are interfering with the float in the tank some how.

I need to ride another day to get the gas out and then I'll tear it all back down again and see whats up.

cb

16 hours ago, CraigB said:

I recently went through and replaced the fuel filter and all hoses inside the gas tank.  But I will be tearing back into the gas tank as I found a problem. Maybe with the longer vent lines I installed inside to make it easier to pull the lines off and put back on. Not much maybe around two inches longer. When I went to fill up on a ride today the tank only registers 1/2 full. I'm thinking that the longer lines are interfering with the float in the tank some how.

I need to ride another day to get the gas out and then I'll tear it all back down again and see whats up.

cb

Morning CraigB

What are you working on?  If an 1100RT or an 1150RT then the longer hoses have no direct input on the gauge reading incorrectly.

The float is ONLY for the low fuel light on the 1100RT/1150RT & has nothing to do with the dash fuel gauge reading. 

Now if you incorrectly hooked up the new vent hose, or the vent hose is plugged, or the old vent hose was plugged  then that could have contributed to your incorrect gauge reading as that can cause the sides of the fuel tank to suck in as the fuel is used from the tank then crush the fuel  sender tube. The long fuel sender tube in your tank is what the gauge reads from.

If your problem is a crushed sender tube then it is repairable but not easily & it is ever so easy to damage the inside resistor  guide wires if not extremely careful.

I have the 1150RS. I didn't see anything like the tube you showed above. Where is that located?

I did check that each vent line were to the right place and there was no blockage in either line.

cb

2 hours ago, CraigB said:

I have the 1150RS. I didn't see anything like the tube you showed above. Where is that located?

I did check that each vent line were to the right place and there was no blockage in either line.

cb

Morning CraigB

Yes, I don't believe that 1150RS uses that float tube as it has a different design fuel tank. On your 1150RS you just might have  one of those hoses fouling the float.

Update on the longer vent lines. After installing about 3 to 4 more inches of vent line in the tank, the fuel gauge would not go past the 1/2 way mark. I got in a good ride this week and and had the tank close to empty and pulled it off the again. I then shortened the vent lines by about 1 1/2 inches. This seemed to pull the lines back and away from the fuel gauge float in the tank.  This longer hose still gives better access to the hose clamps than the stock length.

All is good now.

Craig

Craig,

I did the exact same thing when I last service my tank hoses. My gauge will not show above 1/2 full. I plan to do the same as you have done.

Thanks for sharing,