IGNORED

Good Rider Position illistrated re:RideSmart

Indy Dave

Hmmm

Seems weight is back, on sit bones, not forward.

Seems difficult to assess on that road.

When Dick posted his lessons, practice in parking lots, seems more body involvement.

Mitch posted years ago with pictures, ergos, very well done, showing MYRP.

This to me is meh...

Good points, Tim - Thanks! :18:The rider in the video isn't specifically intending to illustrate RideSmart to any degree (as far as I know). But that front camera angle is a different perspective vs the normal camera angle from the rear being shot by a rider following the 'demonstrating' rider.  I think this is useful and illustrative - if less than ideal.

There's been so little about RideSmart on here, that I hoped to generate a little interest with the video - and your feedback is well received and noted. I'll look through Mitch's threads and either bump them or post links here. I'm not sure which might generate more interest.

With Winter setting in, it's a great time to review good riding practices and skills. and set goals for the 'proper' riding season.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
Joe Frickin' Friday
On 12/4/2019 at 11:18 AM, tallman said:

Mitch posted years ago with pictures, ergos, very well done, showing MYRP.

Well, mine was more of a how not to do it.  I did some stuff right, and screwed up some other stuff, but it started a good discussion that I think a lot of folks learned from.  

• Like 2

Thanks John.

Mitch - I remember you commenting that you felt odd doing the body movements on the more benign curves or corners. I have struggled with that feeling as well, making some arbitrary mental judgement as to the body movement required by the coming road challenges. Not so much when I'm in a good rhythm and pace - it's easy and natural then. But more so before I get to that point -where my pace or the curve doesn't seem so challenging - I am more reluctant to move, all the while knowing it can't hurt, and that if the something unexpected happens, it may well save me. So essentially with only upsides, it seems a no brainer. And yet . . .:ohboy:

Did you ever resolve that dilemma?

• Like 1
John Ranalletta
55 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

Thanks John.

Mitch - I remember you commenting that you felt odd doing the body movements on the more benign curves or corners. I have struggled with that feeling as well, making some arbitrary mental judgement as to the body movement required by the coming road challenges. Not so much when I'm in a good rhythm and pace - it's easy and natural then. But more so before I get to that point -where my pace or the curve doesn't seem so challenging - I am more reluctant to move, all the while knowing it can't hurt, and that if the something unexpected happens, it may well save me. So essentially with only upsides, it seems a no brainer. And yet . . .:ohboy:

Dave, I just don't ride enough to establish muscle memory (good habits).  As I age, I find my reflexes and reaction times are diminished; so, speed isn't so much an issue.  At FART, I had difficulty keeping up with Mike and in the afternoon simply had to lay back due to concentration issues.

Joe Frickin' Friday
21 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

I did not.  :classic_biggrin:

Sometimes I'm more conscious of it and make an effort to do it, but I've generally found it impossible to sustain over the course of a whole day of riding.   Maybe the biggest obstacle for me is just feeling self-conscious - which is particularly dumb when the only people around me are anonymous motorists I'll probably never see again.  It feels like posing, as though I'm a wanna-be racer trundling through my neighborhood on a crotchrocket at 30 MPH while trying to reach the pavement with a knee puck.  It might be smarter to consciously discard that mindset: instead of viewing it as posing, view it as practice.  

• Like 1

:3:

I remember an El Paseo.

Mitch, you passed us, going same direction, on the Cherohala, looking very good.

Our group stopped and ate.

When we were heading back east, just going, you were heading west.

This was on the green RT.

R to L your way, it looked like your mirrors were closer to the asphalt than your saddlebags, lol.

And fast...

:bike:

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...