IGNORED

New 1800cc

RPondaRoad

Not sure I would want that in a sport touring or adventure bike.  It looks gigantic and I would guess it would it add considerable more weight.  The article says 91 hp at 3,000 rpm; what say the engineers here about its top hp numbers?

I am sure the aftermarket can up the available HP. but with the power to weight ratio on my 1250 RT, I can live with the significantly smaller motor.  Just sayin'

:bike:

two hundred forty four pounds for the weight, anyone know the weight of the current R12XX motor and transmission? 

The press announcement states that an electric reverse is a feature that can easily be added so I am expecting the tour version to have it, if not indicate we may have a near eight hundred pound BMW tour.  Odd fact, half again the size of the lower tuned R1200 from the previous BMW with 50% increase in displacement and horsepower. 

It sounds like it is tuned for a cruiser but it looks really slick ... from what the attached spy photos of the bike show.   I look forward to seeing and riding it!   No ... not a replacement for my RT or GS .... but hey maybe a 3rd bike in the stable! 

• 2 weeks later...

like the wheels on that stripped down bike, now if the tour version has the reverse the transmission supports I may have to consider it. still I am worried about the weight, BMW best not let this thing weigh more than a k1600 loaded up

16 hours ago, CommuterChris said:

like the wheels on that stripped down bike, now if the tour version has the reverse the transmission supports I may have to consider it. still I am worried about the weight, BMW best not let this thing weigh more than a k1600 loaded up

The engine weighs 20 more pounds than the K1600 engine.  I suspect the weight would be really close to a K1600 by the time you add all the accessory's we have come to expect on a touring bike.  

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, profbodryak said:

They say it is 91 horsepower. How can it be less powerful than the new 1200's and 1250's?

It has more torque than the 1200/1250.  It was designed to be a torque machine, just like most cruisers out there.

Just now, 92Merc said:

It has more torque than the 1200/1250.  It was designed to be a torque machine, just like most cruisers out there.

Yeah, I saw the torque in the article as well. Was just wondering how the HP rating would translate into their marketing efforts.

I just looked up the Indian Dark Horse for comparison.  Both air cooled twins.

HP was 154 HP.  So that's more than I expected.  But torque was 119 ft/lbs.  So that's in line with the BMW.

16 hours ago, 92Merc said:

I just looked up the Indian Dark Horse for comparison.  Both air cooled twins.

HP was 154 HP.  So that's more than I expected.  But torque was 119 ft/lbs.  So that's in line with the BMW.

none of their twins have that much horsepower, not even their new water cooled engine has that; it is listed at 122hp and 128lbs torque.

the thunderstroke 111 puts down 78hp and 119lbs torque.

As for why this new BMW motor produces such little horsepower, got to fit an air cooled motor into Euro5 emissions

2 hours ago, CommuterChris said:

none of their twins have that much horsepower, not even their new water cooled engine has that; it is listed at 122hp and 128lbs torque.

the thunderstroke 111 puts down 78hp and 119lbs torque.

As for why this new BMW motor produces such little horsepower, got to fit an air cooled motor into Euro5 emissions

I see what happened. I did a Google search for Indian Dark Horse Horsepower.  The quick results turned up a page where they compared it to the Harley Road Glide Special.  It was THAT bike that has 154 HP.  Not the Indian.  Indian actually has 73 hp according to their dyno.

https://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/indian-motorcycles/2019-indian-chieftain-dark-horse-ar182435.html

6 hours ago, 92Merc said:

I see what happened. I did a Google search for Indian Dark Horse Horsepower.  The quick results turned up a page where they compared it to the Harley Road Glide Special.  It was THAT bike that has 154 HP.  Not the Indian.  Indian actually has 73 hp according to their dyno.

https://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/indian-motorcycles/2019-indian-chieftain-dark-horse-ar182435.html

The Harley 114ci produces 100 horsepower and 119 pound of torque

On 11/30/2019 at 4:28 AM, RPondaRoad said:

https://www.rideapart.com/articles/385230/bmw-1800-boxer-engine-details/

Hmmm...I'm trying to think of how I can stuff this beautiful thing into my RT!  :5210:

The engine was designed from the start to look beautiful and be the showpiece of the bike - and, boy, have they succeeded. The engine weighs 110 Kg without the gearbox and the crankshaft alone weighs 8.7 kg 

H-D riders never refer to the (relatively lowly) HP outputs of their bikes only to the cu.in. of the engines e.g. 108, 114, 117 are emblazoned on the sides on the air filter covers.  So it is a question of who has the biggest, not the fastest.

Will it sell well in the USA? I suppose that will be depend on the number of folk who can get to the dealerships to view them in the first place - a big problem for BMW vs H-D.  However BMW's homeland is a big market for H-D, so maybe they can make some conquests there. The global market for larger cruisers is 300,000 p.a.

I doubt that the R18 will give H-D anything to worry about any more than the K1600 Baggers or the Gold Wing or the new H-D Pan-America will worry the R1250GS. 

I do think that Cruiser riders will love that they can see the Boxer cylinders sticking out when they ride. 

quote from topspeed….. "The FXDR 114 combines the unrelenting power of the Milwaukee-Eight 114 engine, the biggest put out on any of the current Softail models. The 1868cc DOHC motor pulls out a commendable 90 hp and 119 lb-ft peak torque to lug around 668 lbs."

Screamin’ Eagle 4.075-inch bore bolt-on cylinders and matching pistons increase displacement of Milwaukee-Eight 107 engines to 114 cubic inches, and take Milwaukee-Eight 114 engines to 117 cubic inches. The Screamin’ Eagle Milwaukee-Eight Stage IV Kit delivers nearly 101HP

For street riding I'll take HP over torque.  For plowing the back 40 I'll take torque....just saying HP is fun..