IGNORED

Rider airbag in the works

GelStra

Park your bike and walk away from it without disconnecting the triggering device and BLAMMO! Instant beach ball.

Bart Anderson

A common practical joke around these parts is to ride up next to your buddy's right side, then reach over and hit his kill switch. This raises the stakes substantially...

Park your bike and walk away from it without disconnecting the triggering device and BLAMMO!
It actually takes a little more effort than that as the designer acknowledges people sometimes forget.

It isn't a bad idea but does not activate till you and the bike do part ways and that may be a bit late in some circumstances.

I guess we all know Honda had released an on bike unit as well. I think pictures were posted on this forum some time back.

Still think it is good to see people thinking about what else can protect riders in the event of a fall.

At some point you just have to admit motorcycles are too dangerous and buy a Miata.

My wife is hoping that day comes sooner than later. Grrrrrr.

I may have to admit she is too dangerous to my sanity and get a new wife! grin.gif

Don’t know where I will stand on the airbag issue, like them in my truck but I don’t know yet, around the bike confused.gif. As far as the rest of the story, I got rid of the wife. New wife has her own bike – best handling improvement I ever made to my bike! cool.gif

As far as the rest of the story, I got rid of the wife. New wife has her own bike – best handling improvement I ever made to my bike!

Ooh, I knew I loved this board! thumbsup.gif

As far as the rest of the story, I got rid of the wife.

I did the same thing myself with wife #2. Of course she had so many 'endearing qualities' if it wasn't the bike it would have been something else.

On a more serious note....

The recent issue of Motor Cyclist, I believe, features the airbag jacket as one of the 20 best new products. The manufacturer, a Japanese Company, has been selling the product for several years. I think its a good idea because the jacket or vest, when uninflated, looks and functions like any other jacket. The only issue I have with the concept is that the jacket takes about one half second to inflate. For a typical T-bone, thats too slow. Car airbags use exlosive devices to speed up inflation. However, in other scenarios, the vest/jacket could be a body saver. IMHO. I would buy one if I could be convinced that it would deploy quickly enough to help. Dean

Hi Guys

I use a HIT AIR airbag jacket and have done for a few months now. In some literature they have said around 0.2sec to inflate but I think this is often rounded to "a half a second" to be safe. The jacket included a DVD showing several "T bones" in slow motion and it seems to do the job. The Japanese and Spanish police (amongst others) use them so that gives me some confidence. See Hit Air

It takes a 25 or so kilo pull so no, you won't forget to dissconnect and "blow up like a ballooon".

Martin

MightNotBeThere

One friend died the year year before last, and another crashed very badly (ironically, returning from a Keith Code 2-day camp) last year.

In both cases, T-bones due to the usual "I wasn't looking". Definitely in the first case, and quite possibly in the seocnd, air bags would have helped.

There are too many crazies out there, mostly it seems, driving SUVs very badly, with celphones welded in one ear, to not take advantage of whetever protection we can get.

Alex

(who is clearly becoming a little chickenshit in his old age)

Archived