IGNORED

straightening a fairing bracket 2009 rt

jjpen

1 hour ago, jjpen said:

Has anyone had any success straightening a fairing bracket?  I need to bend mine up on the right side.

Evening jjpen

Yes, but there are a lot of "depends" on this_

Depends on how much it is bent, where it is bent, how tight the bend. Not all bends can be safely straightened, it is a judgment thing.

We need a lot more info (with pictures if possible).

28 minutes ago, jjpen said:

The right mirror is about 1 inch lower than the left.

Morning jjpen

You need to figure out what is bent & where it is bent then tell us that location before we can help you. 

Straightening bent  fairing brackets is a kind of fix-what-is-bent deal as there is no one procedure that covers all damage.

You sort of need to work it out as you go then find what is bent, then repair what is bent, using  different procedures for what you need to straighten or align. 

If a bracket tube is bent (up) then I usually place a 2x4 between the floor & the tube just inboard of the bend then use a large rubber mallet or a big rawhide hammer way outboard to work the  tube back straight. 

A person sort is has to have  common sense reasoning about where to support, where to hit or pry, what else can deflect, how far to overshoot so the part  returns to normal. 

See picture below to see how complex the fairing bracketry is.

LGwsZxg.jpg

55 minutes ago, jjpen said:

It seems to just be rotated.  I was hoping to leave it mounted to the bike and clamp a long lever(2x4?) to and rotate it straight again.

Afternoon jjpen

You are the one working with it so you are the one that  can see what has moved & what has to be done.  Just make sure that prying on one side to rotate it doesn't also move the other side. 

The part is still on the bike.  I was just hoping to get input and some ideas before I start on it.  I can buy a used one for $150 including shipping and that might be the best way to go.  What do you think?

57 minutes ago, jjpen said:

The part is still on the bike.  I was just hoping to get input and some ideas before I start on it.  I can buy a used one for $150 including shipping and that might be the best way to go.  What do you think?

Afternoon jjpen

Depends-- On how bad yours is bent, where it is bent,  & if it is easy to straighten. 

It is a lot of work to replace that darn bracketry so if you can straighten yours without a lot of work then it might be easier. 

Or try to straighten yours then if you can't get it right order that used one. 

Problem with used motorcycle frame parts on later model bikes is that a lot of them come from crashed bikes, even if hit in the rear it probably went over on it's side pretty hard.