IGNORED

BMW iPod connector

Paul4450

I purchased this on eBay to replace the audio and USB cables to connect my iPhone 4 (now used as an iPod) to play my music and be able to control the playlist, volume, etc, via the wonder wheel.  I listen via custom 2 way ear plugs which plug into my Sena 20S.  I cannot adjust the volume low enough. The music is just too loud. The wonder wheel volume is set at the lowest setting, the “volume limit” on the iPod is on and set to the lowest, the volume setting on the iPod is at the lowest. 

It seems like the output from the iPod is fixed via the BMW hookup, regardless of volume settings on the iPod. 

With  the audio and USB cables, I can adjust the volume on the iPod to set a baseline, then use my Sena To adjust volume as needed. But I am unable to skip tracks, access playlists, etc. 

I only paid $25 for this (vs $90 from a dealer), so perhaps I bought a knockoff and this is why I’m having issues.  There are some numbers on the back- 0440 796. 

I’m ok going back to my old setup but thought I’d check with the forum to see if I’m missing something. 

CB1E0E3A-7F11-4138-BC09-38B64E5C1FA7.jpeg

B0091FC8-7EBE-4A21-A279-F3B006199FD1.jpeg

Have you tried turning it down at the Sena (which adjusts volume separately for different inputs)?  Or is the iPod way louder than, say, FM radio from the same source?  I haven't run into this problem, BUT I'm not using BMW's Bluetooth interface (I've got a Motochello speaker bridge taking BMW bike audio into a Sena SM10, along with audio from my V1).  I'm also using an iPod Nano rather than an iPhone.

• Like 1

paul....I had one of those (paid too much genuine BMW) adapters when I had my iPhone 4.  I could control volume from the SENA only, not the wonderwheel.  I used the SENA speakers so that may be the difference.  In addition to what Bill said, I would look at your GPS settings and see if you can turn it down there.  If I remember right the iPhone was actually through the GPS to the SENA...but not sure I remember correctly.  

If that doesn't work and you would like to try my OEM one to be sure, I'll loan it to you.  I still use it in a BMW car so don't want to give away, but don't mind loaning it to check it out.

Thanks Skywagon. I forgot about the GPS volume control. I don’t use the GPS for directions all that much but hopefully I can find a compromise setting that allows but the music and directions to be at a tolerable volume!

i appreciate the offers to borrow a genuine connector as well!

I also had one of those cables after purchasing my 2015 RTW.  Paid the big bucks for the genuine Apple product, but it never worked consistently.  Finally gave up and put my music on a thumb drive...works flawlessly and I would never go back to trying to plug in my iPhone.

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello all!,

I’ve tried adjusting the volume in the. GPS, via the “audio” in the bike menu, via the iPod settings (maximum volume), and the only control that affects the volume I hear is the Sena volume wheel. My next step is to scour the Sena manual you see if I can reset the “minimum volume” to a lower volume. 

I thank everyone for the help and suggestions. I’ll let you guys know what I find and if it works. 

Thanks everyone!

The Sena Bluetooth application has a couple of parameters for the 20s you might try.  After you connect there is a screen where you turn on volume boost and can also set volume output ( I think) from low-medium-high.  I think the factory default is low.  I have mine on medium with the boost on and I have lots of volume.  Not sure if that is the issue but worth a try.  You may be on high and need to turn it to medium or low.

15 hours ago, Paul4450 said:

Hello all!,

I’ve tried adjusting the volume in the. GPS, via the “audio” in the bike menu, via the iPod settings (maximum volume), and the only control that affects the volume I hear is the Sena volume wheel. My next step is to scour the Sena manual you see if I can reset the “minimum volume” to a lower volume. 

I thank everyone for the help and suggestions. I’ll let you guys know what I find and if it works. 

Thanks everyone!

Assuming that you have a Garmin product, you adjust the audio volume of the GPS inside the GPS menu item.  Forgot which, but you should have no troubles finding it!

Yes there is a volume adjust on the garmin…..but I think the op said already tried that.  There is a nav volume adjustment on the SENA 20S in the app...  My volumes are all about right on the 20S EVO I just installed.  If you need those settings as well as my Garmin V settings let me know and I'll shoot a picture for you.

On 12/1/2019 at 12:20 PM, powwow said:

Finally gave up and put my music on a thumb drive...works flawlessly and I would never go back to trying to plug in my iPhone.

Me too, but did have some issues getting my full iTunes library converted from m4a to mp3 needed to work on the BMW system. Too bad BMW didn't provide more decoding flexibility in their system to make a simple drag and drop process to get the files onto to thumb drive. The only other adaptation to the thumb drive was adding a directory structure on the thumb drive A-T, The, U-Z and alphabetically sort out the music folders by Artist.  This saves a ton of whizzie wheel spinning to get to the album(haha old school term) I want to listen to.

Yeah, I went through the same thing when I had gotten the '14 RT.  Got the adapter for my iPod, and after periods of erratic issues, I went to the thumb-drive (actually microSD card in a tiny USB reader), and actually gained additional functional options that weren't there with the iPod set-up.