IGNORED

Autoswitch and Motolights...

jakfrost

I was sure I had read somewhere of a 'canbus' owner using an 'autoswitch' on the turn signal cancel to control the 'Motolights' on their bike...

Search didn't help...

I just recieved an e-mail reply to my inquiry at 'Autoswitch.com' and they said nothing available yet for the 'canbus' bikes...but that I could use the headlite feed to activate the autoswitch/motolights. I would prefer the turn signal cancel rather that be 'flashing the headlight' every time I want to turn the motolights on or off...any advice??

Jim

It's on the BMW Santa Cruz site.

http://209.61.235.222/Merchant2/merchant...Code=autoswitch

You want the 5P model.

Thanks Dan, I am still not sure...I would like to hear from someone who has actually installed this 'autoswitch' and it is working fine before ordering and shipping to Canada. I have had to send items back twice now to Santa Cruz. Mind you they have been great about taking it back, one didn't fit, ( Wunderlich oil cooler screen ), and the 'Micro-Flooters' aux lites also Wunderlich, which after a full day of frustration, completly disassembled the plastic,etc. Phone calls to Santa Cruz, and then e-mailed photos, it was finally determined they had sent me the completly wrong kit for my bike.

I end up swallowing the shipping both ways plus taxes, handling, etc. You get the picture...

Anyway the people who MAKE the autoswitch claim they do not have a 'canbus' specific ( 'it is in the works'...for 6 months now ) autoswitch available yet.

Maybe the 5P model works anyway using the turn signal cancel, but its confusing to say the least tongue.gif.

Jim

My dealer installed the autoswitch; it uses the turn signal cancel button. Also installed a small LED indicator and tucked it in between the handlebar and brake fluid reservoir.

Jim,

I'm using the headlight model. I talked to the owner of autoswitch and had previously posted a msg from him here. They had hoped to have a turn signal cancel switch ready by now, but obviously it's not.

The high beam flash works great. I never turn mine off, just a quick beam flash in the garage, and they're on till I turn the bike off. But, each to his own.

Pictures of my setup are on my R1200RT site in my signature.

My dealer installed the autoswitch; it uses the turn signal cancel button. Also installed a small LED indicator and tucked it in between the handlebar and brake fluid reservoir.

Any idea WHICH autoswitch your dealer installed??

And thanks Don, I knew I had read it somewhere here before but couldn't recall details, getting old...plus I find the part numbers autoswitch uses hard to remember, AN5P, AN5P2,C3PO, R2D2, etc,etc.

Jim

Just to be clear, you have an '03 K12RS. The issue on the autoswitches is on the new "hexheads" with the CAN-BUS system.
Aluminum_Butt

Here is a recent thread where someone said they were using the turn-signal-cancel version on CANBUS: >>>Here<<<

FWIW, I agree with one point Ken made - I tend to turn on my aux lights and leave them on. I have the turn-signal-cancel autoswitch on my non-CANBUS GT. At this point I kind of wish I'd opted for the high-beam version instead.

Firefight911

I have an '05 R1200ST with Motolights and an Autoswitch (AS5NB).

I have not had ANY problems whatsoever with this set-up. The autoswitch operates off the turn signal cancel switch witht the LED mounted to the instrument cluster bracket (small hole drilled).

The autoswitch is under the tank tupperware, to the left side, at the rear of the tank.

Power for the autoswitch comes off the aux. outlet and the lights are direct wired to the battery.

I love this set up and I will reiterate, I have had NO problems whatsoever with the CANBUS.

thumbsup.gifgrin.gifwave.gifclap.gif

Ahhhh, now its all coming back to me...those threads I read a month or so ago that is.

So I have ordered the 5P from Santa Cruz, (they take my Paypal, no problem wink.gif), so I expect I will use this switch to trigger the Motolights off the headlights. That sounds like an acceptable solution, turn them on with the headlights and leave them on.

I may still order the AS5NB to see if I can get the garage door opener to work off of the turn signal cancel, saves flashing the house ( and waking up the warden...) if I am late home thumbsup.gif.

Thanks for the help, oh, and the ZTechnic windshield came today, it looks the same height but approx. 4-5 inches wider just at the top corners. I will try to take a picture of the stock on top of the ZTec. to illustrate, just as soon as these 15 hr days come to an end...Haven't tried it on the road yet, can't wait.

Jim

Archived