IGNORED

Bug removal

sisu

It seems I never am able to get all the bugs off on my RT. When it is wet and soapy I can't seem to see them all, then when I dry the bike, I always see what I missed. I don't clean my bike very frequently unless it really needs it, since I think you can cause damage with casual cleanings. Are there some foolproof products out there?

I soak a big towel in the solution that I'm going to wash the bike in, and hang it from the wind-screen and place it on the front end of all the bodywork. Go get a beverage of choice and let it set for 1/2 hour or so. Remove towel and hose off, then wash bike as usual.

From the land of yearly Love Bug invasions, Bugs-be-Gone by Seafoam is without a doubt the best, easiest, and most complete bug removal stuff on the market. Very gentle on the finish, requires no scrubbing. Simply spray it on wait 30 seconds and usinging a soaking wet towel wipe even hard baked on bugs off. This stuff is water activated and some how makes the bugs turn into a soft jelly like material. Here's a link for more info.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/bugsBGone.htm

Gail

Try hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle. Spray on to the debris; wait a few minutes, rinse of while washing the bike.

Do you dilute it with water or just use it as is? Any harmful effect on the paint? Never heard anyone using Hydrogen peroxide.

1-part bleach and 4 parts water solution. I've used it on the car for years with no problem. Leave it on for a few minutes and it will soften the crud enough that it will wash off with a little scrubbing.

Bob.

Soak, soak, soak for a long time with water. The carcasses will eventually hydrate and then wash off.

Bugs are full of organic acids and will etch paint if left on for more than a few days.

Next time you ride home in the rain, wash the bike before it dries and the bugs should all come off.

Firefight911

Honda's spray cleaner. Whisks them right off with minimal effort and then you have a protective coating on the tupperware that makes future suicide bombings easier to clean!

What would you use if you were going on a month's trip? I am thinking about it, but worry about the bugs piling up on the bike, windshield, and my visor. I have a small spray bottle that I keep filled up with a mixture of dish soap and water. I keep a small microfiber cloth that i use to clean windshield and helmet visor, but what about the front of the bike. I don't have room for much extra stuff. I rode 100 miles the other night here ins south florida testing out my hella 50's and the next day the front of my bike had about 200 distict splats from our annual invasion of lovebugs. Just carry a bottle of that bugs-be-gone with me? Or what other tricks do you have while on the road at campgrounds? Thanks.

What would you use if you were going on a month's trip? I am thinking about it, but worry about the bugs piling up on the bike, windshield, and my visor. I have a small spray bottle that I keep filled up with a mixture of dish soap and water. I keep a small microfiber cloth that i use to clean windshield and helmet visor, but what about the front of the bike. I don't have room for much extra stuff. I rode 100 miles the other night here ins south florida testing out my hella 50's and the next day the front of my bike had about 200 distict splats from our annual invasion of lovebugs. Just carry a bottle of that bugs-be-gone with me? Or what other tricks do you have while on the road at campgrounds? Thanks.

Chamois...water! grin.gif

I am not kidding here.

I usually keep a full-sized synthetic chamois in a zip-lock bag...fully hydrated. I'll usually put it in the glove box...lastly of my ST13, and now the same on my R12RT.

At any time during the day if Barb's or my face shield gets too buggy, out comes the chamois. Works great, and at least on the ST, the whole chamois was WARM and wet.(You know...the UNGODLY, UNBEARABLKE ST13 HEAT...NOT).

When we get to the days destination, I usually just get a waste basket from the room (no we don't do camping anymore), fill it with warm water, and head out with the chamois to do the scoot. Works well if I just do this at the end of the days ride...or in the morning when the dew has softened everything.

If the bike is way dirty, I'll usually stop in a do-it-yourself car wash, and use that...LOW pressure around bearings, etc.

Others will tell you to never wash the d*mn scoot, but that ain't me. wink.gif

I have enough time to ride and have a clean scoot.

I've successfully used Plexus for years. Just spray it on, and for really thick coatings of bugs, let it sit for a couple minutes. They just melt right off. Even those huge splattered june bugs and dragon flies. Great stuff.

Hydrogen peroxide works great at home...on the road; if you hotel/motel it, ask the front desk for rags. Most will politely give them to you. Wet them down and spread over the bug "infected" area. After a soak, they wash right off. thumbsup.gif

I'm told that spit works very well. Apparently the enzymes in saliva actually break down the bug guts and stuff better than most commercial cleaners.

I got that one from a car detailer.

Of course, trying to clean the whole front of the bike would require a lot of salivating.

Grins,

G.

Bill Murray

In between washings, I use Plexus for touch-up cleaning of bugs on the bodywork and especially the windscreen. Plexus works well on the helmet visor too! Otherwise, lots of warm water and a mild car washing detergent seems to work well for me.

I used to use dishwash detergent until I read how it removes the wax. I spent the big bucks and bought some actual car wash stuff. Supposedly it will not remove the protective wax coating. Also soaking seems to be the ticket let the moisturre do the work (patience?) Also I use my toothbrush to get the tuff ones and hard to reach places; only problem it tastes funky in the morning. eek.gif

I'm told that spit works very well. Apparently the enzymes in saliva actually break down the bug guts and stuff better than most commercial cleaners.

I got that one from a car detailer.

Of course, trying to clean the whole front of the bike would require a lot of salivating.

Grins,

G.

Go talk to a dude named Pavlov, he can help you produce more grin.gif

I do the towel thing as you describe. I've found that keeping a couple coats of wax on the painted parts helps alot. Honda has a spray cleaner and polish that does a good job as well.

Tom, you needn't worry about casual cleaning harming the finish. The paint will stay nice longer if you keep it clean. Dirt is abrasive. Try this. Wash bike, blow water off bike w/ blower. Apply small amount of mist detailer and wipe. A quick coat of wax every 2nd or 3rd wash. Bike will look better than new. Only the GS guys can get away with not washing the bike. It's a status thing w/ them! wink.gif

Bart Anderson

I like the Mothers Clay Bar system...usually do it once a year with a good coat of their carnuba wax afterwards.

Archived