Roadking1

replaced TPM sensors

Roadking1

The tire pressure monitor sensor batteries died on my 2014 R1200RT so I opted for the $35 TPM sensors on Amazon from Nana-Auto instead of the $200 ones from BMW. I was not interested in trying to dig out the old batteries and replacing them. They were OEM but did not have serial numbers so I could not program them with the GS911, had to have the friendly San Jose CA dealer program them for me. Nice to not look at the warning sign all the time and have the peace of mind my tires weren't flat anymore.

Amazon.com: NANA-AUTO Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor,TPMS Sensor for BMW C600 C650 F800 K1300 K1600.webarchive

strataj
5 hours ago, Roadking1 said:

The tire pressure monitor sensor batteries died on my 2014 R1200RT so I opted for the $35 TPM sensors on Amazon from Nana-Auto instead of the $200 ones from BMW. I was not interested in trying to dig out the old batteries and replacing them. They were OEM but did not have serial numbers so I could not program them with the GS911, had to have the friendly San Jose CA dealer program them for me. Nice to not look at the warning sign all the time and have the peace of mind my tires weren't flat anymore.

Amazon.com: NANA-AUTO Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor,TPMS Sensor for BMW C600 C650 F800 K1300 K1600.webarchive 9.63 MB · 6 downloads

The Nana-Auto from Amazon are Chinese knock offs.  The rear lasted less a week before it's battery failed too. 

Since the knock offs don't come with serial numbers you'll need to use a wake up tool with the GS911.  https://www.amazon.com/VXDAS-EL-50448-Pressure-Monitor-Activation/dp/B072BK693N/ref=sr_1_3?crid=99BVJ5C0D3QS&keywords=gm+tpms+relearn+tool&qid=1574510478&sprefix=gm+t%2Caps%2C168&sr=8-3 

realshelby

I have read, but cannot confirm so it may be BS, that you can "wake up" a tire pressure sensor by unscrewing the valve and letting the tire deflate rapidly. 

I have a GS911, but so far have not tried to do anything beyond looking at data from the OEM tpm's. The rear will get replaced with a knock off due to it shutting down in hot weather after tire gets hot. That is even after replacing the battery, which did help it. 

Roadking1

Guess I should have known they weren't OEM given the price and lack of serial number but they were identical in every other way to my eye. They were installed on the bike about a month ago and 1,000 miles, if they fail anytime soon I will update this post. Keeping my fingers crossed. That wakeup tool at $10 looks like a good bet.

dirtrider
21 hours ago, realshelby said:

I have read, but cannot confirm so it may be BS, that you can "wake up" a tire pressure sensor by unscrewing the valve and letting the tire deflate rapidly. 

Morning Terry

I would be curious on this as it usually takes either-- a strong magnet around the valve stem (won't work with the  'valve-mounted-on-the-wheel-spoke' rims), or takes spinning the wheel at 15-20 mph, or takes a wake-up tool, or takes programming the serial numbers.

It would be easy enough to find out as letting the air out without moving the motorcycle would trigger a dash alert with motorcycle sitting still (motorcycle not previously moved for a while).  If the dash low-air warning doesn't come on then it didn't wake the TPMS sensor.  

92Merc

I bought an Autel TS408 tool.  Along with some knock off sensors.  My rear sensor is on the fritz.  I'm leaving it for spring.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VZFHJ6H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sensors:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GNCGHS7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was able to wake up these sensors with the tool.  Some programmers can re-program a new TPMS to have the same codes as the old.  This TPMS tool couldn't do that with these sensors.  But it did wake both these knock off units up, and the stock units.  Since I have a GS911, I should be able to easily reprogram them.

I bought the TS tool because I have other vehicles with TPMS in them as well.  So I figured I might as well get a tool to do them all.

LAF

If the bike does not see the TPM letting the air out has no effect, the bike dont know they are there.  So that does not work at all or did not work for me and I let a lot of air out of them before I was told by a tire guy I was being a bit stupid. 

I went to NTB Tire as that is my tire shop.  He held a tool to each sensor and it read the number.  I took a pic with my cell phone went home to the GS-911 and programed the numbers in and bang all was fine.

Those 35 dollar sensors look great for sure though!  Thanks for that link!

Corazon de Pollo

Personal curiosity: has anyone tried taking the Wethead OE sensor apart to see what brand is the battery? Thanks!

strataj
26 minutes ago, Corazon de Pollo said:

Personal curiosity: has anyone tried taking the Wethead OE sensor apart to see what brand is the battery? Thanks!

Yes they are CR2050HR a CR2032 will work but it's difficult if not impossible to solder to the battery.   A CR2032 is also thinner so it won't last as long. 

92Merc
3 hours ago, Corazon de Pollo said:

Corazon de Pollo

Thanks people, but I am interested in the brand, meaning who makes them. ;)

It's usually stamped on the positive side of CR2032, CR2016 etc batteries.

My curiosity stems from the fact over the years I've noticed in this kind of batteries Panasonic are by far the longest lasting, with Varta coming a distant second. The rest is more or less junk, from cheap Chinese batteries to Duracell.

On average I'd say a Panasonic CR2032 lasts 5 fives as much as a bottom line one and a Varta 2-3 times, and both brands seem to be far more consistent when it comes to charge. Many Chinese knockoffs are terribly inconsistent: you may get a two long-lasting ones and four duds in the same blister. It would explain why these Chinese TPMS are all over the place when it comes to lifespan.

Rockosmith

Is there a source for the Panasonic CR2050HR batteries?

Rockosmith

Thanks!  My searching skills clearly need polishing.

RecentConvert

Some help needed!

Is there a way to test the TPMS after a battery change but before installing the sensors and re-installing the tires?  I will have a GS911 next week.

My experience was somewhat different than the youtube videos of the battery change.  1.  the potting material was soft and rubberlike.  Very easy to remove.  2.  The CR2050 battery was a different shape than the replacement purchased.  See the pic.

I opened the hole with an exacto knife to accept the CR2050 battery (right), then attached the leads with conductive epoxy.   I would really like to test this before reassembly!

It hot melt glue the sealant of choice?

Terry

IMG_4935.jpg

strataj
2 minutes ago, RecentConvert said:

Some help needed!

Is there a way to test the TPMS after a battery change but before installing the sensors and re-installing the tires?  I will have a GS911 next week.

My experience was somewhat different than the youtube videos of the battery change.  1.  the potting material was soft and rubberlike.  Very easy to remove.  2.  The CR2050 battery was a different shape than the replacement purchased.  See the pic.

I opened the hole with an exacto knife to accept the CR2050 battery (right), then attached the leads with conductive epoxy.   I would really like to test this before reassembly!

It hot melt glue the sealant of choice?

Terry

Yes, you can test them but without any PSI it will display 0.  You will need a wake up tool. 

Hot glue works fine to seal the battery. 

Cap
49 minutes ago, RecentConvert said:

IMG_4935.jpg

Which is the original?  The one of the left?

As an aside, I think I would try to solder the tab to the outer side.  If you rough up the battery surface, and apply some flux, you can put a bead of solder on the battery.  And then, you can tack the tab to the solder bead.  Covering with hot glue should keep it from vibrating apart.  Easy enough to disconnect it if you ever need to replace it again.

Cap

realshelby

You can buy replacement batteries with the leads already soldered onto them. 

• Like 1

RecentConvert

Just back from a ride after replacing the batteries in the TPMS.  The rear sensor registered within the first 1/4 mile and the front sensor started at about 3/4 mile.  I took a victory lap:clap:

I used the batteries without the tabs.  I broke the tabs away from the old batteries and then used electrically Conductive silver epoxy to secure the tabs to the new batteries.    FYI, the conductive epoxy works but is not strong like regular epoxy.  Follow the directions and clamp the battery to the tab and then 20 minutes in a 150 degree oven to cure.   Still isn't terribly strong but is a solid connection.

What isn't encouraging is the hot glue.  I noticed an issue with the first attempt and had to remove the glue and battery.  The hot glue is quite easy to remove and comes out in a single piece.  Some real potting compound or low strength epoxy would be better.

Anyhow,  it is done and isn't a lot of work for $600 savings..........

• Like 2