IGNORED

replaced TPM sensors

Roadking1

The tire pressure monitor sensor batteries died on my 2014 R1200RT so I opted for the $35 TPM sensors on Amazon from Nana-Auto instead of the $200 ones from BMW. I was not interested in trying to dig out the old batteries and replacing them. They were OEM but did not have serial numbers so I could not program them with the GS911, had to have the friendly San Jose CA dealer program them for me. Nice to not look at the warning sign all the time and have the peace of mind my tires weren't flat anymore.

Amazon.com: NANA-AUTO Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor,TPMS Sensor for BMW C600 C650 F800 K1300 K1600.webarchive

5 hours ago, Roadking1 said:

The tire pressure monitor sensor batteries died on my 2014 R1200RT so I opted for the $35 TPM sensors on Amazon from Nana-Auto instead of the $200 ones from BMW. I was not interested in trying to dig out the old batteries and replacing them. They were OEM but did not have serial numbers so I could not program them with the GS911, had to have the friendly San Jose CA dealer program them for me. Nice to not look at the warning sign all the time and have the peace of mind my tires weren't flat anymore.

Amazon.com: NANA-AUTO Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor,TPMS Sensor for BMW C600 C650 F800 K1300 K1600.webarchive 9.63 MB · 6 downloads

The Nana-Auto from Amazon are Chinese knock offs.  The rear lasted less a week before it's battery failed too. 

Since the knock offs don't come with serial numbers you'll need to use a wake up tool with the GS911.  https://www.amazon.com/VXDAS-EL-50448-Pressure-Monitor-Activation/dp/B072BK693N/ref=sr_1_3?crid=99BVJ5C0D3QS&keywords=gm+tpms+relearn+tool&qid=1574510478&sprefix=gm+t%2Caps%2C168&sr=8-3 

I have read, but cannot confirm so it may be BS, that you can "wake up" a tire pressure sensor by unscrewing the valve and letting the tire deflate rapidly. 

I have a GS911, but so far have not tried to do anything beyond looking at data from the OEM tpm's. The rear will get replaced with a knock off due to it shutting down in hot weather after tire gets hot. That is even after replacing the battery, which did help it. 

Guess I should have known they weren't OEM given the price and lack of serial number but they were identical in every other way to my eye. They were installed on the bike about a month ago and 1,000 miles, if they fail anytime soon I will update this post. Keeping my fingers crossed. That wakeup tool at $10 looks like a good bet.

21 hours ago, realshelby said:

I have read, but cannot confirm so it may be BS, that you can "wake up" a tire pressure sensor by unscrewing the valve and letting the tire deflate rapidly. 

Morning Terry

I would be curious on this as it usually takes either-- a strong magnet around the valve stem (won't work with the  'valve-mounted-on-the-wheel-spoke' rims), or takes spinning the wheel at 15-20 mph, or takes a wake-up tool, or takes programming the serial numbers.

It would be easy enough to find out as letting the air out without moving the motorcycle would trigger a dash alert with motorcycle sitting still (motorcycle not previously moved for a while).  If the dash low-air warning doesn't come on then it didn't wake the TPMS sensor.  

I bought an Autel TS408 tool.  Along with some knock off sensors.  My rear sensor is on the fritz.  I'm leaving it for spring.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VZFHJ6H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sensors:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GNCGHS7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was able to wake up these sensors with the tool.  Some programmers can re-program a new TPMS to have the same codes as the old.  This TPMS tool couldn't do that with these sensors.  But it did wake both these knock off units up, and the stock units.  Since I have a GS911, I should be able to easily reprogram them.

I bought the TS tool because I have other vehicles with TPMS in them as well.  So I figured I might as well get a tool to do them all.

If the bike does not see the TPM letting the air out has no effect, the bike dont know they are there.  So that does not work at all or did not work for me and I let a lot of air out of them before I was told by a tire guy I was being a bit stupid. 

I went to NTB Tire as that is my tire shop.  He held a tool to each sensor and it read the number.  I took a pic with my cell phone went home to the GS-911 and programed the numbers in and bang all was fine.

Those 35 dollar sensors look great for sure though!  Thanks for that link!

26 minutes ago, Corazon de Pollo said:

Personal curiosity: has anyone tried taking the Wethead OE sensor apart to see what brand is the battery? Thanks!

Yes they are CR2050HR a CR2032 will work but it's difficult if not impossible to solder to the battery.   A CR2032 is also thinner so it won't last as long. 

Corazon de Pollo

Thanks people, but I am interested in the brand, meaning who makes them. ;)

It's usually stamped on the positive side of CR2032, CR2016 etc batteries.

My curiosity stems from the fact over the years I've noticed in this kind of batteries Panasonic are by far the longest lasting, with Varta coming a distant second. The rest is more or less junk, from cheap Chinese batteries to Duracell.

On average I'd say a Panasonic CR2032 lasts 5 fives as much as a bottom line one and a Varta 2-3 times, and both brands seem to be far more consistent when it comes to charge. Many Chinese knockoffs are terribly inconsistent: you may get a two long-lasting ones and four duds in the same blister. It would explain why these Chinese TPMS are all over the place when it comes to lifespan.

RecentConvert

Some help needed!

Is there a way to test the TPMS after a battery change but before installing the sensors and re-installing the tires?  I will have a GS911 next week.

My experience was somewhat different than the youtube videos of the battery change.  1.  the potting material was soft and rubberlike.  Very easy to remove.  2.  The CR2050 battery was a different shape than the replacement purchased.  See the pic.

I opened the hole with an exacto knife to accept the CR2050 battery (right), then attached the leads with conductive epoxy.   I would really like to test this before reassembly!

It hot melt glue the sealant of choice?

Terry

IMG_4935.jpg

2 minutes ago, RecentConvert said:

Some help needed!

Is there a way to test the TPMS after a battery change but before installing the sensors and re-installing the tires?  I will have a GS911 next week.

My experience was somewhat different than the youtube videos of the battery change.  1.  the potting material was soft and rubberlike.  Very easy to remove.  2.  The CR2050 battery was a different shape than the replacement purchased.  See the pic.

I opened the hole with an exacto knife to accept the CR2050 battery (right), then attached the leads with conductive epoxy.   I would really like to test this before reassembly!

It hot melt glue the sealant of choice?

Terry

Yes, you can test them but without any PSI it will display 0.  You will need a wake up tool. 

Hot glue works fine to seal the battery. 

49 minutes ago, RecentConvert said:

IMG_4935.jpg

Which is the original?  The one of the left?

As an aside, I think I would try to solder the tab to the outer side.  If you rough up the battery surface, and apply some flux, you can put a bead of solder on the battery.  And then, you can tack the tab to the solder bead.  Covering with hot glue should keep it from vibrating apart.  Easy enough to disconnect it if you ever need to replace it again.

Cap

RecentConvert

Just back from a ride after replacing the batteries in the TPMS.  The rear sensor registered within the first 1/4 mile and the front sensor started at about 3/4 mile.  I took a victory lap:clap:

I used the batteries without the tabs.  I broke the tabs away from the old batteries and then used electrically Conductive silver epoxy to secure the tabs to the new batteries.    FYI, the conductive epoxy works but is not strong like regular epoxy.  Follow the directions and clamp the battery to the tab and then 20 minutes in a 150 degree oven to cure.   Still isn't terribly strong but is a solid connection.

What isn't encouraging is the hot glue.  I noticed an issue with the first attempt and had to remove the glue and battery.  The hot glue is quite easy to remove and comes out in a single piece.  Some real potting compound or low strength epoxy would be better.

Anyhow,  it is done and isn't a lot of work for $600 savings..........

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
RecentConvert

I meant to update this post shortly after I claimed success, but apparently didn't.

FWIW, the batteries I removed from the sensors measured 3.02 Volts and 3.04 volts.  The new batteries (CR2050) measured 3.3 volts and 3.3 volts.  Apparently, the batteries need to be quite good since the old batteries still met their advertized voltage.

The OEM batteries were Maxell brand.   Fortunately I bought 3 new batteries and put the two best ones in.  The third new battery only measured 3.07 volts.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
RecentConvert

Another update.  

The front wheel sensor faulted yesterday.    Will see if it comes back to life .

I won't pay the US price from BWM, so am shopping for the Schrader 4141M sensor from Europe.   Hopefully they will be willing to ship it to the US.  

Convert,

Toward the start of this thread you said the BMW parts would be $200.00.  Then on Dec 4 you say you saved $600?  That just doesn't add up for me.  Just quickly running down through the posts it looks like you've spent quite of bit on batteries, testers, glue, wake up tools, your time.  Your last post now says it's all gone gunny bag and you're shopping for European sensors.  What's the price for those puppies?  Given the whole experience, it appears you'd have been better off in time and $ just getting OEM parts.

RecentConvert

Red.

I checked with the dealer (an hour ride each way).  The next closest dealer that I like better is 1.75 hours away.

Sensors   (2)   $466

Tire mount etc $120

Min hookup       $56

1/2 hour labor   $55

TAX 6%               $42

Total                  $738

The sensors are  US $101 each from Germany.

The sensors replacement is robbery, they should wear masks!  

Thanks for the detailed breakdown of costs going the BMW shop route.  The shop route is the route I'd have gone and I'd be plenty pissed about it of course.  You're pretty handy with tools it's apparent.  I'm thinkin' that you could have bought the BMW sensors and installed them yourself for not much more than what you'll have in to the project.  I'm speculating your one of those guys who just enjoys finding a work-around even if it costs a few bucks more.  The thrill is in the search for a better outcome for less $, whether it works out that way or not.  When you get this project sorted out y'otta write it up and put it in the section on this board that has such things.  Enjoy the journey!

8 hours ago, Red said:

When you get this project sorted out y'otta write it up and put it in the section on this board that has such things.  Enjoy the journey!

Boxflyer has already done that, and posted this video on Youtube that shows how to replace the TPMS and register it with the bike.  You will need a new TPMS sensor that can be purchased on Amazon (I got 2 for $40), or you might need to replace the battery in an old sensor for which instructions are posted earlier in this thread.  You will need a wakeup tool ($15 on Amazon), and maybe a new bolt to attach the sensor to the rim (called a "pin" by BMW).  This process requires using a GS911 tool.

So, even if you need to pay somebody to remove a tire from your rim, or pay a dealer to register the replaced TPMS with your bike if you don't have access to a GS911, the total cost of this DIY project can be minimal.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2020 at 4:46 PM, RecentConvert said:

I bought two sensors for $20 each on Amazon.  I got them in about 4 weeks.  They were professionally packaged, and look new.  I tested them with a wake-up tool, and recorded their unique ID numbers.  They seem to work as advertised.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081XBPFGL

Cap

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I replaced the batteries in both sensors 2 years ago and they began working within 1 mile of riding.  I replaced them with Chinese knockoffs from Amazon last month and they began working after about 5 miles of riding.  I'll need to wait a couple of months to see if they continue to work; a bit too much snow and ice to ride now.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
On 4/21/2022 at 10:21 AM, Zvonko Skalko said:

Is it worth buy BMW tire pressure sensors or the aftermarket?

Putting aside the sensors available from China for the moment here is an example of the extent to which BMW NA parts pricing is a total ripoff.

Schrader was the OEM tire pressure manufacturer for BMW up until 2022. Schrader makes a replacement tire pressure sensor for those sensors. Here are the options and pricing for the Schrader replacement sensors - all the exact same identical part physically.

BMW 36 31 9 832 032                         US$220 (US$113 in the UK)
KTM 61412033000                              US$73 - 80
Schrader 3141M or 3142M                US$70 (must be imported into the US)
Schrader 33900                                    US$40 (must be programmed or cloned using a TPMS tool)

The Schrader 3141M/3142M is not distributed in the US but is easily available in the EU - sound fishy?

Not all tire pressure sensor tools can clone or program the protocol used in BMW motorcycles but it can be done.

These sensors require a "service kit" for mounting which varies depending on wheel style.

• Like 1
On 1/3/2020 at 5:46 PM, RecentConvert said:

Red.

I checked with the dealer (an hour ride each way).  The next closest dealer that I like better is 1.75 hours away.

Sensors   (2)   $466

Tire mount etc $120

Min hookup       $56

1/2 hour labor   $55

TAX 6%               $42

Total                  $738

The sensors replacement is robbery, they should wear masks!  

For those of us who are not purists, there are much cheaper solutions. A quick internet search will turn up hundreds of after market solutions. :5147:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/404055470950?hash=item5e13953366:g:J4IAAOSwTSljm0~~&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAABAGNwwFkReAizZ%2BP7IvNaXyE8PKC8D6b6vlt4gj3oc%2FKFRE%2BSJlwMbj5IoNzkdVtEdac56RQOIurEWapXw%2FHfn3bCxnMJDG5IHjCKR6cZBKvsarz%2B1KA4LmAXswvMXVYA79CBXNjSKt9oMQkAqUoe2XWiO9dC7QXa5%2BVlnZFAdYgzfjqQnN6QlUtiUpNh2dyKl%2BjTVwTMlcu6iy57G7MR0O5Fe79jQsBKECM1W%2BBPjjYX4YrkrXCOR8H%2FSHx%2Ba%2BR1RGgRz4s%2BTsUWPldVxBetn6uRx9c2W%2FyRUV%2BZUeGJACpMSpKZiP7weVTajRKQMVw6rIGuc8sflAze4KiEB5mUdk4%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR9y2w_bcYQ

Dr. Montano

Hello all:

Hope my input on this can be of use to others.

I have no problem with German, US, Chinese or other nationalities on parts. In my experience there have been perfectly good parts for my motorcycle from China. For example, the original rear break rotor cost me literally 10 times less than the OEM but has been with me 70K KM. Metal quality and manufacturing are evident. The original one lasted 10K KM, but I did let the pads wear down and damaged it. I very much doubt this will last any less than the OEM part.

Original pressure sensors inside tires out of the dealer when I bought the motorcycle new lasted very little. They were the first part to fail. A little over a year.

I bought the cheap chinese knockoffs as they are described from AliExpress  (US$25 with delivery at the time) but could not get them to work. Then bought a cheap wakeup tool on Amazon (EL-50448) then the MotoScan APP for Android and an OBDLink LX and OBD adapter for BMW motorcycles. The APP on the phone recognizes the new sensor and sets it on the motorcycle. (You don't have to type in any number.) Altogether it ended up costing almost the same as the original pair of sensors were going for here. Now I change the pressure sensor on occasion when I change a tire. It is not too much extra. I've ordered spare chinese sensors. Just in case the batteries or whatever fail.

Changing the batteries seems very complicated.

Here is my experience on the matter. Hope it is of use.

The MotoScan App and OBDLink make it easy to check all fault codes, delete them and generally check on the bike or reset maintenance indicators. It seems essential for me,  for example when out in the sierra very far from anything. A Haynes manual is also something I consider essential.

Happy and safe riding.