IGNORED

Heated Gear Opinions

Pappy35

What's the hive mind's consensus regarding heated jackets? I like the look of the Aerostich Kanetsu Windstoppers but there's not much out there regarding user reviews. Warm and Safe? Ideally I'd like something that can also be worn on it's own. I need it for commuting duty and need it to work stand alone so I don't have to pack and carry a separate jacket.

What about a heated vest??  Use your regular jacket(s), much smaller- less room in the side cases, less money, etc, etc.  It puts the heat closer to you as opposed to the outside where it is lost.  With an RT you have good wind and weather protection, guessing you have heated grips, too.  I've been very comfy with my Tourmaster Synergy 2.0 vest and controls on bikes with much less protection riding all over north GA in very cold conditions.

1 hour ago, Pappy35 said:

What's the hive mind's consensus regarding heated jackets? I like the look of the Aerostich Kanetsu Windstoppers but there's not much out there regarding user reviews. Warm and Safe? Ideally I'd like something that can also be worn on it's own. I need it for commuting duty and need it to work stand alone so I don't have to pack and carry a separate jacket.

Afternoon Pappy35

This is going to be difficult to answer as what I use you might not like. 

I'm old school so still use  Gerbings (heated vest, heated jacket liner, heated gloves, heated insoles)

But, I have the old original Gerbings (before they went offshore & quality concerns).

A number of my friends use the Warm & Safe products with some happy & others complain a bit. 

I use a heated vest down to the low 30° range & that works great for working good with light easy packing when the day warms up  but to me it is just not enough when it gets into the 0°f - 25°f  range so I then switch to a Gerbings heated jacket liner (that helps with warming my arms but also the heated liner runs 12v power down the sleeves that plug into my heated gloves. The beauty of using heated liners is you can take them off & store as the day warms up. 

I don't use heated pants liners (my legs don't seem to get cold), but if riding long distance in sub-freezing high moisture weather I sometimes also use heated boot insoles (with no heated pants liners I need to run power wires down inside my riding pants to the heated insoles).

Heated clothing is a very personal thing as what works for me might not be an issue for you. I don't use heated hand grips in the cold weather as my palms don't get cold but the backs on my hands do so I need heated gloves (you might want heated grips but no heated gloves).  

I really like heated gloves myself  but a number of my riding friends prefer heated glove liners to heated gloves. (most have the Warm & Safe).

If you go on the recommendation from others it might not work the same for you (but you have to start somewhere).

You also need to compare the riding conditions to others as cold riding to one rider might mean 40°f & cold riding to me is down well below sub 0°f. 

If you only need to go into the 40's then you don't want too bulky to use, difficult to store, complicated heated gear. If you want to ride long distances at 10°f then you will definitely need up level heated gear & more than likely something that you have evolved into by trial & error.

When I started riding there was no heated gear  & even if there was the motorcycles back then didn't have enough charging system to power it.

Once you get your heated gear defined (might take a few trials to get it right FOR YOU) then you will have to address the helmet fogging issue in real cold weather as well a trying to ride loose, free, & smooth  with enough heated gear on to rival a space suit. When I get all my real (sub zero) cold weather gear on I walk like space man & can barely get my leg over the seat to get on the darn bike, & forget about turning my head around far enough to look behind me.  But I do ride all weather as long as no glare  ice on the roads (light snow on the roads is OK but I draw the line at ice, but that isn't given as I have ridden to work with just light snow & had to ride home on icy roads).  

Added: you have to be very precise in how a heated jacket, heated coat, heated jacket liner fit your body shape. If too loose then you won't get enough heat transfer, or will get a cold air layer between your body & the garment-heat rendering it ineffective.  

On the other side, if what you get it too tight (even slightly snug in one place then you can have hot spots where the heated gear is tight on your body).  

I've got down to 7* with no heated gear, just layered properly.

But I did have a Gerbings old style that finally wore out, did the trade in for a Warm and Safe.  I also have the Gerbings gloves.  My commute is 1hr one way.  The Warm and Safe is thin enough to wear under any jacket and I wear it under the Aerostich full suit and also a Tourmaster jacket.  I generally don't use it until it's below 40*.

I use no additional warming for legs and feet.

The only thing I don't like about my gloves is it seems to heat the palm side moreso than the back side.

17 minutes ago, Living the Dream said:

The only thing I don't like about my gloves is it seems to heat the palm side moreso than the back side.

I was thinking the same thing the other day (25 F) and it occurred to me as to why:  the pressure you use, holding the grips, causes more contact with the palms than the back of the hands, which puts them closer to the heating elements. 

I have Gerbing gloves as well.  They are really beneficial when I am on my C, which does not have the weather protection like my RT.  I rarely plug them in while on the RT.  The R1200C is 2000 model and by the time the grips get fully heated, I am at work 15 minutes later.  Technology has progressed for grips on the '19 model as they get extremely hot within a few minutes.  So I got that going for me, which is nice.

I have a Warm n Safe heated shirt and l like it. I do wish there were heating elements on the lower arms and abdomen but it works for me. I’m fair weather rider here in the San Jose CA area. So I don’t ride much in the 30’s, but I have in the Sierras and the heated shirt worked well enough.  I wear it over a T shirt then add thin layers, depending on anticipated temps. Then I peel off layers as needed. 

what I really like is the remote controller that infinitely adjusts the heat level. I have mine mounted on top of my clutch reservoir so I can easily adjust the heat level using the twist knob with my thumb. I don’t know of any other heated gear with that level of adjustability. The heat levels change quickly as well, up and down.  I have the pigtail connected directly to the battery with a 3’ extension so I can stand up on my pegs when I need to stretch my legs. 

Hope that helps some. 

All good stuff. Thanks for the feedback. I do use the heated grips and they seem to do very well. My legs and feet do OK too. My commute is 30 minutes each way and I have no plan to do any long rides in cold weather. The lowest I see myself going is down into the low 30's. It's all about not wearing my truck out prematurely, I'm not trying to imitate a polar bear. Haha.

I thought about a vest but I need something with arms to wear when/if we go out to lunch and my arms and torso do tend to get cold. I have an insert for my shield that so far seems to work great.

I'm kind of surprised that Aerostich doesn't get much love for their heated gear (especially with the BMW crowd).

I prefer the jacket liner to the vest, as my cold weather riding is often in the teens, keeping my arms warm makes a difference, especially when riding the old Harley with apehangers, my main winter bike. I have an old school Gerbing jacket, still works great. A friend of mine got a Mobile Warming jacket, it comes with an auxiliary battery so it can be used off the bike, as well as plugs in to the bike or car to save the aux battery. It's thicker than my Gerbing, a true jacket as opposed to a liner, so a bigger outer jacket may be necessary, but he wears it often without a layer on top, says it's plenty warm.

I talked with the owner of California Heat and looked at their products, he used to work for Gerbing, makes gear that pretty much looks like the old Gerbing, it will be on my short list when looking again.

Not sure if this helps, just passing on what little I know from over 30 years of cold weather riding.

If you want to try out this stuff with a smaller upfront cost, I've got an Aerostich heated fleece jacket that is a bit too big for me. It's in great shape, and if it would fit you I'd make you a good deal on it. 

I'm in the camp with the heated jacket liner.  I tried a vest and my arms were too cold.  Last year I bought a Hotwired jacket for myself and my wife and Hotwired gloves for her.  The controller is built into the jacket where it's handy to get to and simple to use.  It hangs down on a tab that extends below my outer jacket and has a button to press to access one of the three heat settings.  I'm good down to just below 40 degrees on low, and into the low 30's on medium.  If I want to cook something in my jacket, I might want to try high.  The jackets are well made and plug into the gloves with  connectors that are located at the cuffs.  The gloves each have their own button controller located on the back of them.  These are sold by Cycle Gear and Revzilla along with Hotwired pants and inner soles for your feet.  By the way, not all heated jackets heat the sleeves...but the Hotwired heat the front and back of the body, the sleeves and the collar as well.  

I did a bunch of research 2 years ago when my Gerbings liner needed replacing. The new Gerbings didn't fit as well as the old especially around the neck, way too loose. I ended up with the Warm & Safe. They do have a version of the jacket linet that is waterproof so can be worn by itself in almost any weather. 

Years ago, I started out with a Widder vest and liked it a lot.  About the time they got out of the business, I was interested in keeping more than just my core warm, and when Gerbings came out with the instant heat model, I got that and liked it even more than the vest.  Even down into the 30s, I never had to have it on more than 2/3 power.  The jacket also doubled as a nice after-ride jacket when it was cold outside.

The Gerbings is not thin though, and after my jacket and Gerbings liner combination kept getting tighter (likely caused by ongoing jacket shrinkage), I started to look for a thin heated liner that would work as well as the Gerbings and be more comfortable.  I found that in the Venture Heat jacket, which had a display at Americade.  It is as thin as a nylon jacket, heats the core and the arms, heats up very fast, and also has a wireless connection to a handlebar controller, along with the tab at the bottom of the jacket.  It has high, medium and low settings, but I've never had to use the high.  Love the jacket and it also connects to gloves, socks, etc.  I did not look at Warm & Safe, although I believe many others are big fans of that brand.  

Good luck with your search.

• Like 1
RecentConvert

I like the Warm and Safe heated shirt.  It fits close and I wear it as a base layer and it does a great job of keeping both core and arms warm.  The controller is mounted on top of the brake reservoir.  It draws a max of 45 watts.  

My wife has the First Gear heated jacket liner (made by Warm and Safe) and uses it a lot since she runs cold.  It has cold spots on the arms and needs to fit snug.  It draws a max of 90 watts.

I've wired both directly to the battery with pigtails hidden under the seat until needed.  We ride two up and both plugged in when below 40 degrees.

In a pinch before I had my heated shirt, I used her jacket liner a couple of times.   I prefer the heated shirt.

Both require a good windproof overjacket

I have a Klim Latitude that so far has proven to be great. I can ride down to 44F with nothing on under it beyond a polo and long sleeve light sweater (and pants and other clothing of course :grin:). Looks like Warm and Safe is gonna be it based on the feedback here.

I still have my Gerbings jacket and only use it below 40 degrees.  The problem is I find the tires respond so much less effectively I really have to "NEED" a ride for me to go out when the temps are lower.  But as I do remember, last year my Gerbings had shrunk just like RandyShields said above.  The odd thing is I did not wash it.  Strange...

• Haha 1

I too find that, for completely mysterious reasons, my clothing, all of it, not just my riding gear, keeps shrinking as time goes on. I propose that at the next rally a special commission be convened to look into this! Clearly, there's some kind of conspiracy in the works in the motorcycle apparel industry and we MUST get to the bottom of it before it's too late!!!

• Like 2

I just ordered a couple of the Warm and Safe Jacket liners (a 65 watt and 90 watt in two sizes) and a dual remote. On those remotes, how long do the batteries last? Says 2AAA which, depending on how it works could last a very long time but they don't really say on their site. Just wondering if I need to keep replacements on the bike.

I will install some kind of jack to plug into. How long is the jacket input cord? I figure I'll install something near where the accy port is on the left side mid-fairing but the site isn't clear on how long the built in cord is. It looks like a regular co-axial. Can you just buy one at Best Buy (or wherever)? I suppose I could just fabricate one if needed.

Finally, are these controllers interchangeable between liner manufacturers? I like the controller design and would plan to keep it even if the jackets didn't work out for some reason. Seems like they all use the same size coax input.

It's been a while, but here's my experience:  I ordered and returned an aerostich electric jacket.  The fit wasn't right (my gut isn't that big).  I had their vest for a while.  It was okay, but my commute was kinda long, and cold arms annoyed me.  I could see the vest being useful for more pleasant weather on a long trip, as it packs smaller.  I ended up with the Gerbings.  It does the job, but it only has insulation near the heating pads.  Aside from those areas, its not much more than a windbreaker.  I wish it was better insulated.  They may have a version like that now.

I think most of the electric stuff have lifetime warranties.  I've replaced the Gerbings for free a couple times on the warranty.  It's nice to have that, but it's also a drag when your sleeve quits in January, and it takes a few weeks to get a replacement.

My advice would be try on a few flavors.  Find one that fits well - not too snug, but you don't want it baggy.  I usually wore a fleece sweater under it.  Pick one that's insulated all the way around.  Oh, and get the controller.  The simple on/off switch is a drag.  You're either too hot or too cold, and I always ended up muggy or clammy - never really comfortable.  Then you end up fiddling with the switch all the time.

• Like 1

I'm probably posting a lot of what has already been stated but here goes .... for the REAL cold rides (temps in 20's and 30's)  for me there is nothing warmer than my Gerbings microwire jacket liner.  It is the last of the Made in the USA stuff before they sold and went off shore.   The jacket is like a furnace and a slight bit bulky.   For spring and summer rides I wanted something that packed up smaller to tale along so I also have a Gerbings Microwire vest.  It is great for the cold summer rainy days when you just need a bit of heat and it packs up nice and small.  For both my Gerbings I never use a controller as for me when I need heat I need HEAT and if it gets too warm I simply unplug.  I just don't like fussing with a controller and one more thing to worry about mounting and such.  But I also have a Venture Heat liner as it is a full liner that packs up as small if not smaller than my Gerbings Vest so nice to carry when I "might" need it.   But for me the Venture is just not the furnace my Gerbings liner is.  The Venture is a fine liner and for me is good down to about 45 degrees or so.  It does have a built in controller which seems to work fine.   But if I had to buy only ONE it would be a Gerbings micorwire.   Just not sure about the current Gerbings stuff being sold.  I am just happy I still have my USA Made Gerbings.   But as always YMMV 

• Like 1

Haven't received the liner yet but I can say that I ordered the gear Friday evening (so probably just before COB PDT) and it's out for delivery today. Oregon to Memphis in two days with free shipping. I already like doing business with them. Good first impression!

I purchased a Gerbings LT jacket , Gerbings G3 gloves and a Gerbings dual control thermostat in 2012 and am very happy with it . The first dual thermostat lasted five years, and the jacket was repaired ( connectors for gloves were replaced ,under warranty ) I'm happy with the product and the service by the company. Gerbings was bought out by Gyde Supply Co. several years ago but will honor the Gerbings warranty. I live in PA and ride year round weather permitting so the jacket and gloves get used frequently :) .

First commute today and all I can say is, and I know this is old news to most of you, heated gear is a total game-changer! Been riding for 38 years and I cannot understand why I endured all those near-frostbitten trips all this time. OMG! 

So far I'm extremely happy with Warm & Safe. Got is next business day with free shipping. The liner does wear just like my Columbia windbreaker except that the sleeves are proportioned for a primate but I think I can just have them trimmed down by a tailor after I fully vett it.

• Like 1

When you order a gordon's liner you are asked arm length, chest size etc.. Thus you get one that fits. You have found the wonder of heated jacket liners.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Beech said:

When you order a gordon's liner you are asked arm length, chest size etc.. Thus you get one that fits. You have found the wonder of heated jacket liners.

I saw that and was sorely tempted. I may buy one at another time but theirs would have been about $100 more (the red one I got was on sale for $249 and the Gordon's is $349 plus about $20 for shipping). I didn't like their controller but I suspect the W&S would drive it too. I wanted to get into something with as little up front cost as I could but now that I see the benefit, cost is less important.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Pappy35 said:

except that the sleeves are proportioned for a primate but I think I can just have them trimmed down by a tailor after I fully vett it.

Yep, but if'n I think about it, when arms are down, sleeves are long, but when arms are in riding positions, up a bit and elbows bent, the sleeves don't ride up at all.

'tis a good liner, I'm on my second season with it.

Yeah but in my case the sleeves are at least 6-7 inches too long. At my sides they go all the way to the tip of my middle finger! Haha

41F this morning and I was...

...wait for it...

.........Warm and Safe! Haha

• Like 1

Hi Pappy35,

I think I’ve had my Warm n Safe shirt for 2 years. Still on the same batteries in the remote. There is a power saving function in the remote which helps. I do not carry any spare batteries, figuring I can pick up some anywhere. I presume how often you adjust the heat will affect battery life. 

I ended up buying the WnS extension (3’) so I could stand on my pegs easily and not have the connection pull apart while riding. It was maybe $15. It also makes it easy to connect before I mount. I have my pigtail come up between the front of the seat and back of the tank. 

I’m glad things are working out so well. It is so different having heat pumped into your body versus trying to preserve what you have with a bunch of layers. It’s a great feeling!

Yeah. It's great. I just ordered a jack and 2' extension.

I took it to a tailor today to see about trimming the sleeves. He opened up the inside sleeve liner and it looks like the heating element runs all that way to end so there's not really any way to do shorten it that he was willing to try. Anyone on here ever get there's tailored?

26 minutes ago, Pappy35 said:

Yeah. It's great. I just ordered a jack and 2' extension.

I took it to a tailor today to see about trimming the sleeves. He opened up the inside sleeve liner and it looks like the heating element runs all that way to end so there's not really any way to do shorten it that he was willing to try. Anyone on here ever get there's tailored?

Have you tried contacting Warm and Safe?

You could try HeatedclothingRX, a repair company for heated gear. They did a plug repair on mine, knowledgeable, fair price, and good turnaround time.

I floated the question to WnS but didn't really get a substantive reply. After looking at Rx I initially thought they only do electrical repair but I should at least call them. They must know something about stitchcraft to get in there.

Could someone who has a Warm and Safe controller tell me if the center post is positive or negative? I was installing a jack and like an idiot cut the lines before I noted which was which. Their site doesn't have anything that detailed.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Pappy35 said:

Could someone who has a Warm and Safe controller tell me if the center post is positive or negative? I was installing a jack and like an idiot cut the lines before I noted which was which. Their site doesn't have anything that detailed.

Thanks in advance.

Evening  Pappy35

Center terminal is always positive in coax type power cable connectors.  

Ah. Good. I tried to determine this by googling it but there were enough results showing center-negative configs that I wanted to make sure before I blew up the controller. I didn't see words anywhere stating that it was polarity protected.

I installed the Warn and Safe jack today and was happy to find that it is a drop-in fit into the existing hole where the Powerlet plug is. I installed it there and ran a fused line directly to the battery thus allowing me to have a jack to plug into rather than a dangling plug and a convenient place to plug in my charger. I'm installing a USB port next to it for my phone and will use the supply lines that fed the Powerlet port. I'll post a couple of pics when I'm done.

Finally, following Hosstage's recommendation, I contacted W&S and they are going to try to shave a few inches off each sleeve for me. They weren't too sure how much but regardless, I'd rather have them do it that a tailor who has no idea what's in there.