IGNORED

Lorenzo Retires

chrisolson

He definitely was having issues when 1st time Honda rider Zarco beats him by a fair margin.  His injuries obviously  took their toll not only on his body but his confidence in riding.  I think to compete at the MotoGP  level you have to have a fighter pilot mentality of you can survive anything ... and if you loose that, you're pretty much done.

So that opens a spot at the factory Honda ride ....who will it be ?

59 minutes ago, Veefore said:

'm thinking Zarco.....he just had a tryout.  Or perhaps Alex Marquez......

Those were two names put to Alberto Puch, team manager ... but he declined to comment other than yes, those could be considerations but there are a lot of riders out there.

I'd like to see Zarco get the chance but its a tough call for him because being Marques' team mate will not be easy ... for anyone ...  let alone Zarco who has said although he's done well, there is a way to go both in adapting his style to the Honda and adapting the Honda to him.  Don't know that Honda will risk a factory ride that way again.  It will be interesting.

(edit) . Alex could be a choice only because his brother would be inclined to help him in any way possible ... more so than anyone else coming into the team,  which would work in Honda's favor. 

Much like Stoner on the Ducati, I don't see anyone else riding the Honda like Marquez.  They need a solid rider that can help them develop parts etc., the one rub is the manner Zarco left KTM, is this a factor in their choice? Crutchlow has already muttered about retirement prior to this - does he realistically think he deserves that second seat??

So its official ... Alex Marquez will be replacing Jorge Lorenzo at the factory Repsol Honda team.  Should be interesting .. I think a lot of pressure will be put on Alex to achieve "instant" results with comparisons to Mark ...

How far does Mark help his brother .... probably a lot up until the race when Alex beats him :16:

Alex although a good rider is not Marc and will not beat Marc unless Marc falls. It will be interesting to see who can REALLY challenge Marc in 2020, a 151 point gap to second this year is not really a big challenge. Possibly the Ducati if it can get the corner handling fixed or Yamaha if it can find more power. Tomorrow first 2020 will show something but it will not be clear as to who might challenge until next year.