IGNORED

05 RT Alternator Belt?

Sonor

I replaced mine on the '06 RT at 90k or so.  I wasn't having any issues but I think I was having recall work completed and did a "while you're at it" request.

Well I have 57K on my bike (yeah, i know a baby) but it to my knowledge has not been replaced.  I guess from what i have read it should be done?!..?

33 minutes ago, Sonor said:

Well I have 57K on my bike (yeah, i know a baby) but it to my knowledge has not been replaced.  I guess from what i have read it should be done?!..?

Afternoon Sonor 

Yes, probably a good idea but your belt will probably still look good.

As always, thank you DR -

My guess is that the reason for the change is due to a stretch factor of some kind?  Or maybe breakage from old age?

47 minutes ago, Sonor said:

As always, thank you DR -

My guess is that the reason for the change is due to a stretch factor of some kind?  Or maybe breakage from old age?

Morning  Sonor

I haven't ever seen one of those Elatomer (stretchy) belts break, but have seen them slip (especially when wet).

The elastomer belt on your bike is a stretchy type belt so there is no belt adjustment (alternator & lower crankshaft pulley are fixed with no adjustment) so the new belt needs to be rolled on (stretched on) over the pullies, then once on there is no adjustment possible.

My guess is that your removed belt will look  good to the eye but if you turn it inside out (ribs facing out) then bend the belt back on itself into a tight radius that you will see some cracking in the ribs.

It can be a test of patience the first time you try to roll one of those belts on  but once you figure it out not a big deal (just be VERY CAREFUL of pinching your fingers). Placing the new  belt on a hot asphalt driveway or in the sun prior to installing really helps it go on easier.

You can cut the old belt off (easy way) or loop a piece of thin rope  around the belt then pull like he!! on it while rotating the crankshaft (basically pull the belt forward off the lower pulley with the rope as you rotate the pulley) . 

Of try using a piece of thin plastic to roll in between the belt & lower pulley while working the old belt off the pulley. (again, watch your darn fingers)

Thank you DR - I have watched the youtube vids and think that it is something that I can handle.  Great idea for the warming the belt first - I will try that.

It seems like it "can" be accomplished without taking off any plastic.  Do you recommend that?

4 hours ago, Sonor said:

Thank you DR - I have watched the youtube vids and think that it is something that I can handle.  Great idea for the warming the belt first - I will try that.

It seems like it "can" be accomplished without taking off any plastic.  Do you recommend that?

Afternoon Sonor

Yes, you can do it without removing the plastic but it is easier to see & work if you have the plastics off for another reason. 

You have a 2005 so those can add some extra problems. The 2005 1200RT came with a sound reducing foam filler under the front cover. That foam holds moisture & causes corrosion (sometimes heavy corrosion).

I usually remove that foam  (& suggest that you also remove that foam) then repair any corrosion areas. (BMW dropped that foam filler on the later 1200RT's due to that corrosion issue so no problem with removing it  (you can barely tell the noise difference with it removed).

If you ride in a very dry area,  see no rain or numerios washings, & have no corrosion showing now,  then you can probably leave that foam in place.