IGNORED

Broken footpeg plate on R1100RT

Skip

My side stand on my 00 RT sunk into soft ground this weekend and the bike went over on the left side. It looked OK at first, the mirror came off and that seemed to be about it.

On closer inspection, the little tab on the plate that locks in the left saddlebag was broken off. Does anyone know if the side plate is aluminum or a metal that can be welded? It kind of looks like what my Dad calls "pot metal" - cheap and brittle. Has anyone else broken this tab and had success with a repair?

A new side plate is over $250 and I hate to spend the money... at least until I figure out why the side stand now hits the shift lever, and it takes some foot-fiddling to shift gears both up and down.

Almost exactly the same thing happened to me a while back and we went round and round and round on this forum about the wisdom and effectiveness of such a repair if attempted.

In the end, because my RT is a commuter, I popped for the 250 and was back on my way.

However, I have had a lot of luck replacing other parts...broken gas cap, rear calipers, brake plates, etc at

www.beemerboneyard.com

I've seen those p late there often just not when I needed one.

I'm sure others here will have other suggestions...

My $.02 ...that's a weight bearing point, sooo ...I wouldn't trust a weld on that metal..but that's just me.

Good luck

Cameron

They regularly appear on E-Bay.

Two E-Bay stores that regularly post BMW parts which spring to mind are "Art and Motorcysles" and "DeepSix Auctions".

Hope this helps.

My side stand on my 00 RT sunk into soft ground this weekend and the bike went over on the left side. It looked OK at first, the mirror came off and that seemed to be about it.

On closer inspection, the little tab on the plate that locks in the left saddlebag was broken off. Does anyone know if the side plate is aluminum or a metal that can be welded? It kind of looks like what my Dad calls "pot metal" - cheap and brittle. Has anyone else broken this tab and had success with a repair?

A new side plate is over $250 and I hate to spend the money... at least until I figure out why the side stand now hits the shift lever, and it takes some foot-fiddling to shift gears both up and down.

The side plates are aluminium, and are partly structural, having to carry the weight of the footpaegs and luggage. A good TIG welder should be able to repair the part, but cost of this plus re-finishing may be a high proportion of the cost of a new one. A used part may be the best option all-round.

Andy

Eckhard Grohe

Aluminium...

I broke the left one 3 years ago and had it welded by a fellow at work. You really have to look to see the repair and if you want there is that wheel rim paint you could you use to make it pretty.

I dropped my bike last year and amongst other things my right foot peg plate tore just forward of the rear mounting bolt and I will have it welded.

Archived