IGNORED

Middle Grade Gas for R1150RS?

drharveys

All the literature that came with my 2004 R1150RS says to use premium gas -- 91+ Octane. BUT the sticker by the filler says to use mid-grade -- 89 Octane. Does anyone know which is correct?

Oh yes, "Ask your dealer" won't work. Here in St. Louis we have no dealer at present!

Thanks!

I wish I could get 93 here in California. My 1100 rattles on the oxygenated 91 [so called] gas we have when the weather is warm, which is most of the year. frown.gif

I wish I could get 93 here in California. My 1100 rattles on the oxygenated 91 [so called] gas we have when the weather is warm, which is most of the year. frown.gif

The 1100 boxers tend to detonate when hot on fuels with an RON less than 95. Autolite plugs (3923s) may help.

I believe the two spark engines are cleared for mid grade. It's all I've used for 50K miles. The only time I got a knock was one day in Kansas when it was 103 degrees. I had a tank full of ethanol blend, and I whacked the throttle in sixth gear to pass at about 70. The racket scared the crap out of me, but it subsided as soon as I backed off the throttle.

I run my 00RT with regular and have never had a knock, ping or surge problem. It runs GREAT on plain Regular.

Happy Ridin' thumbsup.gif

Thanks to everyone for the rapid replies. I guess the sticker trumps the literature -- that and the fact that the twin-spark engine has been running fine on mid-grade. So I'll continue and save a whopping dime a gallon!

BTW we've been running 10% ethanol here in the Missouri corn country for years with no problems. I think the rest of you will be happy once the MTFE is out and 10% ethanol is in.

Archived