Sign in to follow this  
Claudio

Experience / Opinions on Crash Bars for the R1250RT

Claudio

A new Alpine White 2019 R1250RT will be waiting for me when the snow melts.   This is an upgrade from my 2003 R1150RT (a big upgrade).

I'd like to get started on a few essentials and wanted anyone's suggestions on a decent set of crash bars (front and rear) for this bike. 

wbw6cos

Congrats on the new Shift Cam.  You will NOT be disappointed.  :bike:

I went with ilium Works for the front and rear guards.  They work; I know.  See the web site for a video of the Drop Test to see how they perform during a driveway drop.

They were fairly easy to install.  They have a helpful video on the site for installing the guards on the 1250 RT, which made it easier for me.

Cheers,

PadG

You should look over this recent thread:

Ltripreno

I just got a 1250 RT myself.  There are different sizes and shapes and colors for engine guards.  I think they probably all do a good job, so it is mainly personal taste.

I thought the guards from Wunderlich were too much for what I wanted.  Iliums look good.  I opted for Z-technik  http://www.nationalcycle.com/engine-guards-zt.html  Similar to Ilium with a bit more protection above and below the cylinder.  And more options (I hope! ) for highway pegs.  I don;t have them yet.  They were backordered.  Not sure if I will go with a guard for the side bags.

Claudio

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. As I am not a knee-dragger, I think I'll go with both front and rear. In 16 years on my 1150RT, never crashed or dropped it but had it topple at a campsite when I loaded the high side bag first and didn't notice the lack of lean (slow motion domino into my wife's bike). Crash bars would have saved some damage. 

I think I've narrowed it down to:

1) Heed (https://heedshop.eu/en_US/p/Front-and-rear-crash-bars-for-BMW-R-1250-RT-silver-/475) [never used this brand before]

2) Wunderlich (http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/20381001-003.html)

3) Illium (http://www.iliumworks.com/BMW_Motorcycle_Accessories.cfm?pn=34-200BL&pID=153)

I like the stealth of the Heed front set but their rear looks like its a bit too much.  Now...which color wrecks the lines least...black or silver?

Warren_H

I thinking about crash bars for my 1250RT - Do any of them require you to move the BMW driving/fog lights?

wbw6cos

Hi Warren_H,

For the ilium Works guards you will also have purchase their brackets to re-mount the OEM auxilliary lights.  I am not aware of other mounting hardware that is available elsewhere.  It seems like the round guards should be able to accept other (universal?) brackets, but I cannot confirm that.  Check their web site to see if the OD is listed for the bars.

Cheers,

PadG

Warren - all of the bars uses the aux. light mounting points for their own mounting.  The Ztechnik and the Wunderlich DO provide alternate mounting position for the aux. lights on their bracket very close to being the same location as the original mount on the bike.

• Like 1

Warren_H

Thanks, I was at the dealer today and they had a 1250RT with the Ilium Works front and read guards installed. I think that is the way I'll go with the highway pegs - after the Holidays.