moshe_levy

Dunlop Roadsmart III vs. Michelin PR4GT - Longevity Test

moshe_levy

Hi All

In its latest ad campaign, Dunlop claims its Sportmax Roadsmart III tires last substantially longer than Michelin's Pilot Road 4GT. I ran them both on my commuting cycle to verify - tune in to find out the results!

-MKL

• Like 3

RandyShields

Outstanding report!  Thank you.

• Like 1

Riderdrumr

Thanks, Moshe!

• Like 1

Rougarou

Excellent comparison within similar confines.  This is probably the most informative comparison of tires that I have seen.

My first set of RSIII's went 9k, back to a set of PR4's, which went 8k on front, 10k on rear, back to RSIII's for 9k on front, rear is still too good at 7k.

I ride the exact same roads near daily, 100 mile round trip half interstate, half back roads.

My concern with the Dunlops is the growl in the turns (minor concern, I know), but adjusting the pressure seems to quiet them down a bit.  But, since the Dunlops are less expensive, it makes better sense for me to go with them.  I've just replaced the front with a Dunlop Sportmax Q3 that I got from shopgoodwill for $42 (couldn't pass that deal up), so I'll see how that rides.  I have the matching rear I got from Amazon, just waiting for the replacement time.

• Like 1

Antimatter

Great report!  The only thing I can add is that with some tires, the Dunlops often have a stiffer sidewall than competing brands.  That has a plus of giving the rider more feedback regarding road conditions.  It also has the drawback of making the Dunlops a bit harder to mount, if you change your own tires.  If you don't, that's no big deal.  

• Like 1

Rougarou
2 minutes ago, Antimatter said:

Great report!  The only thing I can add is that with some tires, the Dunlops often have a stiffer sidewall than competing brands.  That has a plus of giving the rider more feedback regarding road conditions.  It also has the drawback of making the Dunlops a bit harder to mount, if you change your own tires.  If you don't, that's no big deal.  

Heat.  In the summer, I lay my tires on the concrete and let them heat up.  In the winter-winter, either by a heater or a fireplace.  Makes mounting quite easy and both front and rear can be completed in under 30 minutes.

image.png.4e317287b29c13acf5756a4248ec0520.png

• Like 1

Rider1260

OK now do the Pirelli Angel GT II next :) 

Killer review 

• Like 1

moshe_levy
55 minutes ago, Rider1260 said:

OK now do the Pirelli Angel GT II next :) 

Killer review 

Thanks. I already replace my Dunlops with another set, so remind me in about 18,000 miles and we can throw a different brand / model on to see how it holds up.

-MKL

RandyShields

Moshe, you really hit on a hot spot with your tire review.  For 2020, do oil, seats or windscreens and you can blow up the site!

• Like 1

realshelby

This is one of the few tire reviews....that actually have real world information!  I am not a Michelin man simply because I had learned quite a while back exactly what this review shows.

For commuters, tire cost can be a big factor. Especially like me when I was commuting and getting 6-7,000 miles on a rear. 

That is one reason I am running the Bridgestones. Could see NO loss of performance, either wet or dry. Mileage on the T-31 is higher than any other tire I have run. $230 a set! I ran a set of these Roadsmart III's and while the rear wore fairly well ( nothing like the mileage Moshe got ) the front was toast before the rear. That raises costs for me, as I can get two rears of the T-31 while on the first front T-31. 

• Like 1

moshe_levy
2 hours ago, RandyShields said:

Moshe, you really hit on a hot spot with your tire review.  For 2020, do oil, seats or windscreens and you can blow up the site!

Thanks.

I stay away from oil because it's just a minefield of bullshit. I've done seats:

I've done windshields too, but only in print http://mklsportster.com/Articles/bmwmoa-werks.pdf - I suppose I could make a video out of this, since I still have the stock shield lying around.

-MKL

• Like 1

sardineone

Moshe thanks for your great product review!  It matches my own experiences for the most part.  I too was a Michelin guy on the PR series and got the best mileage on the PR3's like you did as well.  Furthermore the handling didn't drop off much with the PR3's either at that higher mileage.  The PR4's were a great disappoint for me as the handling really got unsettling in well under 4k miles.  Then I took the plunge to the Roadsmart III's and have been really pleased so far.  Not only the tires are wearing well, so too the handling feel is going the miles too.  I will replace my Dunlop Roadsmart III's with the same when the time comes.

• Like 1

Red

I only wish a set of PR GT 4's only cost $365.  While on a trip, but not an emergency, I paid $287 front and $224 rear for a set of PR GT 4's.  Additionally there was a $120 to mount and balance at Big Sky Motorsports in Missoula, MT in Aug of 2018.  Either their price has dropped since then or I may be feeling the need to have my hemorrhoids checked.

Edited by Red
I can't stand spelling errors!
  • Like 1

realshelby

I won't be paying that for Michelin tires. Unless it is an emergency, then I will pay it and be on my way. 

Seriously, that is a big part of why I run Bridgestones. I do not think I lose any performance. But at $230 a SET, I can put a new rear tire on for a trip even though the current rear might have a lot of tread. Just not that much loss of money to have the piece of mind of a new tire. 

RPG

Great "real world" review.

I too switched from Michelin to Dunlop's on my RT. Still running them, but a long way's to go before I know if they're better.

• Like 1