IGNORED

Changing Gearing?

Riderdrumr

Hi everyone,

I've just spent my first week with my '15 RT and I am in love with it. I came from a '99 Honda ST1100 which I had for over 7 years.

I bought my RT from a gentleman in VA and I rode it back home in NJ. One of the first things that hit me on that ride was that I felt the gearing was low. At 65mph, I was revving 3700rpm in 6th gear. I wasn't expecting 3k but 3700 seems pretty high. Maybe I'm just getting used to a boxer vs. a V4, BMW vs. Honda, '15 tech vs. '99 tech, I don't know. I was tach-ing 3250 at 65 on the Honda.

I guess what I am specifically asking is if any of you who have this bike experience the same gearing. Also, have any of you felt compelled to change the gearing and have you? I don't pretend to be smarter than an engineer, but just wondering if I should just get used to it or if there are solutions out there. 

Thanks!

I think it's just getting use to a totally different machine, ride it and the Honda muscle memory will fade. ;) Gearing change? Don't think possible but, we'll have to send that up to dirtrider's department. :grin: 

• Like 1

Wait till you spend a couple tanks of gas with the tach at 5000 rpm! 

Yes, these could be  geared a bit different in my opinion. And still have all the power needed in 6th gear. But they don't mind the rpm's. 

Get used to it. It is normal and ok.

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, Riderdrumr said:

Hi everyone,

I've just spent my first week with my '15 RT and I am in love with it. I came from a '99 Honda ST1100 which I had for over 7 years.

I bought my RT from a gentleman in VA and I rode it back home in NJ. One of the first things that hit me on that ride was that I felt the gearing was low. At 65mph, I was revving 3700rpm in 6th gear. I wasn't expecting 3k but 3700 seems pretty high. Maybe I'm just getting used to a boxer vs. a V4, BMW vs. Honda, '15 tech vs. '99 tech, I don't know. I was tach-ing 3250 at 65 on the Honda.

I guess what I am specifically asking is if any of you who have this bike experience the same gearing. Also, have any of you felt compelled to change the gearing and have you? I don't pretend to be smarter than an engineer, but just wondering if I should just get used to it or if there are solutions out there. 

Thanks!

Morning  Riderdrumr

As mentioned above you will get used to it, in a way kind of nice as you have great roll-on power in an emergency situation. 

You might look on the bottom (underneath) your final drive for the final drive ratio, should have something like 31:11  or  33:12 stamped there.

31:11 is 2.82  and 33:12 is 2.75 (not a lot of difference) 

BMW did offer a an optional ratio but not sure what drove the original choice or even if the original buyer had that choice. 

In any  case the final drive  gears are not available separately so it would take new final drive (well over $2500.00 including labor) so that is prohibitive to go that route. No transmission gears are available separately so you get what you have with those. 

• Like 1