IGNORED

coming clean

JamesW

OK, time to fess up.  I like my '10 FJR but I would rather have a wethead and I had my chance.  I bought the FJR in 2016.  I had owned it for one year and while I think it's well built and reliable it doesn't quite fit me.  Problem is the ergonomics which has always been an issue for me on virtually any bike other than BMW.  BMW wrote the book when it comes to ergonomics simple as that.  Riding the FJR is like humping a sperm whale to put it bluntly.  I saw this description on another forum and realized the guy hit the proverbial nail on the head.  

Anyway, in 2017 I saw an add in the MOA flea market for a 2016 R1200RT that had 3500 miles and was equipped with every option in the book complete with a heated Russell in tan leather no less.  I had the seller down to $15.5K.  Oh, seller had bought the bike a year earlier and had bought the extended warranty and had one year left on the original 3 year warranty.  He had just had new Michelins installed and had even had the 6K service performed or maybe it was 3K.  I asked the seller why he would sell this bike and he said he wanted a GSA.  He also said that for him this kind of move wasn't unusual having owned 18 new BMWs in the last 22 years.  Well, like a dummy I let this go by and I've kicked myself ever sense.  Been watching the adds looking for another deal like this and have not found one.  I don't buy new motorcycles as a rule just used bikes with very low miles.  The '10 FJR was virtually new in '16 with only 950 miles and was purchased by the original owner in 2015. It had spent 4 years in the crate. My '93 R1100RSL I bought in 2012 with an honest to god zero (0) miles on the clock as it was part of a collection.  This is just the way I buy motorcycles and I save a bunch even though I pay premium prices for used bikes it's always been well worth the hunt.  But in the case of a wethead I just haven't found the one probably because I'm after another deal like the one I let go by.

Well, that's my story and i'm sticking to it.  Maybe I'll eventually get used to my sperm whale. lol..lol..  To be honest the engine is inspirational but after a long day in the saddle the thrill fades.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

^ Crazy bastage snapped a picture at 150 MPH! :14::4322:

00n0n_FfJiMzAqQW_1200x900.jpg

I noticed that. Rev limiter is fluttering also. May want to skip this one. 

I should also mention that I only buy used bikes and only from a private party never from a dealer and always from an original owner.  

150 MPH with the tach pegged?  I got this bridge, I think it's called the Golden Gate, I'll sell ya cheap.

7 hours ago, JamesW said:

I only buy used bikes and only from a private party never from a dealer and always from an original owner.  

Any specifics on the original owner? Height, weight, hair color? :grin: Kidding ya James, good luck with the search, they're out there. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Any specifics on the original owner? Height, weight, hair color? :grin: Kidding ya James, good luck with the search, they're out there. :thumbsup:

Now that you mention it 5 foot two, eyes of blue, about 120 pounds with the body of a goddess would maybe work.:classic_biggrin:  Yup, they're out there just not easy to find.  I really do kick myself for letting that one (2016) get away.  It sold really quick.  It was an Arizona bike and had spent only a short time in Iowa and had never seen any road salt.  

I went for an 85 mile ride on the FJR yesterday and last night my whole body was tired.  Last week I went for a 120 mile ride on the BMW and after i got back I felt great.  This is not the first time this has happened.  I've tried to make the bike more comfortable but nothing I do seems to work. After a few hours my whole body just aches.  I've gone with a Russell saddle and installed handle bar risers all to no avail. Some of this might be attributed to my age as I'm closer to 80 than I am to 70.  Anyway, the search continues.  Think I might sell the FJR next spring which might not be easy since demand for that model is not at all high nor has it ever really been.  Looks like Yamaha is getting ready to end its production run all together.  I'm not sorry for having bought the bike because I had always been curious about it.  

Yup, I bet that is how that picture was taken, good call.  No way did that bike see those revs for real.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

You are right Prof, this one is at Cross Country in NJ. I saw it many times on Cycle Trader during my hunt. But my heart pined for Mars Red and I found one, a leftover ‘18 in PA.

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who came from a 2011 FJR, I can relate.  Keep watching.  RTW prices are really coming down.  I paid $16k for my loaded 2016 with factory topcase and GPS in 2018.  It had 1,100 miles on it and was still under factory warranty and came with 2 extended 3rd party warranty (still under coverage).  Was checking CycleTrader recently just to see if there are any used R1250s out there and found several 2015-2018 RTWs similar to mine in the $12-16k range.  You haven't missed out.  There are lots of them out there.

On 11/9/2019 at 12:10 PM, JamesW said:

while I think it's well built and reliable it doesn't quite fit me.

That's what got me on my '99RT.  It was down to either ST1100 or the R1100RT. At 5'10.5 it just seemed a long reach to the ST bars, the RT was perfect. The Water Head was felt the same, maybe slightly more of the sit in it rather than on it.  

2 hours ago, Paul De said:

That's what got me on my '99RT.  It was down to either ST1100 or the R1100RT. At 5'10.5 it just seemed a long reach to the ST bars, the RT was perfect. The Water Head was felt the same, maybe slightly more of the sit in it rather than on it.  

Hi Paul,  Same thing happened this week.  Went for a hundred mile ride (all two lane)  on the RS and when got home felt as good as if I did it in my car.  I see the guy with the very low miles '99 R1100RT has lowered the price from 8K to 7K on the MOA Flea Market.  Hmmmmm.....I got to admit I'm interested but again I would have to sell the FJR.  Got to keep the peace on the home front.  Wife thinks I have a sickness.  She could be right. lol..lol..  She thinks it's crazy to own more than two bikes because I only have two feet.

$7K seems a bit high, but maybe with impeccable maintenance history and all the farkles including aftermarket suspension.  I dono last time I looked at the blue book my '99RT was much lower.  

My wife met me when I was all bikes all the time and had dirt, street, and basket case project bikes. She married me anyway and life went on and at one point I was burned out on bikes and was no bikes for a decade. My '99RT was my reentry bike and at that time my wife literally said "I know you, you get one, just one bike.  I promised...but later realized there was a loophole.  I still own one bike, a BMW RT, a '99 and '15 RT Haha - one model of bike!

• Like 2