IGNORED

perscription sunglasses

bgf50

Any suggetstions for perscription sunglasses? I don't want polaraized glasses as I find it difficult to read guages with them. I had a pair from one of the bicycles stores that had inserts and I didn't like them at all.

The best sunglasses I ever had were Maui Jim's. They do make perscription sunglasses but only polarized and they are $440.00!!

Thanks

Bill 2004 r1150rt

I've got some perscription Oakley's.

They are $$$, and Oakley's customer service sucks rocks. But they are nice glasses.

Of course my 'script was stable for 5yrs. Then I bought the Oakleys, and it changed the next visit to the eye doc.

Any suggetstions for perscription sunglasses? I don't want polaraized glasses as I find it difficult to read guages with them. I had a pair from one of the bicycles stores that had inserts and I didn't like them at all.

The best sunglasses I ever had were Maui Jim's. They do make perscription sunglasses but only polarized and they are $440.00!!

Probably any eyeglasses store can do your prescription in tinted lenses. The 2 last pair of prescription sunglasses I bought simply came from a normal glasses place. I just ordered a pair of glasses with sunglass lenses.

Regarding polarized glasses, I find the most annoying thing is that they cause some interesting effects with the polycarbonate faceshield, or the bikes windshield.

Bob.

Polarized from Lenscrafters. Real basic. If you are looking at the guages straight on, you shouldn't have a problem with the polarizing. It's only if your head is tilted. I find they really help with glare. Wouldn't do it any other way. Besides, you get this really cool rainbow-y effect through the shield at times. grin.gif

bgf50,

I have a pair of Wiley X glasses and had optometrist put perscription in them. Love them for the road, design wraps around the face keeps me from tearing up.

Kevin

I've got the Schuberth C2 with the flip down sun visor. Works great. My Bro-in-law is my optometrist and every time I get a new pair he sends my old pair off to be tinted. Inexpensive way to get my full bifocal script into shades. Prescription glasses suck in the wind so I have to wear a full face shield. I have tried Bolle gogles and wrap around sun glasses with the prescription insert-they work

I do like Bernie does ... use a tinted face shield during the day and clear at night. Then I don't have to change glasses when I get off the bike and go inside a building. Ditto on the polarized lenses problem -- I really had a problem with polarized sunglasses ... couldn't even read the display on my watch.

I quit using perscription sunglasses thirty years ago and switched to photochromatic. Yeah, I know, they don't get dark enough. After a couple of weeks, your eyes will adjust and you'll never go back. It's really convenient not having to carry an extra pair of glasses.

Bill Murray
I quit using perscription sunglasses thirty years ago and switched to photochromatic. Yeah, I know, they don't get dark enough. After a couple of weeks, your eyes will adjust and you'll never go back. It's really convenient not having to carry an extra pair of glasses.

A problem I have experienced with my photochromatic glasses is they require a certain frequency of light (UV ?) to cause them to darken. I believe that my Arai faceshields (both my clear shield and my tinted shield) remove enough of the UV to keep my glasses from darkening. As a result, I end having to use sunglasses anyway.

Paul_Burkett

I need reading glasses to see the GPS and guages. I had Ray Ban curved lenses that were photochromatic and bi-focal. They are the worst I have ever used. So I went to Walgreens drug store and got a pair of brown aviators and a clear set, both bifocal, and that does the job quite well for me. $30.00 for the pair. YMMV.

Thanks for all the suggestions. javascript:void(0)

I thought about tinted faceshields but I worry about having an extra one in my luggage somewhere. I'm often traveling with my cases pretty full. Plus I'll be getting a new helmet soon so my current shield may not work for a new helmet.

I have seen the Wiley's and others online but sunglasses are really something I need to try on before buying.

Bill

2004r1150rt

PaulCrinson

Like one of the other guys, I have a helmet with a flip down internal tinted visor. That works great. Mine's a Caberg Justissimo. clap.gif

Paul

I have gone the route of getting a pair of regular prescription glasses tinted. Worked really well. I had no complaints. But the last time I went for a pair of new glasses they showed me something new and improved. They now have magnitic clip ons. They are sold as a matched pair when you buy your glasses. The clip ons fit very closely to the glasses. They fit securly. You would never know they are clip ons.

yankee Dog

Mike_Thompson

I'm the type of rider that like wrap around glasses and have found that simple sunglasses drive me nuts... dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif A couple years ago I invested in a pair of Ray Bans that wrap around. these were also transitional glasses so I didn't need to carry around a second pair. Love, still have em.

Good luck!

I have prescription Bolle's wraparounds I wear for golf and bifocals with the varilux tinting. After a couple of hundred miles I settled on the bifocals with a tinted shield on my full-face helmet. I carry a clear shield, it doesn't take up much room since its so thin, in case I get caught out after dark unexpectedly. The Bolle's just didn't work out for me when used with the clear shield.

For reasonable prices you might try Costco, they are highly recommended by Consumer Reports.

Archived