IGNORED

winter storage

Rube

I am tucking my bike in for it's winter sleep. This BMW (2011 R1200RT) is new to me. All my other bikes usually have the batteries disconnected and hooked up to a trickle charger. I assume BMW has a preferred way of doing this. BMW charger and connection thru the power outlet???

What is the preferred method?

Thx - Rube

2 minutes ago, Rube said:

I am tucking my bike in for it's winter sleep. This BMW (2011 R1200RT) is new to me. All my other bikes usually have the batteries disconnected and hooked up to a trickle charger. I assume BMW has a preferred way of doing this. BMW charger and connection thru the power outlet???

What is the preferred method?

Thx - Rube

Depends on the battery access & how much stays powered with key-off.

On easy to access battery's like on the 1200RT I usually just disconnect the battery (+) cable for  winter storage. That removes power from everything. Sometimes you will need to re-set the service soon indicator after a long term battery disconnect & sometimes not (no real rhyme or reason) 

On your 'trickle charger'-- unless you have a 'smart' battery charger rated for your AGM battery then leaving a standard trickle charger hooked  to your battery all winter will probably damage the battery due to sulfation issues.   

If you don't have a proper charger for your battery then do not leave it connected all the time.  With battery disconnected from motorcycle you will only have to re-charge  about every month or so.

13 hours ago, Rube said:

haven't looked at the battery but it is the original 2011 factory battery...

Morning Rube

I would be VERY surprised if that battery is still original  as that bike came with an Excide Gel battery. If in fact that battery is still  original then you have probably set some kind of world record for an OEM Excide Gel battery. 

If your bike still has the original  Gel battery then it is even more important to use the correct (Gel rated) battery charger  (but no matter the charger used it will be a miracle if it survives another storage period). 

if that battery is 8 (maybe 9 by spring) years old, I wouldn't worry about winter maintenance.  I would plan on replacement when you are ready to take it out next spring.  Some folks change the oil and ride it once for circulation before storage.  Other than that not much to do.  Check cables for corrosion.

My '13RT has its original battery and it's still going strong.  I checked my manual and the bike was put into service in Jan. 2013.  I've thought about replacing it but since I carry a jump starter battery pack in my tank bag I don't worry about being stranded.  The one I have is about the size of my iphone but slightly thicker.  I've used it to start cars, trucks and a few motorcycles -- the thing is amazing.  I bought it on Amazon a few years ago for less than fifty bucks.  Gives you peace-of-mind when you have an older battery.

On my '06, the battery was original until it started slow cranking, it was replaced Feb 2014.  If I recall, the battery had a sticker on it from 11/05.  Bike was manufactured 2/06.