IGNORED

Leaf Peepin'

BamaJohn

Just finished a fall ride that included good friends; fall colors; a train ride; heavy rains; and even snow!  It all started with an idea of riding the Great Smoky Mountains Railroad at Bryson City NC to do some Leaf Peepin'.   It was a worthwhile ride and some new friends from Maryland were made along the way!  But the best parts were before and after the train ride....My RT loves the path taken to Dave's house (rockosmith) in Adairsville GA and Dave joined me for a ride up to Tellico Plains TN;  along the Cherohala Skyway; and to Deals Gap for their last Sunday lunch of the season.  After lunch, we rode along CR28 until parting company when Dave split off at Stecoa to head back home.  Some new Michelin tire rubber was left along the way, creating miles of smiles!  

Riding on to Asheville to visit my daughter was the final destination and Mother Nature decided that it was too dry there, so She let loose with too-warm-temps bringing thunderstorms and then temps falling into the low 30's and snowflakes.  So my original plan of riding back to Alpine AL on Thursday was postponed until Friday morning, and I left Asheville at 11am in 35*F, but sunny skies, looking like the Michelin Tire Man with my riding gear!  Heated jacket liner and gloves combined with heated grips & seat to make things quite comfortable, and the temps rose throughout the day.  I spent the night with Dave Friday night....(man, that hot shower felt good!).  After waiting until the frost melted on Saturday morning, Dave and I suited up and we both rode to Cave Spring GA, where I split off for home and Dave did likewise.  "Six days on the road and I'm agonna make it home tonight..."  JB

IMG_5125.JPG

JB on Cherohala Skyway 9:27:2019.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
20 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Great pics and story! :thumbsup: The Durango/Silverton RR has been, and still is, on my bucket list. :5200:Yeah, I know!

Dave and I rode out to Colorado last year and two "wanna-do's" that we opted out of were Pikes Peak (we'd both been") and the Durango/Silverton RR.  We did ride up to the top of Mt Evans, the highest paved road in the US at over 14,000' elevation.  I believe we both have a little nagging feeling that we should have done the Durango/Silverton RR....may be the seed of another ride.  jb  (oops, wrong photo...)

racing action aboard Sandpebble circa 1991 001.jpg

• Like 1

About the highest atmosphere I have experienced outside a vehicle is 6,684 ft, which surpassed  a prievious 6,288 ft.  Pales in comparison, yeah, I know.   Mt. Evans is definitely on the bucket list for a bike ride.  Thanks for sharing.

.......some day.   ..........some day.

A few sights from Mt. Evans back in 2010. :thumbsup:

Who goes it on my mountain! :grin:

IMG_0441.JPG

IMG_0494.JPG

The Who wrote this.

IMG_0492.JPG

RevRay on his way

IMG_0496.JPG

Down.

IMG_0475.JPG

An awesome must do ride!

IMG_0479.JPG

• Like 3
11 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

About the highest atmosphere I have experienced outside a vehicle is 6,684 ft, which surpassed  a prievious 6,288 ft.  Pales in comparison, yeah, I know.   Mt. Evans is definitely on the bucket list for a bike ride.  Thanks for sharing.

.......some day.   ..........some day.

When you get to CO be sure and ride Pikes Peak also.  Almost as high with better road.  Then imagine racing up the mountain like they do every June!

• Like 2