IGNORED

Modular Helmet: Open or Closed?

MBrockman5

I got a Schuberth C3 with my new RT. It's my first modular helmet, so coming from regular helmets, it's kind of a new experience for me me. Does anyone ride with their modular up on the highway, or is that a "serious no-no?

I know there's nothing wrong with having it flipped up while riding around in city traffic. What I'm wondering is if there's a significant issue with having it flipped up on the highway (helmet damage wise). Living in California, it still gets warm later in the day and it's nice to have a little more fresh air...

I ride shields up all the time.  I do have some safety glasses that I wear for the occasional bug/debris that may fly up, but I like the wind in the face feel until such weather (rain) prevents the shield up.  I have flipped the C3 mod part up and ridden that way, for extended periods of time, but if you have your head at the wrong angle, it'll catch wind and give a slight pull back, nothing detrimental, just a slight annoyance.  To maintain the shields up, I have rubber o-rings that I put between the shield and the helmet at the pivot so as not to slam down and it maintains it's open posture.

6 hours ago, MBrockman5 said:

I got a Schubert C3 with my new RT. It's my first modular helmet, so coming from regular helmets, it's kind of a new experience for me me. Does anyone ride with their modular up on the highway, or is that a "serious no-no?

I know there's nothing wrong with having it flipped up while riding around in city traffic. What I'm wondering is if there's a significant issue with having it flipped up on the highway (helmet damage wise). Living in California, it still gets warm later in the day and it's nice to have a little more fresh air...

Morning MBrockman5

I don't have a Schubert C3 so I can't specifically speak to that helmet but I do have a couple of modular helmets so I can speak to riding with a modular helmet being open.

The helmet manufactures so not recommend riding with them open as they don't protect as intended with the helmet open, plus with the front section being up on top that puts a lot more load on your neck if you do crash.

Now with the above  being said I have no use for a modular helmet  that I can't ride with the front open so I have ridden with my modelers  open for many years now. They are way more noisy with the front open,  the wind pushes your head around more with that glob up top , plus you need some sort of eye protection with the front open. BUT, it works OK & I do it often.

I have ridden with the modular front  open WELL above legal speeds (like double legal) without helmet damage & ridden many thousand of miles in the 80-90 range with the front open without helmet damage. 

Personally, I'm not a big modular  fan as I don't like riding with my head in a fish bowl so I don't really like full face helmets either.  I pretty well delegate my modular's to use in very cold weather (below 25°f) or on days when I expect lots of rain with some nice weather in between. I really like my modular in the very cold damp mornings as I can open the entire front at stoplights or in slow traffic  to prevent fogging but quickly shut it again as I ride off & gain speed. 

I have a Cee Bailey's windscreen on this bike and it does a great job at directing the wind over the top of my head, so I haven't noticed my neck & head being whipped around. With as expensive as Schuberth's are, I think I was more worried about having the chin bar getting ripped off at speed. 

As far as noise goes, my helmet came with the SRC system so I always have Amazon music or RAD Radio (morning talk show. Check it out) playing. It helps drown out the wind, but still allows me to hear my surroundings. 

Regarding "weather"... I love the cold, so I don't mind the mornings one bit... I'm still waiting for the "rare, mythical CA wet weather". If and when it magically arrives, I still have some full face options (an older Arai and a new Bolt). 

1 minute ago, MBrockman5 said:

I have a Cee Bailey's windscreen on this bike and it does a great job at directing the wind over the top of my head, so I haven't noticed my neck & head being whipped around. With as expensive as Schuberth's are, I think I was more worried about having the chin bar getting ripped off at speed.

Nope, won't happen

As far as I know, most modular helmets are not designed to be worn with the chin up riding.  I think the rationale was that the helmets strength which is already a compromise over a full face is much less without the chin locked in.

There is a helmet that is designed for that, the Shark Evoline series.  The chin is designed so that it flips all the way back and doesnt get in the airstream to move your head the wrong way.  

I myself use a Nolan N40 that has a removable chin bar and most of the time I wear it as a 3/4 unless its really cold and then I snap in the chin bar.

We all have different views when it comes to safety equipment and the helmet is probably the most critical piece.  Do what you think is right.

This is what the shark looks like.  It was probably my second choice before going with the Nolan.

shark-helmets-evoline-series-3-uni-black

haha i have modular helmets as in a 3/4 and a full face modules.  Traveling, rain riding or too damn cold out I wear the full face, but most day rides and hot weather it is the 3/4 helment.  i will say that even with the full face I tend to leave the clear shield up more often than not. As DR said the head in a fish bowl feeling bothers me and I hate fighing fogged face shield in the cool weather.

If you look at the data sheets of the helmet you're interested in, you should see if it's homologated as a closed and open helmet.

Some modular helmets are homologated to be used at speeds up to 80 kph. Often they have a way of locking the chin bar in the up position.

My X-Lite 1004 is one of those. IIRC my old Neotec and Schuberth C2 were homologated both ways.

I don't know of the legalities of using a helmet like that, I've been told some European countries allow it at speeds up to 40 kph only. Is there such a limitation in the US of A?

I personally very rarely ride with the chin bar open, mostly at parking lot speeds. Above that, I find there's too much drag. Just cracking the shield open is good enough for me, even in extremely hot temps.  

I raise mine up when I stop.  If I am moving I have it down.  As DR said if you fall with it up, it won't protect your face and it is likely going pull hard on your neck/head when the up part hits.  I stand on my pegs occasionally while riding to cool down or stretch.  If you do that with the chin up you will only do it once. It will snap your head back.

I've been using modular since about 2000.  I wouldn't trade it for a full face.  Texas heat is brutal and raising it up when stopped is helpful.  My visor is always up some; a little in the winter and a lot during the summer.  I wear good sunglasses (plastic lens) to shield the eyes.

I started riding with modular helmets, but I feel that Modular helmets have some serious weight penalty over full-face helmets. 

Over long hours in the saddle, that weight penalty really put the strain on your neck/shoulders, sometimes without rider even noticing.  

I kept the face shield down during the ride, only flip up when I come to a stop or trying to get quick drink or conversation while riding. 

The convenience of the flip up really was not worth carrying extra weight on my head constantly, I switched back to full-face lighter weight helmets. 

I have two modular, an HJC and an LS2.  I ride with it open 90% of the time.  The weight doesn't bother me.  I like the modular design because I eat and drink while touring.  I also like the open feel.  I don't know about the Schuberth but the LS2 has no issues with riding open.  The HJC does catch air.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Shark Evo-One  which is homologated for open or closed position

The Shark Evoline 3 weight 3.3lbs and the Evo-One 2.75 lbs.

The weight doesn't bother me . I have no issues riding 12hrs day with it.

The Evo-one had an issue with the Pinlock visor getting scratched when opening and closing the face shield.

This has been corrected on the Evo-One 2

I sent my Evo-One to Shark regarding this issue and they upgraded the hinge system to the new one found on the Evo-One 2. Problem solved

Evo-One 2.jpg