IGNORED

Nav V, Day/Night Mode

Inigo

I'm scratching my head on this one.  Now that we have transitioned to Standard Time, my Nav V doesn't seem to be able to automatically change to Night mode at sunset.  If I manually set it to Night, it works fine.  When I set it to Automatic, even hours after sunset, it's at full bright Daylight mode.  Any thoughts?

9 hours ago, MikeRC said:

Do you have incorrect date stamps on your tracks as well?  That is, does the Nav V think it is still in the middle of the summer?  If so it may be the GPS Week Number rollover issue

Garmin has a fix which is available via Garmin Express. 

Mike C

Thanks Mike!

I went to look for my tracks in BaseCamp and the last set of tracks on the list was from 11-01-2019 (Fri).  When I first noticed the problem on Sunday, I had ridden a specific route after I put gas in the bike.  I found the tracks on the map and when I selected the route, it showed up as "Active Log: 2000-03-19 17:14".  I went through my 60K mile maintenance on Sat-Sun and I know I didn't install a flux capacitor.  It is obviously the Week Number Roll Over (WNRO).

Thanks again.

I looked for an update from Garmin to address the WNRO issue but found nothing.  I went to the Support Desk at Garmin and received a less than warm message back that said something like "they would review my case file and get back to you".

Has anyone else seen this issue and is the a software update available?  I'm hoping that it will be a software update and not firmware.

17 hours ago, Inigo said:

I'm scratching my head on this one.  Now that we have transitioned to Standard Time, my Nav V doesn't seem to be able to automatically change to Night mode at sunset.  If I manually set it to Night, it works fine.  When I set it to Automatic, even hours after sunset, it's at full bright Daylight mode.  Any thoughts?

Evening Inigo

Your Nav 5 gets it's time zone (& current  position)  from the satellites that it accesses so that part is pretty fool proof. If it is in a factory cradle that integrates with the motorcycle electronics then some do use the motorcycle's built in light sensor (same one that dims the dash) to put it in night mode.

See if your GPS acts normally in regards to night mode when removed from the GPS cradle, if so then look for a problem in how the motorcycle electronics control  is influencing the GPS night mode.  

If you can't get it figured out then save all your GPS data onto your computer then do a hard re-set. That usually gets the GPS bugs out.

There have been several posts about the time/date problem at the BMWMOA forum and on ADVRIDER. Seems to have affected the Navigators worldwide, as the first report I saw came from Australia. I'd expect Garmin to publish an update soon.  

I'm not so sure the change in day/night screen is related, as my zumo will change colors based on ambient light, like when passing through a tunnel.

That looks like it (the GPS reset to Aug 21, 1999 on April 3, 2019).  I know my fix for the Zumo 660 was a small file and you never would have known from the innocent title that it was fixing that particular issue.   Garmin never "announced" the fix, it just showed up sometime in early July. 

Hopefully they will do the same for the BMW Navigator units.  

Mike C

On 11/6/2019 at 9:20 PM, lkraus said:

Seems to have affected the Navigators worldwide, as the first report I saw came from Australia. I'd expect Garmin to publish an update soon.  

Yep, problems here in the UK also.

• 1 month later...