IGNORED

Gerbing and Firstgear

profbodryak

Just wanted to recommend the Firstgear panel mount over the one by Gerbing. I hate loose wires so here is how I did it this time. The plug with the cover you see in the photo is by Firstgear but is fully compatible with the Gerbing wiring. The panel mount by Gerbing is too flimsy in my opinion. How did you guys wire yours?

IMG-20191103-WA0008.jpeg

That sure beats the two his and hers pigtails that I have sticking out from under the seat!  How large of a hole did you have to drill to mount those.  That really looks nice!

• Haha 1

What I did is I used the largest drill bit for this which was not even nearly enough for the size of the panel connector (https://images.rockymountainatvmc.com/images/prod/275/f/fir_12_dc_coa_pan_mou_con.jpg). Then I used the smaller wire cutter pliars to make the hole larger. I'd say it's a little over a half inch? (Gerbing version is tiny at about 3/8th of an inch or so).

My original thought was to do this to the gas tank fairing (likely not enough space between the tank itself and the fairing). Another option was plastic immediately under the driver's seat but that surface is not exactly flat plus I didn't want to ruin the larger fairing pieces.

The only issue with this install is that if you are on and off the bike all the time it gets annoying opening the cover and inserting the plug over and over again. But this solution is waterproof which was my goal.

Here it is at Aerostich (marked as Warm n Safe - same connector as far as I can tell):

https://www.aerostich.com/dc-coax-jack-panel-mount.html

and Dennis Kirk:

https://www.denniskirk.com/firstgear/dc-coax-jack-panel-mount-512975.p2001401.prd/2001401.sku?utm_source=google&utm_medium=csecid=6821162156&aid=76472566741&keyword=881096079327%3A%3Apla-881096079327&kid=881096079327&gclid=Cj0KCQiAtf_tBRDtARIsAIbAKe1KuM3DWQgESEyLO498PJ21Vy6QzO-3mH0H1gw_am4jC_kICxp05pIaAsTNEALw_wcB

You can find it lots of places online with prices from around $15 to over $25 - I've ordered them from amazon in the past for around $18. Just google coax heated gear connector - if that doesn't work, add "panel mount" to your search.

Here is the Gerbing connector:

https://www.gerbing.com/panel-mount?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o2&scid=scplpG1215U-ACC-908-001-10001&sc_intid=G1215U-ACC-908-001-10001&gclid=Cj0KCQiAtf_tBRDtARIsAIbAKe2okTHyUXsm7VVm7HA93X7j0LEYzj6V--XF4Fep-w3Se6XfY3x6dp8aAgz-EALw_wcB

One thing I like about the Gerbing is that it makes that 90deg bend which helps to fit in tight spaces (like the tank fairing mentioned above). I have also ordered, through amazon, one that looks just like the First Gear one pictured above EXCEPT it has a 90deg bend instead of the straight wiring. I can't find that one available anywhere right now though.

Instead of chewing up your plastic with wire cutters, spend $10 and buy a "cheap" step drill bit. Amazon has tons and Harbor Freight stocks them too (as do regular hardware/tool stores - you can spend a lot if you want, but the cheap ones take care of plastic with no problem and will work on thinner soft metals alright too). Even if you only used it once it would be worth it, but I'm sure you'll find other jobs to use it on. ;)

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-titanium-nitride-coated-high-speed-steel-step-drills-91616.html

image.thumb.png.ac377fb0f7f075833b9cf7e5f663fe48.png

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, profbodryak said:

The only issue with this install is that if you are on and off the bike all the time it gets annoying opening the cover and inserting the plug over and over again. But this solution is waterproof which was my goal.

I like enough wire so that when I forget to unplug when getting off of the bike I don't stress the wiring.   So, I use a short extension to add length between my connectors.  One of these would keep you from having to plug/unplug from the covered connector for frequent stops.

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/hotwired-extension-cord

28 minutes ago, RPondaRoad said:

I like enough wire so that when I forget to unplug when getting off of the bike I don't stress the wiring.   So, I use a short extension to add length between my connectors.  One of these would keep you from having to plug/unplug from the covered connector for frequent stops.

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/hotwired-extension-cord

I do the same thing. The pigtail on my jacket only barely hangs below the hem, so I plug an extension in between, and it stays plugged to the bike during fuel/meal stops. 

19 minutes ago, strataj said:

Powerlet sell a hole saw  https://www.powerlet.com/product/hole-saw-1116-drill-holesaw/227 

I have my heated jacket wire hang out from the seat and tuck it away when not in use.  If I forget about being connected it comes apart without causing issues

The nice thing about a step bit vs a hole saw like that is a much cleaner cut particularly on plastics, and then you also have the benefit of multiple sizes so you can use it for whatever accessory you’re mounting. If, however, you were mounting to wood the hole saw would be better. 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, szurszewski said:

I do the same thing. The pigtail on my jacket only barely hangs below the hem, so I plug an extension in between, and it stays plugged to the bike during fuel/meal stops. 

The nice thing about a step bit vs a hole saw like that is a much cleaner cut particularly on plastics, and then you also have the benefit of multiple sizes so you can use it for whatever accessory you’re mounting. If, however, you were mounting to wood the hole saw would be better. 

I had very good results using the above hole saw on a painted plastic panel on my Wee Strom and wouldn't hesitate using it on my Wethead. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

szurszewski: yeah, sometimes I just don't have the tools I need :) I considered doing this in the left gas tank fairing as it would be closer to the jacket (I have a curled wire sticking out from the liner but with everything else, including the controller, hidden in the internal pocket) but glad I decided against it :) Jokes aside, it was truly because I wasn't sure about having enough space between the tank and the fairing. And also the winter season is somewhat short here in DC.

RPondaRoad: wire cutters for a lack of a better tool :4322:The goal was to have the least wiring available and with the curled telephone style cord you can feel a slight pull. Since it is held in place with more wiring by an internal zipper you are not stressing anything other than that curled extension. The plastic trim is mounted pretty tight and there is some slack in the wire behind it.

strataj: not with this panel mount you see in the photo above. Another reason I like it compared to the one made by Gerbing. It is slightly tighter so doesn't unsnap as easily.

narcosis: it is a great idea but the wire pocket on a Gerbing liner is on the left so it would be more wires extending across the gas tank.

9 hours ago, profbodryak said:

narcosis: it is a great idea but the wire pocket on a Gerbing liner is on the left so it would be more wires extending across the gas tank.

Firstgear wire pocket is on the left too.  My setup:  the heat controller snaps in place on my tank bag, nearest the windshield, with the rheostat knobs facing up.  The input power cord to the controller plugs into the outlet on the right and the two outlet wires into my heated gear on the left.  No interference with anything and everything is within easy sight and reach while in the saddle.  I went through many arrangements before this one and am pretty happy with it.

I like Warm N Safe.  My wire to the jacket is under the seat until I need it then it will come out from the left side of the seat at a length of my choice.  I have a wireless controller, it's small held in place with a small piece of velcro in an easy to reach and see  location.  One less wire is a good thing :)

Kerry in Mpls
12 hours ago, strataj said:

I like Warm N Safe.  My wire to the jacket is under the seat until I need it then it will come out from the left side of the seat at a length of my choice.  I have a wireless controller, it's small held in place with a small piece of velcro in an easy to reach and see  location.  One less wire is a good thing :)

Same. :eek: