IGNORED

My New R1150RT

Rasta Rider

Picked up this 2004 R1150RT a couple weeks ago. It's a one-owner bike with only 17k miles. With the exception of scratched mirrors, it's literally in showroom condition. I couldn't find any undamaged OE mirrors online, so I ordered a pair of knock-offs from eBay. I plan to leash the mirrors to the fairing with steel fishing leader, about a $2 fix. Can't believe  Wunderlich and others charge up to $20 for leashes.   

My new RT was used only 2k miles in the past two years. The owner was an elderly man. He told me the bike was too heavy for him. Prior to selling it he had Cycle Werks BMW (Barrington, IL) replace the oil sight glass, oil pressure switch and starter. They also installed a new BMW battery and changed the oil/filter. All other services are up to date. My previous bike was a Buell Ulysses XB12X. Now that the weather is colder, it's nice to sit behind a full fairing. I love the Titan Silver paint. It's a popular color.

R1150-RT-3.jpg

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Rasta Rider said:

Picked up this 2004 R1150RT a couple weeks ago. It's a one-owner bike with only 17k miles. With the exception of scratched mirrors, it's literally in showroom condition. I couldn't find any undamaged OE mirrors online, so I ordered a pair of knock-offs from eBay. I plan to leash the mirrors to the fairing with steel fishing leader, about a $2 fix. Can't believe that Wunderlich and others charge up to $20 for leashes.   

My new RT was used only 2k miles in the past two years. The owner was an elderly man. He told me the bike was too heavy for him. Prior to selling it he had Cycle Werks BMW (Barrington, IL) replace the oil sight glass, oil pressure switch and starter. They also installed a new BMW battery and changed the oil/filter. All other services are up to date. My previous bike was a Buell Ulysses XB12X. Now that the weather is colder, it's nice to sit behind a full fairing. I love the Titan Silver paint. It's a popular color.

Morning  Rasta Rider

Nice looking motorcycle.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of those mirror leashes. They do work to keep the mirror with the motorcycle if they fall off, BUT, if the mirror  comes loose at speed, like they sometimes do, then the dangling/ bouncing mirror beats the heck out of the expensive to replace, or expensive to re-paint  Tupperware.

I much prefer a bungee type elastic restraint as that can actually keep the mirror from falling off to begin with. 

• Like 2

Good morning.

I've owned a few RT's over the years. Never had a mirror fall off while riding. It would usually happen when I walked by the bike and bump into a mirror. Bonehead move but it happens. If a mirror is likely to fall off while riding, the quick release connection is loose. You can squeeze the (3) metal connectors on the mirror with needle nose pliers to tighten them.

Does someone sell the bungee type elastic restraint or is it something you've fabricated?

3 hours ago, Tush said:

Nice looking bike and I do love the silver.  Just picked mine up yesterday.  

Cheers

Tush

My first BMW

AEA6901E-0CAF-4832-A87F-42A3DC9E135D.png

• Like 1

I've had my RT since 2005, haven't lost a mirror yet, and don't use them . 

I think maybe it can happen in areas that have snowfall and potholes. 

In Calif we have halfway decent roads. 

Or riders will read about it on forums and rush out to the garage and make some because of the old sky is falling thought process. 

Mirror leashes can also be made with a plastic zip-tie and made short enough where the mirror doesn't fall more than two or three inches if you have deft fingers or needle nose . Then you don't get the dinged up paint that is a true thing as D.R. mentioned. 

The leashes can be made up from cable and connectors that any hardware store carries.  Primarily for me the cables are for keeping the mirror from finding a new home.  I think mine cost less than five dollars for the pair.  With stock mirrors being of high quality I would probably consider fixing them and repainting before buying the knockoffs.  

3 hours ago, Mike279 said:

The leashes can be made up from cable and connectors that any hardware store carries.  Primarily for me the cables are for keeping the mirror from finding a new home.  I think mine cost less than five dollars for the pair.  With stock mirrors being of high quality I would probably consider fixing them and repainting before buying the knockoffs.  

Thanks. I prefer stainless steel fishing leader. They're ready made and available in different lengths. For $3, I can buy enough for my bike and tackle box.

ssleader.jpg

Wow, I hope your mirrors never come off while you are riding because that will make a real mess of your paintwork! 

Painting costs a lot more than a secondhand mirror pod. I have mine secured with plastic cable ties. If the mirror gets knocked off at low speed it will hole more than adequately. If it should happen at higher speed, it will thankfully let go.

8 hours ago, AndyS said:

Wow, I hope your mirrors never come off while you are riding because that will make a real mess of your paintwork! 

Painting costs a lot more than a secondhand mirror pod. I have mine secured with plastic cable ties. If the mirror gets knocked off at low speed it will hole more than adequately. If it should happen at higher speed, it will thankfully let go.

I've covered thousands and thousands of miles on an RT and never had a mirror fall off while riding.  If a mirror is at risk of falling off while riding, the (3) connectors in the mirror should be tightened or the base plate that houses the connectors should be replaced.

Maybe the mirror might pop off at mach 1....  I've owned an RT with that type of mirror connection since 2000 without one popping off.  Over the years I had to adjust one of the six receiving cups to assure a snug fit but that was me just being fussy that it seemed to easy to engage the post in the cup.

After starting to ride again and parking lot practicing i dropped the bike (thanks for the cylinder protection nothing happened to the bike but the mirror popped out. did not get damaged, thk god and was held in place by the wires. All worked good, just poped back in place. 

the one on the right seems a bit discolored and i am wandering if it is the original one. there is a slight out of alignment with the main fairing but it really is just visible by my very picky friend, it does not really bother me but i may look at it this winter just because. The steel cable seems a good idea though

2 hours ago, christianf said:

All worked good, just poped back in place. 

the one on the right seems a bit discolored and i am wandering if it is the original one. there is a slight out of alignment with the main fairing but it really is just visible by my very picky friend, it does not really bother me but i may look at it this winter just because. The steel cable seems a good idea though

What can happen in a drop is that the subframe under the fairing gets slightly bent, and then the mirror mounts don't perfectly align.  After that happens, the mirrors are more prone to falling off, on, say, very bumpy roads.

• Like 1