IGNORED

BMW MOA National Rally JUNE 25-28

The BMW MOA National Rally will visit Great Falls, Montana June-28, 2020.

We can become a "Charter" if we can get ten members of MOA and BMWST to show up as a group. 

Upon forming the "Charter" we can reserve our own camping area and participate in the festivities.

The question is...Do we have ten (or more) members interested in going to the MOA Rally?

If we do maybe we can make it an annual event?

Whip

• Whip pinned this topic

We are still on the fence for next summer.  DyAnne and I have discussed the National, we have fallen in love with Montana, but are still undecided.  If we don't head to Montana, our plans are to make the event in Wisconsin.  The UN just wont fit in the work schedule next year.

Generally, we plan on attending the UN which doesn't leave much of an option to make the National.  I suspect many of the working stiffs are in the same predicament.           

I have been thinking of making the ride to the MOA, but it is too early to make any firm commitments.

But it has been a few years since I been out west (UnRally XI in Salida, CO in 2012). 

• Like 1

I'm planning a cross country trip for next year that is kinda, sorta, maybe firm.  I had been thinking of earlier in the year but since this is in Montana, I could change  to hit it on the back side.

I'm an MOA member as well.

• Like 2

We are planning on it, I am an MOA member, BUT. Kate uses a Cpap so we need to be in the medical area. Can we still be counted so you get your area? Is that fudging? 

• 3 weeks later...

In all the years I've been a MOA member and have never gone to their national rally.  Maybe this will work and be the first one .  Sure do love the riding in the area. 

"if we can get ten members of MOA and BMWST to show up as a group."  I think this might be a problem.  We probably have many ST members who are MOA members, such as myself.  I am going to the MOA rally.  More than glad to sign in as an ST member.  Problem is "showing up as a group".  We all come from different distances and different directions.  To arrive at the same time and place is near impossible.  If we could arrive at our own times and simply declare we are BMWST club members, this should be easy to pull off.  Riding in as a group is a logistical nightmare.

7 hours ago, Red said:

"if we can get ten members of MOA and BMWST to show up as a group."  I think this might be a problem.  We probably have many ST members who are MOA members, such as myself.  I am going to the MOA rally.  More than glad to sign in as an ST member.  Problem is "showing up as a group".  We all come from different distances and different directions.  To arrive at the same time and place is near impossible.  If we could arrive at our own times and simply declare we are BMWST club members, this should be easy to pull off.  Riding in as a group is a logistical nightmare.

I just reread Whip's post - I'd assumed/read that we just needed to have at least ten in attendance, but upon that reread, I can see it the way you read it.

@Whip can you clarify this for us? If it does need to be an in-person-at-time-of-registration thing that's obviously more of a pain, but I don't think it would be too hard to pull off...

The nice thing about having a "group" is that you will all be together in one spot. At least for those camping. That part would be good. Another good thing is that everyone will be able to do what they want, as others will be "running" the rally. 

On the other hand, the two major BMW Rallies from MOA and RA are the reason we started the UNrally!

I am a member, more as a business reason than any other. But I wouldn't mind this venue. Too early to commit. 

Hi Gang,

Whip has asked me to run with this project.  If you are an MOA member, and are not listed above, please let me know.  I think we have ten folks between us.  I will get the paperwork done and submitted.  Looking forward to seeing you at the MOA and the rest of the events next season.

Rob Stevens

• Like 1

I've sent many of you a pm asking for some MOA data.   Thanks.

Rob

If you do not get a note from me, this is what I have sent out.  Feel free to PM me with your info as we put this together.

My PM:

Hi,

Rob Stevens (Scout6) here.  I am setting up our charter application for the ST Group.  Whip called and told me to do so, so what else can I do.  My wife Susan and I are both members of the MOA, and go to the International Rally each year.

Can you please send me your full name, MOA membership number, and the current expiration of your membership?

Thanks so much.  Whether we all make it to the rally or not, we can become a chartered club, which allows us to set up a camping area together.

Rob Stevens

• Like 1
On 12/8/2019 at 9:44 PM, scout6 said:

Rob

If you do not get a note from me, this is what I have sent out.  Feel free to PM me with your info as we put this together.

My PM:

Hi,

Rob Stevens (Scout6) here.  I am setting up our charter application for the ST Group.  Whip called and told me to do so, so what else can I do.  My wife Susan and I are both members of the MOA, and go to the International Rally each year.

Can you please send me your full name, MOA membership number, and the current expiration of your membership?

Thanks so much.  Whether we all make it to the rally or not, we can become a chartered club, which allows us to set up a camping area together.

Rob Stevens

pm send

I could make this easier than the UN. I am a MOA member. The Rally here in Lebanon, TN had more vendors in one place that I have ever seen. Considering it.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2019 at 8:44 PM, scout6 said:

Rob

My PM:

Hi,

Rob Stevens

MOA member:  John Beasley, #177238, Exp 4/30/2020  

Sign me up.  Too early to commit completely but will go if I am not in a 6 day a week engagement like I am in in right now.  I always things would slow down in the 6th decade.  :-)

• 2 weeks later...

In case you have not seen it yet, the registration is open for the rally, and they are running what sounds like a pretty good deal until February 15th. Any TWO people can register for a hundred bucks! (Members are only $55 as singles before 2/15, so not a great savings, but a good deal if you are registering a non-member too, or if you ARE a non member and have a friend.)

https://rally.bmwmoa.org/registration-open/

• 1 month later...

I registered this week.  The online system had no mention of clubs.  Must happen at time of arrival?  Also don't know if ewe can claim two or more clubs.  AMA, state club, BMWST, ect.  This could get messy.  Also, does ofishul recognition mean we get a 'designated' camp area?  If yes, who picks that spot?

Edited by Red
spelling
  • 4 weeks later...

I’m definitely in, haven’t attended one since the Salem OR rally (a great location for a repeat) and we’ll be attending after attending the Dawson D2D. 

Yeeha Stephen

I'll be there Fri afternoon and Saturday.

Was gonna trailer 2 bikes, put one in the Show and Tour the area on the other. But Miss Vicki has bailed on me and now I want to ride.... so see ya' there on Saturday  on one bike.

SS

I'm registered, and an MOA member.

Looking forward to exploring Colorado and Wyoming on the way to the rally from Pittsboro, NC. Especially looking forward to the Big Horn mountain range and the Beartooth Highway. Plus some nice roads in southern MO on the way there and back. Just hoping this shit with SARS-CoV2 settles down before then.

Mike

It's good to hear that so many of our members are headed to the MOA's Great Falls' Rally this coming June. 

The Rally is dependent upon  1200-1400  volunteers to make it function.  Help is needed not only during the Rally but also on the Monday and especially on the Tuesday and Wednesday setup prior to the Thursday opening.  All areas need volunteers.  If you are hanging out as a group,  please consider having you and some friends operating a complete shift for one of the committees. 

You can either sign up for volunteering on site at the Volunteers' Table or better still,  on the MOA's Rally site,  click on Volunteering which will take you to all of the committees with their task descriptions as well as shifts that need to be filled.  Of  course I am partial to the Volunteers' Committee as this group fills vacancies on site for all the committees that still have a need for helpers. 

Volunteering will enhance your Rally experience and it only requires donating 2, 3 or 4 hours of your time (depending upon which committee you help) ! 

Have safe rides to Great Falls. 

Paul
Paul. F. Ruffell
“Saddle Up & Ride” 2020 Volunteer Chair
 rallyvolunteers@bmwmoa.org

• Thanks 1
szurszewski

I should be able to show up early to volunteer for set up - or if that's not available I'll sign up for something else. ...assuming we get to have the rally!

Thanks for positing the suggestion!

I agree with Endobobdds, if the curve does or does not flatten, the rally is dead.  The risk of infection at any major event in June will be unacceptable.  Even if closure orders relent, how many in the MOA demographic will choose to take the chance?

szurszewski
8 hours ago, Red said:

I agree with Endobobdds, if the curve does or does not flatten, the rally is dead.  The risk of infection at any major event in June will be unacceptable.  Even if closure orders relent, how many in the MOA demographic will choose to take the chance?

Wait - you're not suggesting, are you sir, that BMW riders/rally goers are a bunch of old dudes? Hmmm....

image.thumb.png.2c0fb979427846b2a78efc1244fed45a.pngimage.png.7c38e1a90feaa949ea989b4c623a1348.png

(photos stolen from rob stansfield)

• Haha 1
szurszewski

Email from the MOA this morning  - I'll go ahead and paste here for those who don't get the emails/aren't members. The gist though is that they plan to carry on if possible and "hope to have a clearer picture by May 15th." Also, for those who want to back out, full refunds will be granted through May 24th. 

March 25, 2020

Thank you for registering for the 2020 National Rally in Great Falls. I know you are ready to Saddle Up & Ride and put the current health crisis in your rear-view mirror. Our Rally Team is working hard to make sure we are ready for you in Great Falls and I want to share with you some thoughts about the National Rally.

Obviously, there is much uncertainty about the future. The health situation is very serious and of great concern to our members. I recognize the severity of your concerns for your health, safety and future travel plans. I want you to know that we will take every precaution to deliver a safe and healthy rally in June. If the situation forces alternate plans or makes a safe environment impossible, we will adjust so that our members can feel secure in the Rally environment. As of today, we have every intention of putting on a great show for you June 25-28, 2020 and we are working hard to make that a reality.

Currently, I expect to have a much clearer picture of the future by May 15. I understand that your personal situation or tolerances may not allow you to wait for a decision. If that is the case for you, our refund policy allows for a full refund of your registration fees before May 25. If you need to make a decision today for your own peace of mind, please contact the member services team at (864) 438-0962 or membership@bmwmoa.org and we will be glad to accommodate you.

I want to assure you that we will make the best decisions about the Rally with our members health and financial well being in mind. The MOA has always been about community, friendship and fellowship and our greatest responsibility at the Rally is to keep our friends and family healthy and safe. 

For all of us, I am hopeful for good news in the coming weeks. Until then, please be safe and stay healthy. I look forward to seeing all of you at the National!

Sincerely,

Ted Moyer
Executive Director
BMW Motorcycle Owners of America

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I joined the BMWST instead of the MOA, but a couple of the local guys were planning to go and drag me along, so i guess now maybe next yr.

• Twisties unpinned this topic
  • 7 months later...
szurszewski

I am blocking out my summer calendar and it seemed like a good time to resurrect this thread. I'm planning to go to the rally, since I already paid for it (what seems like AGES ago now...), and am looking at a route. Living up near Olympia, WA now but working in Portland and will probably leave from there. 

I'm thinking of staying at Lochsa Lodge on Wednesday June 23rd. Specifically I'm thinking of renting a rustic cabin, 'cause they're cheaper less expensive and I'm poor.  If anyone wants to split one, please let me know - they only have a few cabins, so I'll probably book one today or at least very soon.  The rustic cabins do NOT have running water; there is a shower/bathhouse nearby. Some of them DO have fireplaces and screened porches and they all have linens included. Depending on which cabin, it's about $65 per double bed. 

For those who don't know, Lochsa is an old, pretty rustic lodge basically on top of Lolo Pass on US12 at the ID/MT border. It's a pretty easy 220 miles from Lochsa to Great Falls, or you can make it a much longer day by taking a less direct route. If you're heading to the rally from the west, it's a beautiful and logical stop along the way, and if you're coming from anywhere and have time, including a detour to Lolo Pass is not at all a bad idea. 

https://www.lochsalodge.com/the-lodge/

Shoot me a pm or reply here if you're interested. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just a couple of updates for anyone headed to the MOA. 

The Canada-US border is still closed to non-emergency land crossing.  I don't anticipate it will open before August.   

Access to the East Entrance of Glacier National Park (US) is now open through the Blackfoot Nation.  It looks like the east side park campgrounds will be closed this season.  There is some pretty extensive ongoing roadwork on US 89  between Kiowa and St Mary, as well as the Many Glacier access road. 

Riding/driving on the Going-to-the-Sun Road will be by Ticketed Entry only May 28 to September 6.  It is usually open for the year by the third week of June (but can be as late as the end of the first week of July).  

Mike RC

• Sad 1
8 hours ago, MikeRC said:

Just a couple of updates for anyone headed to the MOA. 

The Canada-US border is still closed to non-emergency land crossing.  I don't anticipate it will open before August.   

Access to the East Entrance of Glacier National Park (US) is now open through the Blackfoot Nation.  It looks like the east side park campgrounds will be closed this season.  There is some pretty extensive ongoing roadwork on US 89  between Kiowa and St Mary, as well as the Many Glacier access road. 

Riding/driving on the Going-to-the-Sun Road will be by Ticketed Entry only May 28 to September 6.  It is usually open for the year by the third week of June (but can be as late as the end of the first week of July).  

Mike RC

Thanks Mike, looks like the UN is also likely a no go.

• Sad 2