Sign in to follow this  
MotoNews

Riding To The Cave Of Owls On Indian’s Scout Sixty Photo Gallery

MotoNews
Riding an Indian Scout Sixty into the sunset on the Huallaga River, gateway to the Amazon.
Riding an Indian Scout Sixty into the sunset on the Huallaga River, gateway to the Amazon. (Janelle Kaz/)Rainy days, jungle scapes, and nefarious activity are the norm riding in the Peruvian Amazon.
Rainy days, jungle scapes, and nefarious activity are the norm riding in the Peruvian Amazon. (Janelle Kaz/)As a woman traveling solo, I’ve come to recognize that having a camera mounted on my helmet has added a bit of safety, as once people notice it, it seems to put them on their best behavior.
As a woman traveling solo, I’ve come to recognize that having a camera mounted on my helmet has added a bit of safety, as once people notice it, it seems to put them on their best behavior. (Janelle Kaz/)Tingo María is situated between the busy jungle port city of Pucallpa and Peru’s capital, Lima, on the Pacific.
Tingo María is situated between the busy jungle port city of Pucallpa and Peru’s capital, Lima, on the Pacific. (Map from Google Earth./)Dramatic clouds at sunset in the central Peruvian city of Tingo María.
Dramatic clouds at sunset in the central Peruvian city of Tingo María. (Janelle Kaz/)From within the <em>Cueva de las Lechuzas</em>, the Cave of Owls, which actually doesn’t contain owls, but nocturnal, echolocating oilbirds.
From within the <em>Cueva de las Lechuzas</em>, the Cave of Owls, which actually doesn’t contain owls, but nocturnal, echolocating oilbirds. (Janelle Kaz/)Close up with an oilbird in Peru, the only nocturnal, exclusively fruit-eating, flying bird in existence.
Close up with an oilbird in Peru, the only nocturnal, exclusively fruit-eating, flying bird in existence. (Photo by Pablo Quintana./)The Huallaga river and the bridge that connects Tingo María and a dead-end road, leading to an infamous red zone for illicit coca plantations.
The Huallaga river and the bridge that connects Tingo María and a dead-end road, leading to an infamous red zone for illicit coca plantations. (Janelle Kaz/)The Huallaga is born on the slopes of the Andes in central Peru and joins the Marañón and Ucayali rivers to form the mighty Amazon.
The Huallaga is born on the slopes of the Andes in central Peru and joins the Marañón and Ucayali rivers to form the mighty Amazon. (Janelle Kaz/)Heading westward past the Cave of Owls did not feel like the safest joyride to take, and I therefore soon turned around.
Heading westward past the Cave of Owls did not feel like the safest joyride to take, and I therefore soon turned around. (Janelle Kaz/)Coca leaves are an integral part of the lives of the Andean peoples from both a cultural and traditional medicine perspective.
Coca leaves are an integral part of the lives of the Andean peoples from both a cultural and traditional medicine perspective. (Janelle Kaz/)Three on a motorcycle, roads under perpetual construction, and coca fields are standard sightings in rural Peru.
Three on a motorcycle, roads under perpetual construction, and coca fields are standard sightings in rural Peru. (Janelle Kaz/)The Huallaga River bridge at sunset, just beyond the Cave of Owls.
The Huallaga River bridge at sunset, just beyond the Cave of Owls. (Janelle Kaz/)Adventuring Peru by motorcycle is full of wonders and surprises around every corner and across every bridge.
Adventuring Peru by motorcycle is full of wonders and surprises around every corner and across every bridge. (Janelle Kaz/)

View the full article