IGNORED

GPS on Android Phone

RPondaRoad

The few times a year that I would use a dedicated GPS unit certainly don't warrant the cost, so I'm looking for an app for my Android cell phone.  I searched the forum and found some older threads, but I'm wondering what others here are currently using.  I'm looking for a solution that does not require me to have a cellular data connection (Google Maps/Waze) and instead supports offline maps.  It also needs to have voice commands that over-ride my phones music player since it's more difficult to see a map on a phone as compared to a dedicated unit.  I've tried Co-Pilot and the early versions seemed to work better than the recent ones.  For some reason the voice commands are not reliable on any of the several android devices that I have.  The research that I've done point to the Sygic app.  I'm wondering if any of you have experience with that or if you have a program that you are using that you like.  

Google Maps is all I use. As I never need it (I never ride long ways through areas without cell coverage), I don't recall how to download the maps but I can say that Maps has never, not once ever, failed me. Live traffic reroutes and now speedtrap and other similar items are displayed.

Seriously, I can't imagine needing any more than what Google already provides.

Google maps does support offline maps... used it regularly. Not sure if Waze has that functionality as well.

Voice commands still seems a crapshoot, even on Pixel 3. 

• Like 1

The two Android apps that I see recommended most are Osmand and Locus. 

OsmAnd has 3 versions publicly available, all of which use OpenStreetMaps.

1: Osmand,  free version, restricted to 10 downloads (maps, voices, etc.)

2: Osmand+, $9.99 paid version, uncrippled.

3: Osmand~, free open source version, with all the features of Osmand+, but may be updated less often.

Locus was originally intended for biking and hiking but now works very well on the road. It uses a free background app called brouter to calculate routes offline, just install once and forget it.  Locus has more capabilities than any GPS I've seen, more map options (online and offline), and consequently a steeper learning curve. Good documentation helps you work out the details. The free version is restricted a bit, and has some ads, but it may be all you need. The Pro version ($11, but sometimes on sale) has so many features that I doubt that anyone uses them all.  My zumo is my primary GPS as it has a bigger, glove-friendly screen, but having Locus as a backup has saved me more than once.

• Like 1
Danny caddyshack Noonan

Didn't use it on a bike, but used OSM on a Europe trip six years ago.  Maps are downloaded offline and work (IIRC) in the app.  I had no issues, no data charges on a temp cell plan upgrade and all was well.  It got me where I wanted to go.  I seem to recall using it on foot in Germany and Austria.

• Like 1

The OP didn't say why he wanted to avoid data usage but I used Google Maps in Petropolis, Brazile, all over Europe and twice to SIngapore which used almost no data. In the past when I travel internationally I usually got some kind of limited data plan to save money and I never ran out of data or paid overages. This whole issue seems to me like a solution looking for a problem unless one is planning to travel to the Gobi desert or mountains of central Africa. 

PS - I'm not meaning to sound off, I'm sure there situation where an off-line navigator is needed, It's just that I use Google Maps constantly and in places spread all over the globe and never have any trouble so it's hard for me to understand why this would be needed.

2 hours ago, Pappy35 said:

...I'm not meaning to sound off, I'm sure there situation where an off-line navigator is needed, It's just that I use Google Maps constantly and in places spread all over the globe and never have any trouble so it's hard for me to understand why this would be needed.

Most of my day rides are loops on two lane roads in southeastern Ohio, and I can expect to be out of cellular range on every trip.  There may be towers out there, but the terrain blocks the signal.  

Locus has been helpful for more "pedestrian" purposes.  Set it to record a track of your movements and use it to find your way back to the car in large parking lots.  While hiking, the topo maps let me know what to expect, and it's shown me where I missed a turn so that I could backtrack when things looked unfamiliar. It records my daily exercise walks so I can check time, distance, route and speed. It lets me scale and overlay pictures over maps - load a picture of a site map (like at a park, rally or amusement park), position it over the map and match a few points, and you can easily see where you are in relation to where you want to be.

3 hours ago, Pappy35 said:

The OP didn't say why he wanted to avoid data usage but I used Google Maps in Petropolis, Brazile, all over Europe and twice to SIngapore which used almost no data. In the past when I travel internationally I usually got some kind of limited data plan to save money and I never ran out of data or paid overages. This whole issue seems to me like a solution looking for a problem unless one is planning to travel to the Gobi desert or mountains of central Africa. 

PS - I'm not meaning to sound off, I'm sure there situation where an off-line navigator is needed, It's just that I use Google Maps constantly and in places spread all over the globe and never have any trouble so it's hard for me to understand why this would be needed.

Actually, I am looking for a solution to the problem that I don't have a data plan on my phone.  I almost never use my cell phone.  It sit's on my handlebars as a motorcycle only device.  I don't carry it with me like others do.  It is my emergency call device only.  I have a very strong aversion to being tethered (more so now with frequent robo-calls).  In my case it makes no sense at all to pay a monthly fee for data.  And, that would be true even if having data were the only way to have GPS.  I've never not found my way using maps...even if some "exploring" occurred in the process.  But, it would be "handy" to have assistance in my ear to guide me through complex routes that I may want to ride in areas that I'm not familiar with.  

Google Maps are available for use offline and my phone does have wi-fi.  So, why not use that?  Because, as I mentioned, I want GPS assistance with complex routes and getting Google Maps to do that is frustrating.  I can type in start/end points and Google Maps will get me to where I need to go.  But, not how I want to get there.  The use of way points to force Maps into going the way I want is clumsy.  And, it's limited to ten without a workaround that uses yet another program.  I've used Co-Pilot in the past and while the old interface was complicated,  it was excellent performance wise.  For some reason, the voice prompts in the newer versions stop working shortly after beginning a trip, and it does this on all four of my Android devices.  So, I'm asking the group for their experience with Android GPS apps that do not need data and that store their maps offline on my phone's SD card.  

24 minutes ago, RPondaRoad said:

Actually, I am looking for a solution to the problem that I don't have a data plan on my phone.  I almost never use my cell phone.  It sit's on my handlebars as a motorcycle only device.  I don't carry it with me like others do.  It is my emergency call device only.  I have a very strong aversion to being tethered (more so now with frequent robo-calls).  In my case it makes no sense at all to pay a monthly fee for data.  And, that would be true even if having data were the only way to have GPS.  I've never not found my way using maps...even if some "exploring" occurred in the process.  But, it would be "handy" to have assistance in my ear to guide me through complex routes that I may want to ride in areas that I'm not familiar with.  

Google Maps are available for use offline and my phone does have wi-fi.  So, why not use that?  Because, as I mentioned, I want GPS assistance with complex routes and getting Google Maps to do that is frustrating.  I can type in start/end points and Google Maps will get me to where I need to go.  But, not how I want to get there.  The use of way points to force Maps into going the way I want is clumsy.  And, it's limited to ten without a workaround that uses yet another program.  I've used Co-Pilot in the past and while the old interface was complicated,  it was excellent performance wise.  For some reason, the voice prompts in the newer versions stop working shortly after beginning a trip, and it does this on all four of my Android devices.  So, I'm asking the group for their experience with Android GPS apps that do not need data and that store their maps offline on my phone's SD card.  

Afternoon  RPondaRoad

I have a riding friend that is pretty well in same boat as your are, he has an Android smart phone but no data service (long story on how he managed that). And, he refuses to go buy a decent GPS device (he is basically a follower) 

In any case some times his phone works OK for GPS positioning & sometimes it doesn't, without the data service his phone seems to have a difficult time tracking enough satellites to be accurate enough for turn by turn indications as it can't use the built in A-GPS. His phone doesn't  have the accurate satellite tracking (position predicting)  ability of my Garmin devices so once it loses a satellite (or 2 or 3) then it takes a long time to find more to lock onto.

It seems to work just good enough to get him to a destination but it sure isn't good enough to do turn by turn on a complicated route (especially if there is much tree cover over the road or in cities with tall buildings).

For all the time he has in trying to get his phone to keep up with real GPS riders he could have gotten a job mowing lawns for $4.00 an hour then bought a real GPS  & still had money left over to buy a coffee at Starbucks.   

Next time I see him I will ask what App he is currently using (I think he has pretty well tried them all by now).

I usually run my phone in tandem with my GPS mounted on my motorcycle but that is usually to allow a continuous real time weather map & occasionally a dip into Speedtrap.org (or the like), or to quickly bring up road congestion/accident  reports. 

• Like 1

Yup. No data plan. That would be a good reason. That just never occurred to me though it should have. The guy that I work next to (the guy has nine kids!) doesn't even own a mobile. 

Calimoto. I've installed the app on my phone and downloaded the map of Ohio (you can download one map for free, but have to pay if you want more). I use the Calimoto website on my computer to plan and save a route. Then open the route in the app and start the turn by turn navigation.

• Like 1

Hello,

I have a data plan but often find myself in West Virginia where I do not have coverage. The app I use for that is Here WeGo

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.here.app.maps&hl=en_US

Once installed you will have to download maps. What i like though is that you can choose state by state. Even in the mountains around my home I have never had a problem. You might have to periodically link it to the web to update but it has been great for me with an interface similar to Google Maps. I believe it was developed by Nokia. It has a day and night mode as well as voice instructions but I don't like to listen to voice instructions on any GPS app or device. Best of luck to you.

Google Maps has "recently" improved some features including built-in offline maps with routes for areas or riders without cell service, plus traffic, speed traps, etc.   Just reading about it here:

mapshttps://www.cnet.com/how-to/4-hidden-google-maps-tricks-you-probably-arent-using-but-should/?ftag=CAD3c77551&bhid=22228536213621173969907686642980

I still use and trust the excellent (and free) Waze app for the best maps, real time traffic and detours, both on the bike and in the car.  The data usage is negligible.  My Garmins are now backup basically.

3 hours ago, Lowndes said:

I still use and trust the excellent (and free) Waze app for the best maps, real time traffic and detours, both on the bike and in the car.  The data usage is negligible.  My Garmins are now backup basically.

Waze is my go-to for when I just need to get from point A to point B as quickly as possible. I only wish its navigation would stay active and working with the phone screen turned off. I've tried just setting my destination and then dropping my phone in my pocket to use voice turn by turn and alerts in my helmet bluetooth, but sadly that won't work. With Google maps it will, but not with Waze.

Thanks to everyone here who responded to help me out.  Here's what I did:

I looked at all of the offline apps that you suggested by going to their websites to get an idea if they met my needs.  I looked at Calimoto, Locus, OsmAnd and the popular Sygic.  I put OsmAnd and Sygic on my phone for trials.  OsmAnd has a route limit of only 250km without doing a workaround, and the setting of waypoints in order to create a unique route didn't seem to work out.  Sygic, on the other hand worked much better for me.  While it's a little confusing as to what options live on the screen during route planning vs. driving, once I figured it out using net searches, it clicked.  Here's what I found:  Route instructions are very accurate.  My cheap phone probably doesn't have as good of a GPS receiver in it as others, but over the past week of testing it's been pretty good.  There are settings for how much info you get in your ear.  I like that the way I have it set up tells me when to go straight at large intersections as well as when to turn.  This may drive others nuts with too much info, but be assured that while driving a long stretch on the open road, Sygic is pretty quiet.  But, when looking for a hotel in downtown NewCity, this is very helpful.  Sygic will route you to your destination simply by typing in it's address or by touching it on a map.  It will direct you along a route based on the normal parameters found in these apps based on toll roads, motorways, etc.   But you can also create a custom route with easy to access waypoints.  As mentioned above, I want the app for complex routes, so for me, this is the ticket.  Either way, Sygic has kept me on course for the time I have been doing the trial.

But, what happens if you get off course intentionally, like following a detour.  Well, it's interesting.  If you have simply put in your destination and accept Sygic's route, when you get off course, it will recalibrate your route to your destination for you automatically.  But, if you have put in waypoints, it will not.  Instead it tries to get you to go to the first waypoint that you've missed.  This isn't the end of the world, since you can easily delete a waypoint.  But, you have to access the screen of your device for that, and in my case that means that I have to stop the bike.  Not a big deal. 

Sygic's voice synth is remarkably understandable and there are a large number of languages and voice styles to choose from.  There are more to download if you like.  There are three modes of voice delivery.  Phone speaker only, Bluetooth or Phone.  Phone speaker only is self-explanatory, Bluetooth speaks to you through your Bluetooth helmet device (or car BT system) and lowers your music volume if you have music playing.  Phone is like Bluetooth, but it stops your music when Sygic issues a command.  I use an HJC RPHA 90 helmet with a Cardo Freedom4+ communicator sitting outside of 32db foam earplugs and never miss a directional command using either Bluetooth or Phone.  

The free version of Sygic includes the use of one map.  But I frequently ride from California into Nevada and at times go north to Oregon and Washington.  I also have a home in Italy where I would like to use GPS, so I purchased the Premium Worldwide version for $25.  Since the maps are offline and along with the app sit on my phone's SD card, I can continue not having to pay for an expensive data plan.  I think that's quite a bargain in the long term.  

Thanks again to all of you who offered your advice and suggestions.  What a great forum!

rick