IGNORED

Helmet to Helmet Intercom

beemer2000

Just received a second intercom from JC Whitney. The first one cost $49.95 and would only work when you were not moving. Even tried coasting, thinking the ignition was somehow interferring. Nada! Sent it back for a full refund and ordered intercom no. 2 for $69.95 (upgraded to the next level!) Same results. It only works when the motorcycle isn't moving?? What gives with this? VOX picking up wind noise? I give up. Even at 25 MPH and coasting it will not function.

Has anyone had experience with these units.

I can't wait for someone to tell me to spend $700 bucks on a J&M or whatever. These JC Whitney units were made for communication between two helmets on a motorcycle going down the road. Surely I am not the only person having this problem. confused.gif

Is this a corded or wireless intercom you are referring to?

More information beyond, "...from JC Whitney" please.

I can't wait for someone to tell me to spend $700 bucks on a J&M or whatever.

If all you're looking for is an intercom, Autocom has just released their new 2006 lineup.

There's a very nice intercom/comm unit (Kit 100) for around $219. Some dealers even have them at an introductory $199. This is a solo kit, and it allows you to plug in music and a cell phone or other audio device (radar or GPS or ???). Add a second headset for around $79 and you've got a great basic system.

If you think you might want to add a few more accessory inputs, the Kit 200 has more features and can even be expanded to include optional bike-to-bike communication. Intro price is under $300.

And for everything but the kitchen sink, there's the Kit 300. Around $379 intro price.

If you don't know where your nearest Autocom dealer is located, give Autocom USA a call at 888-851-4327.

JC Whitney?????? eek.gif Harrrrumph! dopeslap.gif

Ken they are both wired. They both work fine sitting still (I guess no wind noise??) But as soon as you start moving zilch. The first one ($49.95) would just get real fuzzy when you start moving. I tried coasting, nothing worked.

Yesterday I had the new one ($69.95 NADY) installed. Practically the same results. It is very clear with ample volume while you are not moving. But just as soon as you start moving it starts popping and stops working. When you stop it starts back working. Turning it off & back on will make it work for a few seconds but then zilch. I somehow think it is related to the VOX feature.

Thanks for your input.

Not to beat the dead horse.... grin.gif

You can pick up used Autocoms on ebay occasionally for much cheaper, though the price Fernando mentioned is pretty low. Once I figured out they had the best system, I just went about how to find a cheaper one. smirk.gif

Not to beat the dead horse.... grin.gif

You can pick up used Autocoms on ebay occasionally for much cheaper, though the price Fernando mentioned is pretty low. Once I figured out they had the best system, I just went about how to find a cheaper one. smirk.gif

True. For example as people move up to some of the newer 2006 Autocom models, you can probably pick up a used Pro-7 for very little. Just be sure to get the headsets as well, and make sure they haven't been hacked up. If you end up buying a used Autocom and have to buy two new headsets, it could end up costing as much as a new one. So check carefully with the seller and see if you can get some sort of guarantee of performance from him/her.

A couple of thoughts,are you wearing open faced helmets?looking at their site it`s possible that the vox is set to low so as soon as you move the wind trips it on,is it adjustable?as i say just a couple of thoughts dopeslap.gif

Regards Del

Just got off the phone with NADY and finally got them to admit that the mic that comes with the PMC-2X is designed for full coverage helmets. I am using open face Shoei helmets. I will try the unit with full coverage helmets soon and report back. I have my doubts!

And thanks again to everyone for all the responses. clap.gif

Might I suggest Motocomm. I have been using there set up for a couple of year. For the price $150, they cant be beat. The set comes with two headsets. Both full and open face mikes are included. Has inputs for a two way radio, cell phone, and music device.

OK, not everything is perfect. The head sets are not robust. We had to send one back when it quit working. Customer servcie was good. They sent the new one before we returned the old one. I do find it suseptable to wind noise. With no windshield, I dont know how well it will work for you.

Yankee Dog

Archived