IGNORED

R1150RT / ST1300 / R1250RT

robofavo

In a personal quest to find the sport-tourer that rings my bell the hardest... 

I first came to this site with a newly acquired super low milage 02 R1150RT that I never got around  to exorcising a surging engine, like a beautiful women with bad habits the aesthetics of the RT wooed me for a year or so until i couldn't stand her anymore.  Happily moved onto a nice 05 ST1300 - really great bike, did just about everything well except high speed cruising - the dreaded pan-weave is real especially in the sweet spot of 70-80 MPH.  Get behind a big-rig at those speeds and you better be paying attention to the front wheel.  Now I'm back, with a brand new '19 RT1250RT. Was intending to purchase a low milage R1200RT wet head - until I test rode an '18 & '19 RT back to back - then there was no looking back. I had acquired an R1250RT fever.  This is my first brand new bike - I'll call it a once in lifetime purchase.  It's so awesome - so smooth, powerful and fast.  It's arguably the nicest bike I've had the privilege to ride.  I like to say it rides like velvet. Blue velvet. (It's the dark-dark blue color) Anyway looking for recommendations on highway pegs - engine guards , bag protectors, and a decent tank bag for medium distances since all my other magnetic tank bags are now obsolete.  Thank you! 

IMG_6181.jpg

• Like 5

Nice bike, although you will have a hard time keeping up with the Mars red Metallic colored RT's.  HA

I went with http://www.iliumworks.com/R_1250_RT.cfm for the engine / side case guards.  They work, trust me.  You will need to get their bracket for the OEM auxillary liights.  They were easy to install with their instructions, coupled with their online video.

i also went with https://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-non-electric-quick-lock-evo-daypack-tank-bag  They mount around the gas cap for easy on / off release to fuel (set it down on the handlebar/dash area while you fuel up, not the gas pump!)  I do not need a large one and this one works for me; no issues with viewing instrument panel or contact with the bar grips.

I have photos in my gallery.  Feel free to come on in and look around.  I can post pics here, but I did not want to taint your thread with pics of the fastest colored RT.  Just sayin'

Cheers,

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My '15 RT is for sales right now, but I am waiting for spring to order my 2020 1250RT.

For crash bars, I have the Wunderlich on my '15 RT for both front and back, but I won't recommend them!  If you are an aggressive rider in curves, you will find that on occasions, the Wunderlich front bar will touch down very soon after your footpeg touches the ground.  I will be putting a Ztechnik bars in front of my to-be new 1250.  http://www.nationalcycle.com/catalogs/engine-guards-zt.html (scroll down and click on Application Chart to see the model for your bike).  I will keep the Wunderlich rear bars for the new bike, since that's quite fine for solo rider, and doesn't touch down on hard lean.  I have heard, and seen pictures of the Illium rear bars touching down, otherwise I would have selected that for the new ride!

On 10/30/2019 at 4:32 AM, wbw6cos said:

Nice bike, although you will have a hard time keeping up with the Mars red Metallic colored RT's.  HA

I went with http://www.iliumworks.com/R_1250_RT.cfm for the engine / side case guards.  They work, trust me.  You will need to get their bracket for the OEM auxillary liights.  They were easy to install with their instructions, coupled with their online video.

i also went with https://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-non-electric-quick-lock-evo-daypack-tank-bag  They mount around the gas cap for easy on / off release to fuel (set it down on the handlebar/dash area while you fuel up, not the gas pump!)  I do not need a large one and this one works for me; no issues with viewing instrument panel or contact with the bar grips.

I have photos in my gallery.  Feel free to come on in and look around.  I can post pics here, but I did not want to taint your thread with pics of the fastest colored RT.  Just sayin'

Cheers,

Yes, those Mars Red bikes are quick, I test rode a '18 1200 Mars red with the shorty sport screen, too fast for my blood  :bike: 
Thank you for your suggestions for Illumworks products - they are beautiful and most likely what I'll be installing once the snow begins to fall in our soon to be frozen north. 
You're also the 3rd person to also suggest the Motech tank bags - so they're a must-have item.  I did see RT specific tank bags at Revzilla, but not going to bite for $300 + I'll save that money for engine guards.   Thanks again. 

21 hours ago, PadG said:

My '15 RT is for sales right now, but I am waiting for spring to order my 2020 1250RT.

For crash bars, I have the Wunderlich on my '15 RT for both front and back, but I won't recommend them!  If you are an aggressive rider in curves, you will find that on occasions, the Wunderlich front bar will touch down very soon after your footpeg touches the ground.  I will be putting a Ztechnik bars in front of my to-be new 1250.  http://www.nationalcycle.com/catalogs/engine-guards-zt.html (scroll down and click on Application Chart to see the model for your bike).  I will keep the Wunderlich rear bars for the new bike, since that's quite fine for solo rider, and doesn't touch down on hard lean.  I have heard, and seen pictures of the Illium rear bars touching down, otherwise I would have selected that for the new ride!

Thanks for the suggestion - did go to national cycles site, they state the crash bars are out of stock - maybe for the season? May need to give them a call to find out.  The RT definitely corners well enough to scrape the pegs, would not want to dirty up a pricey set of crash bars so these may be the answer-if they are still available.  Thanks again. 

45 minutes ago, robofavo said:

Thanks for the suggestion - did go to national cycles site, they state the crash bars are out of stock - maybe for the season? May need to give them a call to find out.  The RT definitely corners well enough to scrape the pegs, would not want to dirty up a pricey set of crash bars so these may be the answer-if they are still available.  Thanks again. 

If you do scrape pegs, as I do, then stay away from the Illium rear bars!  It's one thing to touch down with the Wunderlich front bar and slide along a lateral rail, but the way that the Illium rear bar touches down can be dangerous since it looks like it would be possible to snag something on the ground with it!  That's just based on the pictures that I have seen in the other forum.

I think that you had also asked about tankbag.  Do NOT buy the BMW tankbag.  I won't get into the reasons, since tankbags had been discussed before, but take that as my own personal experience.  I had recently bought the SW Motech tankbag (City), and that is coming off the 1200 to go on the new bike.  I do like this bag, and the model that I had bought has about the same volume as the BMW bag, but can be expanded for additional volume.

Just for general information . . . . .

This is the picture of the underside of the rear Illium bar that had touched down (picture was posted in the other forum}:

XKRRXMi.jpg

The next picture is the one that I had posted, also in the other forum.  It shows the underside of the lateral rail of the Wunderlich front bar.  The blobby gray stuff around the scrape mark is my attempt to cover the "wound" with epoxy, which was scrapped off the next time that the bar touched down!  Similar scrape mark is also on the other bar:

151253d1556210578-iliumworks-wunderlich-

• 1 year later...

Guys, I am looking for several websites and your suggestions as well, and I found an OEM BMW roll engine crash bars and rear too, check phone number 1-888-339-3888, or visit https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2016-bmw-r1200rt/o/m157912#sch951077, and https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2016-bmw-r1200rt/o/m157912#sch951034

Do someone have any experience with it?

EXPLOSION VIEW ENGINE ROLL BAR, AUTHORITY VEHICLES - 2016 BMW R1200RT.pdf EXPLOSION VIEW REAR SAFETY BAR - 2016 BMW R1200RT.pdf