IGNORED

Used fuel strip. Need to re-calibrate to bike installed to?

KDeline

36 minutes ago, KDeline said:

Title says it all. Does a used fuel strip need to be calibrated to the bike it is going into? I assume so....R1200RT, 2009, 35000 miles.

Afternoon KDeline

New or previously installed in another motorcycle? 

It really should be calibrated into YOUR motorcycle for best accuracy. 

I have seen a few go in & work OK but most will be off calibration. (especially the reserve).

The strip needs to be totally dry (completely dried out) __ like overnight dried out, to properly calibrate.  So once it is installed & gets fuel on it then it becomes a REAL PAIN to calibrate. 

5 hours ago, dirtrider said:

The strip needs to be totally dry (completely dried out) __ like overnight dried out, to properly calibrate.  So once it is installed & gets fuel on it then it becomes a REAL PAIN to calibrate. 

So how do you calibrate the totally dry strip?

12 hours ago, sach7581 said:

So how do you calibrate the totally dry strip?

If the motorcycle is under 12 years from original sales date (no mileage restriction) then BMW dealer will replace the fuel strip & calibrate it under the BMW extended fuel strip warranty  for free.  This requires them to use the  BMW Motorrad diagnostic system  (requires dry fuel strip)_

If doing it yourself then the GS-911  has a fuel strip calibrating function (also requires dry fuel strip)_ 

I'm buying a used fuel pump to replace the broken one I have and it is coming with a fuel strip. If I can re-calibrate it to another bike, I will keep for a spare after the 12 year warranty is expired.

18 hours ago, KDeline said:

I'm buying a used fuel pump to replace the broken one I have and it is coming with a fuel strip. If I can re-calibrate it to another bike, I will keep for a spare after the 12 year warranty is expired.

Afternoon  KDeline

No problem as long as it is functional & dry you can use it in the future.   

On 10/31/2019 at 3:10 PM, dirtrider said:

Afternoon  KDeline

No problem as long as it is functional & dry you can use it in the future.   

Yup, no idea if it works, just comes with the fuel pump. Maybe I will never have to find out......